• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Browning Hi Power - Anyone got one?

Buzz-tronic

This was my first handgun that I fired when I was in the military.
Great gun, under-rated. A bit ancient these days with the glock being the near-standard sidearm but a good weapon. Not too small, not too big.
9mm calibre.

bhplogo.gif

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
In 1989, I bought my first centerfire pistol; a Browning Hi-Power Mark III-S for $389 at a gun shop in Alexandria, VA. I had a "tune-up" done to it by Northern Virginia Gun Works not long after purchase. I still have this gun and it is one which I will never sell from my collection. Certainly one of the best examples of its kind.

I bought another one just like it (same model) in the 90's in .40S&W but I did sell that one. Wish I had kept it.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I have two right now that are Argentine military surplus. I'm about to start complete rebuilds to turn them into full-on modern combat/carry pistols. I'll take pictures as I go and post them sometime if anyone is interested.

daddy4count

I do not own one, but I wish that I did.

The Browning HP is still, IMO, the best 9mm pistol you can buy. I have only had the pleasure a couple of times, but it was exactly that: a pleasure to shoot

daddy4count

This may have changed since I last looked at one... but other than a slightly heavier spring they are the same thing as the 9mm.

I was not impressed with the .40SW version... it does not feel as good as the 9mm

... but it has been a few years since I shot either one