Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Legal areas to target shoot at Greenwater?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048

    Legal areas to target shoot at Greenwater?

    As many times as I've been to Greenwater, I always hear campers firing off their weapons. I've also seen some "No shooting" signs issued by Pierce County ordinances at the beginning of some routes. It was to my knowledge that many of these routes are in fact owned and maintained by U.S. Forest Service.

    Does anyone know the legalities of target shooting out there? I know everyone does it, but of course, that does not necessarily mean it's legal.

    Anyone know?

  2. #2
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    As many times as I've been to Greenwater, I always hear campers firing off their weapons. I've also seen some "No shooting" signs issued by Pierce County ordinances at the beginning of some routes. It was to my knowledge that many of these routes are in fact owned and maintained by U.S. Forest Service.

    Does anyone know the legalities of target shooting out there? I know everyone does it, but of course, that does not necessarily mean it's legal.

    Anyone know?
    You can shoot anywhere on forest service land. We camped out at the Dalles a couple of weeks ago and some folks were shooting a ways up FSR 73 with no problems.

    I OC'd in the park (FS park) with no issues.

    There is restrictions in Greenwater city limits....per the signage.

    We've been chasing Pierce County for a week on the "guns allowed" issue and I just verified that Pierce County Parks and Trails are no longer "guns prohibited", but remain "no discharge".
    Last edited by jt59; 08-06-2010 at 12:56 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048
    Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    You can shoot anywhere on forest service land. We camped out at the Dalles a couple of weeks ago and some folks were shooting a ways up FSR 73 with no problems.

    I OC'd in the park (FS park) with no issues.

    There is restrictions in Greenwater city limits....per the signage.

    We've been chasing Pierce County for a week on the "guns allowed" issue and I just verified that Pierce County Parks and Trails are no longer "guns prohibited", but remain "no discharge".
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I noticed the Pierce County signs were at a lot of the trails within city limits, but I didn't see any signs in the actual area under the Forest Service jurisdiction.

  4. #4
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I noticed the Pierce County signs were at a lot of the trails within city limits, but I didn't see any signs in the actual area under the Forest Service jurisdiction.
    Cool, The parks director told me the signage for all Pierce County parks and trails has been changed....

    As you out and about, note any "No Guns" signs on PC parks and trails that may have gotten missed......and I'll forward them on to him for correction or complaint.

    Gentle Pressure......................applied relentlessly

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048
    Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Cool, The parks director told me the signage for all Pierce County parks and trails has been changed....

    As you out and about, note any "No Guns" signs on PC parks and trails that may have gotten missed......and I'll forward them on to him for correction or complaint.

    Gentle Pressure......................applied relentlessly
    Just got back. I didn't see any of the old gun signs that use to be posted. The only signs I saw before said "No shooting". I didn't even see those anymore.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •