• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry Mac 11?

*1911_man*

First, let me say that by potentially carrying my Cobray Mac 11, I, in no way, shape, or form, am a "punk" or want to seem "tough". But i do stuff in the woods alot, when i get the chance, (ie. fish, camp, hike etc etc), and i wanted to carry my mac 11, due to being able to have over 100 rounds at my disposal. ( 3) 36 rnd mags). And i was wondering about any legal issues i may have, with using a shoulder holster? i picked one up for it, and it has a strap on either side that hooks on to your belt. My understanding is that given the holster is in fact attached to the belt, its not considered concealed, as long as you dont have a jacket on or sweater or something like that.
Any thoughts? Anyone else open carry a gun like this in a similar fashion?

Phoenix David

There is no law in Arizona against concealed weapons so that part of your question is kind of moot.

Me personally I would not carry a MAC-11 as it is a .380, which is not a good SD round, but it does beat a sharpened stick.

I also would not because my perception of that particular line of weapons is not favorable and if you do encounter people you will get a WTF look or outright alarm vs if you had a more mainstream weapon. These days perception is reality, it sucks but that's the way it is.

Hendu024

If round count is your concern, you could always get a glock and buy some of the factory high cap mags. You could have a .40 caliber glock and carry 100 rounds in 3 magazines...

azcdlfred

I was wondering about any legal issues i may have, with using a shoulder holster?
All the restrictions on the type of holster disappeared with the Constitutional Carry bill. See ARS 13-3102. If you are 18-21, read ARS 13-3102.B3.

Personally, I'd recommend a quality pistol, in the largest caliber you are comfortable shooting, carried in a straight drop belt holster. A shoulder holster is a recipe for disaster from a safety perspective and by the time you make the big wide 180 degree sweep to get on traget, you have probably become a bullet sponge.

Fred

.45acp

A shoulder holster is a recipe for disaster from a safety perspective and by the time you make the big wide 180 degree sweep to get on traget, you have probably become a bullet sponge.

Fred

Not to mention that by the time you have completed a 180 degree sweep you have covered everything in view with the muzzle. A straight drop holster draw covers nothing but the ground to the target.

I support the OP's right to carry the arm of his choice, but I have to question why he feels a Mac 11 is the best choice for woods carry.

Steve

*1911_man*

Thanks for the responses.

First off, no i do not have family in Tennessee, not sure why you asked??

Second, the M11 is a 9mm, and all the mags are loaded with winchester rangers.

I am not 21+, i just turned 20, so the Constitutional carry doesnt really apply to me, yet.

I have a glock actually, just wondering about the mac since i already have plenty of mags for it.
It is a quality firearm, it will feed anything, and never jam, also very accurate. I went ahead and bought a drop leg holster, that it fits in very nicely. I only wanted to carry it on outdoor adventures, not in any stores or anything, so people wouldnt be a problem too much.

The M11 also is very hefty, so it has about as much recoil as a ruger 22 with some stingers

Phoenix David

Well with it being a 9mm that IMO makes it a much better SD round to carry and Rangers are a nice round.

With a drop leg holster I'd wager that would work better for you and I think that if you did come across people they would be more likely just to think that it was a really big handgun, those that would know what it was would probably just think "cool"

*1911_man*

Cobray mac 11 is great

Cobrays look cool, but are really unreliable.

That may be true, but ive put about 2500 rounds through mine, and not once had a problem. (excluding the break in period where i had a few FTF) but after the break in it has been 100 percent reliable. i polished the insides to a near mirror finish, and i would trust it as much as any of my other guns.

Gunslinger

There is no law in Arizona against concealed weapons so that part of your question is kind of moot.

Me personally I would not carry a MAC-11 as it is a .380, which is not a good SD round, but it does beat a sharpened stick.

I also would not because my perception of that particular line of weapons is not favorable and if you do encounter people you will get a WTF look or outright alarm vs if you had a more mainstream weapon. These days perception is reality, it sucks but that's the way it is.
MAC 11s are 9x19mm as I recall. 9mm Luger (or parabellum). Personally, I'd carry an M-4 in that situation if I felt I needed a long arm.

*1911_man*

MAC 11s are 9x19mm as I recall. 9mm Luger (or parabellum). Personally, I'd carry an M-4 in that situation if I felt I needed a long arm.

Well thats not a bad idea, but my M11 is alot smaller than an M4, so i can carry it as i would any other pistol.

Another main reason i carry it instead of my glock or anything else, is it is a beast, built like a tank, and if it gets scratched up or whatever i wont lose sleep over it.

Last edited:
Well thats not a bad idea, but my M11 is alot smaller than an M4, so i can carry it as i would any other pistol.

Another main reason i carry it instead of my glock or anything else, is it is a beast, built like a tank, and if it gets scratched up or whatever i wont lose sleep over it.

I can honestly say, the possibility of a gun getting scratched has never, ever been a consideration in any carrying scenario in my entire life.

Granted, I like to keep my weapons well-maintained, but I've never worried about scratches -- if I find one, I just fix it. Come to think of it, I have pretty much the same thought for my truck -- well-maintained, but no worry about scratches (Arizona pinstriping, doncha know).

me812

First, let me say that by potentially carrying my Cobray Mac 11, I, in no way, shape, or form, am a "punk" or want to seem "tough". But i do stuff in the woods alot, when i get the chance, (ie. fish, camp, hike etc etc), and i wanted to carry my mac 11, due to being able to have over 100 rounds at my disposal. ( 3) 36 rnd mags). And i was wondering about any legal issues i may have, with using a shoulder holster? i picked one up for it, and it has a strap on either side that hooks on to your belt. My understanding is that given the holster is in fact attached to the belt, its not considered concealed, as long as you dont have a jacket on or sweater or something like that.
Any thoughts? Anyone else open carry a gun like this in a similar fashion?

Years ago, I actually saw someone in a convenience store carrying a MAC-10 just like that. I can only assume it's legal, otherwise the guy would've been in jail.