Thread: Justices, judges and 'judicial activism'

Justices, judges and 'judicial activism'

Justices, judges and 'judicial activism'

Thursday’s confirmation of Elena Kagan as the 112th justice to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court was one more signal that the court system, because of the people elected or appointed to the bench, is in serious trouble if not completely off the tracks, if one listens to the critics.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seatt...icial-activism

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2fnlxuf

" “If I had my way,” Judge Bender stated..."

He doesn't have his way. What constitutes an "activist judge" is completely subjective.

Kagan has replaced a Liberal Justice, Justice Stevens, who ruled on the minority side of McDonald v Chicago, so the makeup of the court will not change.

When Kennedy retires, that is where people should be preparing to stand up and demand a Justice that is pro-2nd Amendment (subjective). Ginsburg will likely come up before Kennedy, and she will surely be replaced by a liberal Justice like herself, as she should.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-06-2010 at 05:16 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

A verbose article that says almost nothing...
    Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. -The Who

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Warden View Post

Brash lately? The article is hardly "verbose." The number of examples are not verbose. Dave said what he needed to say in the article without offering too many examples.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-06-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Curious ....

So...
    - If all this hoopla regarding Obama's Birthplace and social security number came to fruit, would the justices he elected be considered invalid? or would they continue to serve even though elected by a (then) illegal president?

- Curious...

Bat
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

*I removed it*
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-07-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post

He doesn't have his way. What constitutes an "activist judge" is completely subjective.

Kagan has replaced a Liberal Justice, Justice Stevens, who ruled on the minority side of McDonald v Chicago, so the makeup of the court will not change.

When Kennedy retires, that is where people should be preparing to stand up and demand a Justice that is pro-2nd Amendment (subjective). Ginsburg will likely come up before Kennedy, and she will surely be replaced by a liberal Justice like herself, as she should.
    Retireing Justices should be replaced by non partial Justices, its not OK to replace a liberal with a liberal, this is not tit for tat, well I guess it is but then again that is the problem.

President Obama is an American born citizen.
    Have you ever had a job that didn't require PROOF of citizenship? Why wasn't he REQUIRED to prove his citizenship? Especially to be Commander in Chief!

*I removed it*
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-07-2010 at 01:07 PM.

*I removed it*

I know for a fact that HE cannot pass the background check for a clearance at the Naval Shipyard in Puget Sound. My source: I worked there for 35 years. If somehow he worked there, he would have 3 days to prove his facts. Then, yer fired. Not being an OC topic, I will stop here. P.S., prove he is a citizen.

*I removed it*

Sylvia, What is with all of your personal attacks? Do you think that is really necessary? You don't even know me! All of those funny little 'eat your spinach' and 'I await your reliable source' digs are really immature. Reread my post where I said I worked for the Federal Govt for 35 years. I know what it takes to get a job in Govt. And yes, maybe Glenn Beck is spot on. The proof is for Obama; he is applying for the job. He has to show proof that he is what he says he is.

*I removed it*
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-07-2010 at 01:08 PM.

*I removed it*
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-07-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Alright guys ... we were talking about Justice Kagan and what her confirmation might mean for the Second Amendment cases coming down the pike.

We are NOT a site to discuss the presidential birth certificate! President Obama IS president and what we need to address is how to keep moving forward the advances in gun rights!

John

I removed my responses. Sorry Dave about the thread going off track. Thank you for the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Alright guys ... we were talking about Justice Kagan and what her confirmation might mean for the Second Amendment cases coming down the pike.

We are NOT a site to discuss the presidential birth certificate! President Obama IS president and what we need to address is how to keep moving forward the advances in gun rights!

John
    Sorry John, It's just that disarming us is his agenda. The End

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Warden View Post
    Talking about yourself Bob?

+1

Still, we need to pay attention....

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Orphan;1325130]Retireing Justices should be replaced by non partial Justices, QUOTE]
    +1,000

Why they don't judge constitutional any more just boggles me.
    This goes for "conservative" judges too.

Banned
    Kagan is bad because we're one vote from certain restrictions. I don't know what they are, but maybe guns near schools, open carry in certain places (maybe where large groups gather, public meetings, or public buildings), certain types of guns, if a gun is RAS for a search, can felons possess, can those convicted of a misdemeanor carry, how about civil orders of protection where the evidence only has to be a preponderance, etc.
    What happens if a judge dies?

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    What happens if a judge dies?
    You hope and pray that it is one of the liberal ones while this President is still in office. While praying, ask that we get a new President in the next election, that he/she is Conservative, and that they get to replace two Justices during their term.

Anyone want to bet that Ginsberg resigns, citing health reasons, if she thinks Obama might loose. That way he can replace her with a fellow "Lib". Otherwise nature may take it's course, her health diminishes, she then resigns or passes on, and a new Conservative President replaces her with "one for our side".