Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open carry Mac 11?

Open carry Mac 11?

First, let me say that by potentially carrying my Cobray Mac 11, I, in no way, shape, or form, am a "punk" or want to seem "tough". But i do stuff in the woods alot, when i get the chance, (ie. fish, camp, hike etc etc), and i wanted to carry my mac 11, due to being able to have over 100 rounds at my disposal. ( 3) 36 rnd mags). And i was wondering about any legal issues i may have, with using a shoulder holster? i picked one up for it, and it has a strap on either side that hooks on to your belt. My understanding is that given the holster is in fact attached to the belt, its not considered concealed, as long as you dont have a jacket on or sweater or something like that.
    Any thoughts? Anyone else open carry a gun like this in a similar fashion?

There is no law in Arizona against concealed weapons so that part of your question is kind of moot.

Me personally I would not carry a MAC-11 as it is a .380, which is not a good SD round, but it does beat a sharpened stick.

I also would not because my perception of that particular line of weapons is not favorable and if you do encounter people you will get a WTF look or outright alarm vs if you had a more mainstream weapon. These days perception is reality, it sucks but that's the way it is.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

If round count is your concern, you could always get a glock and buy some of the factory high cap mags. You could have a .40 caliber glock and carry 100 rounds in 3 magazines...

Quote Originally Posted by >meso.40< View Post
    I was wondering about any legal issues i may have, with using a shoulder holster?
    All the restrictions on the type of holster disappeared with the Constitutional Carry bill. See ARS 13-3102. If you are 18-21, read ARS 13-3102.B3.

Personally, I'd recommend a quality pistol, in the largest caliber you are comfortable shooting, carried in a straight drop belt holster. A shoulder holster is a recipe for disaster from a safety perspective and by the time you make the big wide 180 degree sweep to get on traget, you have probably become a bullet sponge.

Fred

Do you have family in Tennessee?

Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    Who is that directed to?

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post

A shoulder holster is a recipe for disaster from a safety perspective and by the time you make the big wide 180 degree sweep to get on traget, you have probably become a bullet sponge.

Fred
    Not to mention that by the time you have completed a 180 degree sweep you have covered everything in view with the muzzle. A straight drop holster draw covers nothing but the ground to the target.

I support the OP's right to carry the arm of his choice, but I have to question why he feels a Mac 11 is the best choice for woods carry.

Steve
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Who is that directed to?

Fred
    To the OP.

To the OP.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Your message posted right bleow mine, and I do have faimly in Tennessee.

Fred

Thanks for the responses.

First off, no i do not have family in Tennessee, not sure why you asked??

Second, the M11 is a 9mm, and all the mags are loaded with winchester rangers.

I am not 21+, i just turned 20, so the Constitutional carry doesnt really apply to me, yet.

I have a glock actually, just wondering about the mac since i already have plenty of mags for it.
    It is a quality firearm, it will feed anything, and never jam, also very accurate. I went ahead and bought a drop leg holster, that it fits in very nicely. I only wanted to carry it on outdoor adventures, not in any stores or anything, so people wouldnt be a problem too much.

The M11 also is very hefty, so it has about as much recoil as a ruger 22 with some stingers

Well with it being a 9mm that IMO makes it a much better SD round to carry and Rangers are a nice round.

With a drop leg holster I'd wager that would work better for you and I think that if you did come across people they would be more likely just to think that it was a really big handgun, those that would know what it was would probably just think "cool"
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    That is f u n n y !
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

"Do you have family in Tennessee?"

can someone explain that one to me?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    "Do you have family in Tennessee?"

can someone explain that one to me?
    Very long story with lots of contention.
    Search threads and internet regarding screen name Kwikrnu.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

terrible choice in a self defense firearm

Cobrays look cool, but are really unreliable.

Cobray mac 11 is great

Quote Originally Posted by chrsjhnsn View Post
    Cobrays look cool, but are really unreliable.
    That may be true, but ive put about 2500 rounds through mine, and not once had a problem. (excluding the break in period where i had a few FTF) but after the break in it has been 100 percent reliable. i polished the insides to a near mirror finish, and i would trust it as much as any of my other guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    There is no law in Arizona against concealed weapons so that part of your question is kind of moot.

Me personally I would not carry a MAC-11 as it is a .380, which is not a good SD round, but it does beat a sharpened stick.

