• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal areas to target shoot at Greenwater?

Aaron1124

As many times as I've been to Greenwater, I always hear campers firing off their weapons. I've also seen some "No shooting" signs issued by Pierce County ordinances at the beginning of some routes. It was to my knowledge that many of these routes are in fact owned and maintained by U.S. Forest Service.

Does anyone know the legalities of target shooting out there? I know everyone does it, but of course, that does not necessarily mean it's legal.

Anyone know?

jt59

As many times as I've been to Greenwater, I always hear campers firing off their weapons. I've also seen some "No shooting" signs issued by Pierce County ordinances at the beginning of some routes. It was to my knowledge that many of these routes are in fact owned and maintained by U.S. Forest Service.

Does anyone know the legalities of target shooting out there? I know everyone does it, but of course, that does not necessarily mean it's legal.

Anyone know?

You can shoot anywhere on forest service land. We camped out at the Dalles a couple of weeks ago and some folks were shooting a ways up FSR 73 with no problems.

I OC'd in the park (FS park) with no issues.

There is restrictions in Greenwater city limits....per the signage.

We've been chasing Pierce County for a week on the "guns allowed" issue and I just verified that Pierce County Parks and Trails are no longer "guns prohibited", but remain "no discharge".

Last edited:

Aaron1124

You can shoot anywhere on forest service land. We camped out at the Dalles a couple of weeks ago and some folks were shooting a ways up FSR 73 with no problems.

I OC'd in the park (FS park) with no issues.

There is restrictions in Greenwater city limits....per the signage.

We've been chasing Pierce County for a week on the "guns allowed" issue and I just verified that Pierce County Parks and Trails are no longer "guns prohibited", but remain "no discharge".

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I noticed the Pierce County signs were at a lot of the trails within city limits, but I didn't see any signs in the actual area under the Forest Service jurisdiction.

jt59

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I noticed the Pierce County signs were at a lot of the trails within city limits, but I didn't see any signs in the actual area under the Forest Service jurisdiction.

Cool, The parks director told me the signage for all Pierce County parks and trails has been changed....

As you out and about, note any "No Guns" signs on PC parks and trails that may have gotten missed......and I'll forward them on to him for correction or complaint.

Gentle Pressure......................applied relentlessly:rolleyes:

Aaron1124

Cool, The parks director told me the signage for all Pierce County parks and trails has been changed....

As you out and about, note any "No Guns" signs on PC parks and trails that may have gotten missed......and I'll forward them on to him for correction or complaint.

Gentle Pressure......................applied relentlessly:rolleyes:

Just got back. I didn't see any of the old gun signs that use to be posted. The only signs I saw before said "No shooting". I didn't even see those anymore.