• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where are the Victim's rights?

WARCHILD

This is so absurd it makes me want to puke!
I won't reprint the article, with the current copy right issues flying around the web. Here is the basic info of the story posted by the Flint Journal, MLive on the web.

Wed. Aug 4th, 11:00pm.
Five men approached this man in his own yard for an attempted robbery. He draws his own pistol shoots and kills one man (who had a gun), wounds two others, and the other two fled. Score one for the citizen who refused to be a victim.

This is where I want to puke. In my opinion, I feel the Flint URINAL...my opinion of what their name should be; has no moral common sense in their reporting.

They can't identify the bad guys, but; they post the intended victim's; NAME, ADDRESS, AND A PICTURE OF HIS HOUSE!!!! On the MLive website!!!

In my opinion; If this citizen has ANY kind of retribution enacted against him by the "bad guys"...FRIENDS... the FLINT JOURNAL and MLive, should be responsible for anything that happens to him or his property.
How much more irresponsible can the media get?

PDinDetroit

Letter To The Editor

Marjory Raymer,
Community Editor
mraymer@flintjournal.com

Dear Marjory Raymer,

The following news article link below describes a Self-Defense shooting that occurred recently in Flint. While the story needs to be told, this person's full name and address have been posted to a public news site. I feel that this may further endanger this person and his family. Please remove his personal information with all due haste.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/08/man_who_shot_three_people_who.html

Sincerely,

PDinDetroit

WARCHILD

While I applaud your thoughts and efforts PD...but the horse is out of the barn. Once something is posted out here...there's no taking it back.
I have in the meantime also sent off and email letting them know my displeasure of their posting such a thing.

PDinDetroit

While I applaud your thoughts and efforts PD...but the horse is out of the barn. Once something is posted out here...there's no taking it back.
I have in the meantime also sent off and email letting them know my displeasure of their posting such a thing.

Agreed.

Probably not that hard with some "google fu" to do the same to the editor/reporter in the comments section of the article. However, 2 wrongs do not make a right and this should not be done.

WARCHILD

Also agreed; I would like nothing better than to do it to them and see how they feel about it. But, that would put me down to their irresponsible mental level.
I was truly shocked when I seen the article, utter disbelief that even THEY would be so stupid.

Slave

me email is sent also. The Flint Journal needs to be sued and fined over this. I won't buy another one of their rags until they make this situation right.

Bailenforcer

copyright issues

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...hat-can-I-post-or-paste&p=1324725#post1324725

Above is a little on copyright issues.

I won't reprint the article, with the current copy right issues flying around the web. Here is the basic info of the story posted by the Flint Journal, MLive on the web.

Five men approached this man in his own yard for an attempted robbery. He draws his own pistol shoots and kills one man (who had a gun), wounds two others, and the other two fled. Score one for the citizen who refused to be a victim.

This is where I want to puke. In my opinion, I feel the Flint URINAL...my opinion of what their name should be; has no moral common sense in their reporting.

They can't identify the bad guys, but; they post the intended victim's; NAME, ADDRESS, AND A PICTURE OF HIS HOUSE!!!! On the MLive website!!!

In my opinion; If this citizen has ANY kind of retribution enacted against him by the "bad guys"...FRIENDS... the FLINT JOURNAL and MLive, should be responsible for anything that happens to him or his property.

Bailenforcer

If it were me I would get a lawyer fast and sue the Flint rag Journal, and Mlive for posting private information and endangering myself and my household. There was and never will be any good reason to do what they did, and they should pay a heavy price for this.

PDinDetroit

anything on the Internet is public information, even if it's encrypted IMHO, to expect anything else is an unreasonable thought. I wish a court would rule this way.

Each state has it's own law about what comprises Personal Information and what would require protection from disclosure, including encryption of data at rest, during transport, and display/access to such. In MI, the combination of First Name or Initial, Last Name, and Address do not qualify in the classification of Personal Information as protected by law.

Still, I would bet a savvy lawyer would be able to help.

malignity

Two things come to mind here:

1.) Sue the hell out of the media outlet responsible. Big win on payday.

2.) This man just single handedly shot at and held off 5 men attempting to do him harm. Obviously he's armed, and obviously he doesn't want to be messed with. Unless you have a bazooka, you'd damned well better leave him alone. ;)

Agent1

Fyi

Thanks for the response. We obviously do not see eye to eye on the matter. There is no need to reply to this. I understand your position but I in no way agree with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:03:22 -0400
To: Agent1@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Mr.Golden

Agent1,

Thanks for the note. There has been a lot of anonymous criticism of my reporting, and you are only the third person out of all the comments and phone calls to have the courage to identify yourself by name. It may sound weird, but I truly appreciate that.
To address your concerns. I truly don't believe I am putting Mr. Golden in danger. Remember there are still two other suspects, at large, that know exactly which house it is. Even if they don't, all anyone has to do is go to the Flint Police station and look and the press release that has the victim's name and address.
Most of all, people talk amongst each other. You would not believe when I was out in the neighborhood how many people slowly drove by and looked at the house — and this was before I published the name and address. The people who wanted to know where this guy lived and who he was already knew well before my story was ever published.
I wish no harm on to Mr. Golden or his family. I hope no one tries anything (and when you think about it, why would you? the dude will shoot you!).
Obviously I have been torn to shreds over my story. But I stand behind my decision.
Again, thanks so much for your note.

David Harris
Flint Journal Staff Writer
Phone: (810) 766-6315
E-mail: dharris@flintjournal.com
mlive.com/flint

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----Original Message-----
To: dharris@flintjournal.com
Date: 08/06/10 04:33 PM
Subject: Mr.Golden

Way to go! Way to endanger the life of this poor man further by plastering his name, address and a picture of his home all over the news. You are an irresponsible disgrace to journalism. If the gang banger friends of these punks take retribution on this citizen for shooting up their homies, you sir, should be held responsible. Why don't you put your address in your next article so concerned citizens can call on you for the latest News in person.
Agent1

PDinDetroit

Here is my email:

David Harris
Flint Journal Staff Writer

Mr David Harris,

You recently did a story about a Self-Defense shooting in Flint and wanted to provide some feedback on this. I thought the article was well written, but there was no defining need to to publish Mr. Golden's Name and Address in telling the story. There have been other news articles that told the same story, but did not release this person's address and told the story completely as the story is the self-defense shooting, not a specific person's address.

I understand you do not believe you put this person in harms way. You have done precisely this and may open yourself and your news organization up to possible civil litigation, especially if a subsequent criminal action is taken against him or his family. While it is Public Information, one must take additional action to determine a person's address by going to the Police Station to obtain the report.

If you have no issues with publishing a person's name and address, then I request you to post your Name and Address Information with your news articles since people want to know where a person who writes stories lives. You may find this request ridiculous but you must ask yourself how you feel about your personal information being released on the Public Internet.

Sincerely,

PDinDetroit