• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Gun Carry in a Vehicle

utbob2004

Sorry no one posted before the end of the weekend to your question. If you DO NOT have a concealed carry permit from NC then your shotgun has to be UNLOADED and ammunition stored separately. Now if you DO have a permit, according the the dept. of safety website (www.tennessee.gov/safety),

Public Chapter 431 – Loaded Rifles and Shotguns in Vehicles – This act allows a person with a handgun carry permit to possess a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in a privately owned vehicle. The act provides that the weapon cannot have ammunition in the chamber except in the case that an individual permit holder feels physically threatened.
Effective Date: June 12, 2009.

Not many police officers know this but I have found out that State Troopers generally have a better understanding of carry laws here in Tennessee. Hope this could have helped you out!