Thread: The Itch is Getting to Me

The Itch is Getting to Me

Okay, so I bought my first pistol in February. It was a Hi-point .40 (loved it, it was a good gun, but blocky, heavy and I needed my laptop, so.... yeah), then in March I bough my P95... I love this gun more than I have ever loved any of my cars and that's saying a lot for me. However, I am getting the itch (and seeing the need) to buy another gun. Now, I want something that is heavy hitting for both threats of the four-legged variety (bears, cougars, coyotes) and the two-legged variety when I decide to switch it up from my 9mm.

I am currently looking at getting a G20 SF, GP100 with a four inch barrel in .357, a 1911 of some sort (everyone needs at least one), or a .44 mag of some sort. I'm not sure what to get. I've shot a couple .357's (both S&W's) and a 1911. The closest place to rent out guns is two and a half hours away and I'm not sure if they even have a 10mm or a .44 mag. So, just in general, what would you all recommend for a camping and carry gun? In the Colorado forum .357 was recommended (and I'm seriously looking at it), as well as .44... I'm just hoping to get a few more people's inputs... And yeah, I do kind of just want to add another gun to the safe, what can I say?

You can never have too many guns. The itch will never go away, but that is a great thing.

10mm - 460 Rowland

10mm (glock makes the best double stack 10mm in the market) Or if you want something diferent or cool or what ever you wanna call it get any 1911 then get a 460 Rowland conversion kit and convert ! (add some +P ammo to the 10mm and you should be able to take down a bear) by the way the 460 Rowland delivers about half a ton of muzzle energy with each round.. imagine that!
    Last edited by crackersillo; 08-07-2010 at 03:16 AM.

Good For You...the Itch Has Hit Me a Bit Too Much...Impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by ZackL View Post
    Okay, so I bought my first pistol in February. It was a Hi-point .40 (loved it, it was a good gun, but blocky, heavy and I needed my laptop, so.... yeah), then in March I bough my P95... I love this gun more than I have ever loved any of my cars and that's saying a lot for me. However, I am getting the itch (and seeing the need) to buy another gun. Now, I want something that is heavy hitting for both threats of the four-legged variety (bears, cougars, coyotes) and the two-legged variety when I decide to switch it up from my 9mm.

I am currently looking at getting a G20 SF, GP100 with a four inch barrel in .357, a 1911 of some sort (everyone needs at least one), or a .44 mag of some sort. I'm not sure what to get. I've shot a couple .357's (both S&W's) and a 1911. The closest place to rent out guns is two and a half hours away and I'm not sure if they even have a 10mm or a .44 mag. So, just in general, what would you all recommend for a camping and carry gun? In the Colorado forum .357 was recommended (and I'm seriously looking at it), as well as .44... I'm just hoping to get a few more people's inputs... And yeah, I do kind of just want to add another gun to the safe, what can I say?
    My wife thinks the itch has hit me too much; and she really doesn't know the exact number.

I LOVE my GP 100 with a 6" Barrel. It is heavy so I don't carry it much but is shoots NICE!

I agree 100% that you should have AT LEAST one 1911; I bought a Taurus and am sorry I did. It has a bad extractor, right out of the box; but a friend of mine bought one and has had no problems with it. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought a Kimber.

As far as .44 Magnum goes; I think that there is no better all around caliber. It is a really nice cartridge to reload and the recoil is very easy on the wrist. I own a Ruger Super Redhawk and have a Leupold 2X scope on it; it really takes care of deer. For a good all around gun, I would look into the Ruger Redhawk, .44 Magnum with 5 1/2" barrel.

Have fun! I also have a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and several others...perhaps the itch will hit me again...

G20SF- Flaming hot rounds for woods carry, a little weaker round for self defense on the streets.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

My dad has had a GP100 in the 6" for years, and I loved it so much I got my own, but went with the 4" instead. Now he wants to trade!

I love the GP100, but I'd also consider the 1911. I went with the GP100 first because I already have an XD .45 I use for daily carry, and I'm a big fan of the .357. For starters, it's as powerful a round for hunting as most people will need. It's also great for Self Defense, and it's a good target round you can shoot all day without getting tired. I've taken several first-time shooters to the range, both male and female, and frequently their favorite to shoot is the GP100. The underlug makes it easy to shoot all day long, even for inexperienced shooters.

The .44 (IMO) is overpowered for most peoples' use. If that's what you want though, go for it. A good .44 will not be abusive, and though I haven't had the chance to shoot the Redhawk, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

The two pistols I'm currently looking at (though will not be able to buy for some time) are the Para Warthog (http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=8) and a 1911 longslide, manufacturer undecided.

Just one problem-when does the itch go away?

Concur with Most Everything...

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    My dad has had a GP100 in the 6" for years, and I loved it so much I got my own, but went with the 4" instead. Now he wants to trade!

I love the GP100, but I'd also consider the 1911. I went with the GP100 first because I already have an XD .45 I use for daily carry, and I'm a big fan of the .357. For starters, it's as powerful a round for hunting as most people will need. It's also great for Self Defense, and it's a good target round you can shoot all day without getting tired. I've taken several first-time shooters to the range, both male and female, and frequently their favorite to shoot is the GP100. The underlug makes it easy to shoot all day long, even for inexperienced shooters.

The .44 (IMO) is overpowered for most peoples' use. If that's what you want though, go for it. A good .44 will not be abusive, and though I haven't had the chance to shoot the Redhawk, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

The two pistols I'm currently looking at (though will not be able to buy for some time) are the Para Warthog (http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=8) and a 1911 longslide, manufacturer undecided.

Just one problem-when does the itch go away?
    First of all, I agree with everything you said about the .357 and the GP100. I personally carry a S&W 686 with a 3" Barrel...got it at a gun show many years ago. Some people think the .357 may be too light for deer; perhaps, but bullet placement means a lot.

The .44 Magnum with factor loads may be overpowered, but not for deer. Remember though, one can shoot .44 Specials from the same gun. Also, if you reload you can make .44 Magnums that are very light.

As for the itch...it never goes away. A friend of mine said that he did not NEED another gun, but then said: "What you NEED and what you WANT are two different things."

Before I joined Wisconsin Carry, I had not bought a new gun in probably 10 years. In May I bought a snubby .357 for carrying purposes. Yesterday I bought an XDm 45 because I "needed" one. Like they say, the itch never goes away.
    Last edited by Krusty; 08-18-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Well, if you can find a .44 Special revolver in a 4"+ barrel, that's what I would recommend.