• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Fair OC?

Flanders007

I will be there AND I will be OC. I will be with my family that lives down here in Vancouver (sister has been nagging me to bring her more guns and coffee tshirts)...

So... I was wondering if anyone else would be willing to OC with me on Friday afternoon/evening? Considering the hot weather there is no way I will be wearing anything other than shorts and a T-shirt (guess what kind... hehe) and my purple Huskies cap... going to do the fair Friday afternoon and then then demo derby that evening...

Already read all of the postings and talked with my sister and her family and they are 100% supportive of my OC'ing...

If anyone wants to meet me down there and/or get a t-shirt off me, please feel free to PM me or email me at ilovegunsandcoffee@gmail.com or give me a call at 206-569-5487 so we can coordinate.

Flanders

bwboley

Activist Member
I will be going tonight to watch the quad races i probley losely cc meaning side holster with t shirt kinda covering and i have a quick recored on my cell

xylex

Activist Member
Clark County Fair is an establish private entity that uses public property to have their fairgrounds. It is not a government sponsored fair. After looking into it (and calling the fairgrounds), they do claim to be a private company.

The fair used to be run private non-profit, the Clark County Fair Association, but since 2005, it's run been run by a government agency, the Fairground Site Management Group - http://www.co.clark.wa.us/general-services/fsmg/fsmg.html.

From the Clark County Auditor report, "Since the County changed fairgrounds management from a private organization, Clark County Fair Association, to a quasi government organization, Fairgrounds Site Management Group, the transition has been a learning experience in public accountability." (http://www.clark.wa.gov/auditor/documents/audit/AudSvcsRpt06-01_Final_Fairgrounds.pdf).

Sounds like they're up for another learning experience tonight.

Last edited:

joejoejoe

How did the OC go at the fair? I am curious. After going there tonight, I do not think I would like to OC in such a large crowd. I'd be too nervous thinking someone would take it from me. Too many bodies too close to my holster.

Joe~

Flanders007

How did the OC go at the fair? I am curious. After going there tonight, I do not think I would like to OC in such a large crowd. I'd be too nervous thinking someone would take it from me. Too many bodies too close to my holster.

Joe~

OC went well today/tonight. Got a few looks and I know some LEO saw me carrying, but none of them said a word to me. When I went inside the shopping pavilion where all the vendors were setup selling their wares I caught 2 sheriffs deputies out of the corner of my eye as I was walking with my family. They were looking in my direction as we were walking toward them... I was talking to my sister and I just sort of glanced over at them as we walked by. Granted my weak (left) side was toward them, so I'm not sure if they noticed my black pistol/black serpa on a white t-shirt... but when I glanced over at them again they started walking the other way. I'm sort of mad now that I didn't walk up to them to see if they wanted a tshirt...

All in all I spent about 5 hours at the fair. 1 hr spent walking around/eating... another hour watching the dock dogs jump into the water, 3 hours watching the demo derby and about another hour checking out the vendors in the pavilion.

It was a good fair and while I got a few looks from the younger crowd (whispers/pointing) most adults either didn't notice my pistol or just didn't care. I did however give out www.ilovegunsandcoffee.com to at least a dozen people who asked where I got my tshirt ::grin::

Oh, one last thing Joe - I understand about the crowd... there were quite a few people there, so I made sure that my right arm was free 99% of the time. When I felt someone close, I would put my elbow on the butt of my pistol. Additionally, I was with my sister, bro-in-law and all 3 of their kids, plus their friends... so we had quite a big group. I made sure that I was in the middle of the group and made sure my strong side stayed toward the middle of our group as we made our way through the crowd.

joejoejoe

I am impressed you got in. As my wife and I entered into the fair, we had to "check our bags." I thought it was funny because you know they were probably looking for just that - firearms. Did no one say anything to you when you came through the front?

Joe~

Phssthpok

Updating my previous post on this old thread due to a similar situation going on over in Virginia. In doing some refreshing of the mind on this situation I found that some of the links in my previous post were not valid. It took some doing but I updated where I could and noted such in the post.

It seems as though CC is up to it's old tricks again as the link for the fairgrounds CLAIMS that it is "not a Parks and Recreation facility." Maybe not...but it's still county OWNED. Also...there is no longer any reference to the Fairgrounds Site Management Group (you know...the folks 'contracted' to run the site). Instead they are referring solely to the Clark County Fair Association as the operators of the fair.

HOWEVER...the Fairgrounds Site Management Group is still very much alive and active as a predominantly government entity and is, in fact, comprised of some of the very same members of the CCFA, all of which still have clark.wa.gov Email tags. In other words...the county STILL has their fingers deep in the Clark County Fair pie.

To recap: The site is government owned. The Fair is (predominantly) government run. Carry, by law, cannot be prohibited. Claims of 'trespass' (based solely on your possession of a sidearm) are void as you have every legal right to be there.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any new information to add to this? I expect to be going to the fair to help out a local candidate or two provided that I will not be kicked out for open carry.

Rick - Gun Rights Coalition

Bill Starks

State Researcher
http://www.clark.wa.gov/general-services/fsmg/fsmg.html
The Fairgrounds Site Management Group manages, operates and markets the Clark County Fairgrounds Facilities. The group consists of 5 appointed directors. Two directors are appointed by the Clark County Fair Association and three directors are appointed by Clark County. One of the County appointments shall be a senior county staff member who shall act as chairman and shall vote only in the event of a tie.

another old thread on the subject:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?47425-Clark-County-Fair

Last edited:

RocknR

Checking the 2013-2014 budget Items it lists Clark county Washington general items

Clark County Fair
Operations and Maint. $383,078

Fairgrounds
Administration $1,690,619

Clark County Fair $5,644,392

Events $815,738

Department Total: $8,533,827

what is private about any part of the fair or grounds

Last edited: