• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC Nightline: The Open-Carry Controversy

PDinDetroit

The following article covers the same info and has COMMENTS. This one quoted below is priceless!

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/ope...sroots-groups/comments?type=story&id=11313221

If seeing someone openly carrying a gun makes you nervous there is a good chance it is because it forces you to realize that you have chosen to be helpless. What other magic do you believe in? A gun will magically transform a normal person into a raving maniac, a "Law" will magicallly make violence go away, the police will magically apppear when you need them. Childlike dependance on the actions of someone else for the safety of your self and your family is what the Brady's of the world are promoting, they hope to be the parents but are not up to the job. But they will dance in the blood of their victims to get a paycheck.

lil_freak_66

I liked it,we got more air time than the brady bunch did.

I just wish they would've gotten it right on how many states allow carry,and published the statistics proving more guns means less crime.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I thought it was a fair video. Sadly we, "law abiding gun rights advocates" always seem to be mentioned after a work place shooting rampage or other ILLEGAL use of firearms? Overtime I hope the media stops this practice, as it builds a subconscious link between us and the "bad guys" in many viewers minds IMOH.

Bailenforcer

That guilt by association tactic of starting with a shooting by some monster then on with the show is deliberate and calculated. It is designed to make people horrified while watching people like us. It is a despicable tactic of the media.

I thought it was a fair video. Sadly we, "law abiding gun rights advocates" always seem to be mentioned after a work place shooting rampage or other ILLEGAL use of firearms? Overtime I hope the media stops this practice, as it builds a subconscious link between us and the "bad guys" in many viewers minds IMOH.

PDinDetroit

That guilt by association tactic of starting with a shooting by some monster then on with the show is deliberate and calculated. It is designed to make people horrified while watching people like us. It is a despicable tactic of the media.

Agreed.

Far too many people have been conditioned (READ:BRAINWASHED) to believe that Guns are bad, to be feared, and cause many crimes. This is emotion-based reaction instead of intellect-based reasoning. Since emotions are easier to manipulate than intellect, this becomes a very effective "marketing technique" and causes many to "buy" the "product" - FEAR. Fear allows for people to go to great lengths in giving up Freedoms.

What we do everyday with Open Carry helps to change this, especially with a neat appearance and professional, friendly attitude. I reject any notion that we should engage in emotional manipulation in an effort to get our "product" sold.

Maybe we need another T-Shirt that would help get the point across:

This person is Open Carrying a Firearm. They are:

Cop
Criminal
Cowboy
Citizen

The 4 choices would have a check box of the left of them, with a big check mark in the one next to Citizen.

malignity

Maybe we need another T-Shirt that would help get the point across:

The 4 choices would have a check box of the left of them, with a big check mark in the one next to Citizen.

I really like this idea. I'd buy a shirt that had that.. however, I do wonder if this could possibly break section 2 of the brandishing clause (2. To display ostentatiously), therefore purposely drawing attention to your firearm needlessly. We don't want people getting into legal issues because of it; which is why the "I have nothing to hide" shirt with the arrow pointing at the gun really never took off. I know some people have them, but the legal ramifications have been stated over and over when it comes to that. Maybe if the shirt was reworded a bit, it could be used, I dunno.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Seriously folks.... an unpaid for opinion follows.

We don't need no stinkin' shirts!!!!!

OC "T" shirts are, to my mind, the same as CC badges.....

Just carry the damn gun and be done with it.

Chrome coytoe

I agree. If we start doing things to draw attention to the OC'ed weapon, next thing you know we will all be accused of "showing off" or trying to "intimidate" the non-carrying public.

autosurgeon

Seriously folks.... an unpaid for opinion follows.

We don't need no stinkin' shirts!!!!!

OC "T" shirts are, to my mind, the same as CC badges.....

Just carry the damn gun and be done with it.

AMEN!

We need to be seen as average folks who just happen to be OCing!

Now when manning an info table or doing a presentation I wear my MOC Inc shirt but most of the rest of the time just dress casual!

Evil Creamsicle

to quote my own sig line seems appropriate here.

"If the regents required people to drive without seat belts, they'd share responsibility for the resulting traffic deaths. Gun bans deserve equal moral condemnation." Brian T. Schwartz, Research Associate for the Independence Institute