I also would not because my perception of that particular line of weapons is not favorable and if you do encounter people you will get a WTF look or outright alarm vs if you had a more mainstream weapon. These days perception is reality, it sucks but that's the way it is.
    MAC 11s are 9x19mm as I recall. 9mm Luger (or parabellum). Personally, I'd carry an M-4 in that situation if I felt I needed a long arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    MAC 11s are 9x19mm as I recall. 9mm Luger (or parabellum). Personally, I'd carry an M-4 in that situation if I felt I needed a long arm.
    Well thats not a bad idea, but my M11 is alot smaller than an M4, so i can carry it as i would any other pistol.

Another main reason i carry it instead of my glock or anything else, is it is a beast, built like a tank, and if it gets scratched up or whatever i wont lose sleep over it.
    Last edited by &gt;meso.40&lt;; 08-10-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Well thats not a bad idea, but my M11 is alot smaller than an M4, so i can carry it as i would any other pistol.

Another main reason i carry it instead of my glock or anything else, is it is a beast, built like a tank, and if it gets scratched up or whatever i wont lose sleep over it.
    I can honestly say, the possibility of a gun getting scratched has never, ever been a consideration in any carrying scenario in my entire life.

Granted, I like to keep my weapons well-maintained, but I've never worried about scratches -- if I find one, I just fix it. Come to think of it, I have pretty much the same thought for my truck -- well-maintained, but no worry about scratches (Arizona pinstriping, doncha know).

First, let me say that by potentially carrying my Cobray Mac 11, I, in no way, shape, or form, am a "punk" or want to seem "tough". But i do stuff in the woods alot, when i get the chance, (ie. fish, camp, hike etc etc), and i wanted to carry my mac 11, due to being able to have over 100 rounds at my disposal. ( 3) 36 rnd mags). And i was wondering about any legal issues i may have, with using a shoulder holster? i picked one up for it, and it has a strap on either side that hooks on to your belt. My understanding is that given the holster is in fact attached to the belt, its not considered concealed, as long as you dont have a jacket on or sweater or something like that.
    Any thoughts? Anyone else open carry a gun like this in a similar fashion?
    Years ago, I actually saw someone in a convenience store carrying a MAC-10 just like that. I can only assume it's legal, otherwise the guy would've been in jail.

The original Mac 11 was chambered in 380. It was also an open bolt pistol about the size of a 1911a1.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    The original Mac 11 was chambered in 380. It was also an open bolt pistol about the size of a 1911a1.
    yeah this one isnt an actual mac, it is an M11, made by cobray and not ingram

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    I believe you're right. Subsequently offered in 9mm Luger when they changed the design. .380 is of course also 9mm, but 9X17mm. Makarov (Ruskie pistol) is 9X18 as I recall.

Kwikrnu?

More 'special gun' elitism....

I'm not sure why you would consider a pistol round for wilderness carry, unless you are concerned about the 2-legged animals, for which it might be adequate. Consider the Kel-Tek Sub 2000 line.

Frankly, I'd recommend an AK-pistol. The MAC seems to defeat your intended purpose by generally sucking.

If you wnat to carry it simply becasue it's what you've got, I doubt anyone can argue with that. It is hard to carry a firearm you don't have.

I don't care if you carry an orange bazooka. I'm merely suggesting that a MAC 11 is probably not useful for your purposes. Nor is an orange bazooka.... An AK-pistol, of any color in whole or in part, is one hell of a handgun and a very, very effective self-defense weapon in a variety of scenarios in which a more 'conventional' handgun would be sadly insufficient. You can carry your large round count, the round really means business, it has a longer site radius, follow-up shots are faster, did I mention the round is superior to .223 forget .380, 9mm, .45ACP etc... You can get mag pouches that hold 4 mags........ If you think you need round count, this implies you'd like that round to actually COUNT.

Kwikrnu is on the fringe, he's from TN. He is accused of the very same thing that OCers of 'normal' guns were all accused of only a few years ago. "It's different" is the basis for that whole brew ha ha. You're being accused of the same by elitists. Ignore the trolls.

In short, a MAC 11 is better than nothing I guess... But I'd much rather be made fun of with an AK pistol, than be made fun of with a MAC 11; the AK is far more useful. Some people are sissies and can't handle a more powerful gun. I test fired .50BMG rifles for 5 years. I honestly think the 7.62x39 makes a cute pistol round. All .223 ammo should be pink. :-P

Wink

ix, that may have been the funniest comment of the week, if not the month!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast