• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Itch is Getting to Me

ZackL

Okay, so I bought my first pistol in February. It was a Hi-point .40 (loved it, it was a good gun, but blocky, heavy and I needed my laptop, so.... yeah), then in March I bough my P95... I love this gun more than I have ever loved any of my cars and that's saying a lot for me. However, I am getting the itch (and seeing the need) to buy another gun. Now, I want something that is heavy hitting for both threats of the four-legged variety (bears, cougars, coyotes) and the two-legged variety when I decide to switch it up from my 9mm.

I am currently looking at getting a G20 SF, GP100 with a four inch barrel in .357, a 1911 of some sort (everyone needs at least one), or a .44 mag of some sort. I'm not sure what to get. I've shot a couple .357's (both S&W's) and a 1911. The closest place to rent out guns is two and a half hours away and I'm not sure if they even have a 10mm or a .44 mag. So, just in general, what would you all recommend for a camping and carry gun? In the Colorado forum .357 was recommended (and I'm seriously looking at it), as well as .44... I'm just hoping to get a few more people's inputs... And yeah, I do kind of just want to add another gun to the safe, what can I say?

exelci

10mm - 460 Rowland

10mm (glock makes the best double stack 10mm in the market) Or if you want something diferent or cool or what ever you wanna call it get any 1911 then get a 460 Rowland conversion kit and convert ! (add some +P ammo to the 10mm and you should be able to take down a bear) by the way the 460 Rowland delivers about half a ton of muzzle energy with each round.. imagine that!

Last edited:

VFORVENDETTA

10mm (glock makes the best double stack 10mm in the market) Or if you want something diferent or cool or what ever you wanna call it get any 1911 then get a 460 Rowland conversion kit and convert ! (add some +P ammo to the 10mm and you should be able to take down a bear) by the way the 460 Rowland delivers about half a ton of muzzle energy with each round.. imagine that!

Clarks customs guns does not recomend the cheaper 1911's! You could get hurt:banghead:
Q: Are there any other guns that you specifically DO NOT recommend for the 460 Rowland?
A: YES! We do not recommend this kit for installation in
IAI (Israeli Arms International) - We've found the top lugs in the slides of the Philipines produced 1911s to be soft! We've not tested the Israeli made guns but would recommend extreme caution.
Rock Island Armory

Auto Ordnance
Taurus

Llama

AMT
Charles Daly
Essex
Remington Rand
Any "GI" 1911 (note: Springfield Armory Current Production models excluded)

Plus its expensive to buy ammo and handload.

Don Barnett

Good For You...the Itch Has Hit Me a Bit Too Much...Impossible!

Okay, so I bought my first pistol in February. It was a Hi-point .40 (loved it, it was a good gun, but blocky, heavy and I needed my laptop, so.... yeah), then in March I bough my P95... I love this gun more than I have ever loved any of my cars and that's saying a lot for me. However, I am getting the itch (and seeing the need) to buy another gun. Now, I want something that is heavy hitting for both threats of the four-legged variety (bears, cougars, coyotes) and the two-legged variety when I decide to switch it up from my 9mm.

I am currently looking at getting a G20 SF, GP100 with a four inch barrel in .357, a 1911 of some sort (everyone needs at least one), or a .44 mag of some sort. I'm not sure what to get. I've shot a couple .357's (both S&W's) and a 1911. The closest place to rent out guns is two and a half hours away and I'm not sure if they even have a 10mm or a .44 mag. So, just in general, what would you all recommend for a camping and carry gun? In the Colorado forum .357 was recommended (and I'm seriously looking at it), as well as .44... I'm just hoping to get a few more people's inputs... And yeah, I do kind of just want to add another gun to the safe, what can I say?

My wife thinks the itch has hit me too much; and she really doesn't know the exact number.

I LOVE my GP 100 with a 6" Barrel. It is heavy so I don't carry it much but is shoots NICE!

I agree 100% that you should have AT LEAST one 1911; I bought a Taurus and am sorry I did. It has a bad extractor, right out of the box; but a friend of mine bought one and has had no problems with it. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought a Kimber.

As far as .44 Magnum goes; I think that there is no better all around caliber. It is a really nice cartridge to reload and the recoil is very easy on the wrist. I own a Ruger Super Redhawk and have a Leupold 2X scope on it; it really takes care of deer. For a good all around gun, I would look into the Ruger Redhawk, .44 Magnum with 5 1/2" barrel.

Have fun! I also have a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and several others...perhaps the itch will hit me again...

sultan62

My dad has had a GP100 in the 6" for years, and I loved it so much I got my own, but went with the 4" instead. Now he wants to trade! :D

I love the GP100, but I'd also consider the 1911. I went with the GP100 first because I already have an XD .45 I use for daily carry, and I'm a big fan of the .357. For starters, it's as powerful a round for hunting as most people will need. It's also great for Self Defense, and it's a good target round you can shoot all day without getting tired. I've taken several first-time shooters to the range, both male and female, and frequently their favorite to shoot is the GP100. The underlug makes it easy to shoot all day long, even for inexperienced shooters.

The .44 (IMO) is overpowered for most peoples' use. If that's what you want though, go for it. A good .44 will not be abusive, and though I haven't had the chance to shoot the Redhawk, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

The two pistols I'm currently looking at (though will not be able to buy for some time) are the Para Warthog (http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=8) and a 1911 longslide, manufacturer undecided.

Just one problem-when does the itch go away?:D

Don Barnett

Concur with Most Everything...

My dad has had a GP100 in the 6" for years, and I loved it so much I got my own, but went with the 4" instead. Now he wants to trade! :D

I love the GP100, but I'd also consider the 1911. I went with the GP100 first because I already have an XD .45 I use for daily carry, and I'm a big fan of the .357. For starters, it's as powerful a round for hunting as most people will need. It's also great for Self Defense, and it's a good target round you can shoot all day without getting tired. I've taken several first-time shooters to the range, both male and female, and frequently their favorite to shoot is the GP100. The underlug makes it easy to shoot all day long, even for inexperienced shooters.

The .44 (IMO) is overpowered for most peoples' use. If that's what you want though, go for it. A good .44 will not be abusive, and though I haven't had the chance to shoot the Redhawk, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

The two pistols I'm currently looking at (though will not be able to buy for some time) are the Para Warthog (http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=8) and a 1911 longslide, manufacturer undecided.

Just one problem-when does the itch go away?:D

First of all, I agree with everything you said about the .357 and the GP100. I personally carry a S&W 686 with a 3" Barrel...got it at a gun show many years ago. Some people think the .357 may be too light for deer; perhaps, but bullet placement means a lot.

The .44 Magnum with factor loads may be overpowered, but not for deer. Remember though, one can shoot .44 Specials from the same gun. Also, if you reload you can make .44 Magnums that are very light.

As for the itch...it never goes away. A friend of mine said that he did not NEED another gun, but then said: "What you NEED and what you WANT are two different things."

Krusty

Before I joined Wisconsin Carry, I had not bought a new gun in probably 10 years. In May I bought a snubby .357 for carrying purposes. Yesterday I bought an XDm 45 because I "needed" one. Like they say, the itch never goes away.

Last edited: