• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive LEO Encounter - Fairfax County PD

GULCer

After making a right turn onto Rte. 1 I got lit up at about 8:30 tonight so I pulled into the nearest business parking lot -- about 100 feet up the road. I turned off the car, put the keys on my passenger seat, turned the dome light on, and put my hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel.

One officer approached me and asked for my license and registration; however, there was another officer on the stop (it was a 2 person squad). My wallet was on my passenger seat so I pulled out my driver's license and LTCF and opened up my glove box and grabbed my registration and insurance. Since I had been on K-12 school property just seconds earlier my center-of-mass safe was sitting open on my passenger seat. I gave the DL, LTCF, and my registration/insurance to the officer. He asked me if I was carrying and I informed him I was. He asked where it was and I told him it was on my right hip unconcealed. He asked what type of gun it was and I told him it was a Walther. He asked if it was a PPK and I said that it was a PPS.

He asked me to keep my hands on the wheel while he went back to the car. A few minutes later he came back with a summons for failure to obey posted signs. He thanked me for informing him that I was armed and wished me a good night. He then went back to his car and drove away. Overall, it was a very good encounter. The officer was 100% professional and I'll be writing a letter to his department informing them of the fact.

hunter45

I chatted with a FCPD officer about firearms for a few minutes at the courthouse today. I don't think he was a fan of open carry at all. He said he was a lifetime NRA member, but there are a lot of people who can legally own firearms who should not be able to. Then he said some people shouldn't get a CHP because they might hesitate to pull the trigger (in a situation that requires the use of deadly force) and then end up having their gun stolen (I disagree with him there, and argued with him a little about that). That's where the subject changed, but had we continued talking and I brought up open carry, I don't think it would have gone too well. He was a real nice guy and had a lot of good stories that kept me entertained for the 2+ hours I had to wait outside the courtroom.

GULCer

are you from PA?

Yes, I am from PA but live in VA 11 months a year while going to school. I have a VA non-resident CHP as well but the Virginia State Police are not required to follow the law relating to permit size as local counties are. Thus, non-resident permits are huge and do not fit in your wallet.

Last edited: