• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone have any anti-gun friends?

joejoejoe

Just sat down for dinner with a friend of mine. It is clear that he is anti-gun. I told him I have been carrying openly for about a month now, and I am working on getting Esther Short Park to change their sign. He replied by saying, "Thanks. Now if something happens there, I am going to blame you."

Anyone else have any friends that are not okay with what you do?

Joe~

o2ryan

I have some coworkers I consider friends that are anti. Sometimes I bring up the topic just to push their buttons.:p
But seriously. they know where I stand and I know where they stand. I continue to politely extend the invitation to spend a day shooting with me knowing one day they will bite and we can have a serious conversation.

Beretta92FSLady

Most of the people I know are or present anti-firearm; until they are victimized or after they leave the room full of anti-gunners, then they walk over to me and whisper, "I agree with you." Lots of closed pro-gunners out there.

Batousaii

Training a parrot....

I do have a good friend who is kind of anti-gun. Through our friendship, he has come to realize (in his mind) that there are good people, or "protectors" out there that are not police, that own guns, and responsibly carry for protection. As he has told me a few times, that i have helped him realize that firearms do play a viable role in a civilized society, to protect innocence. My once anti-gun friend's current opinion is more to the tune that "stupid people should not own guns", it makes me chuckle and on many levels we will agree to that concept. I have had other anti-gun friends before who slowly realized that firearms can infact be tool to be used with care an consideration to protect ones self and ones friends and family.
- I feel it is like training a parrot: You cannot do it easily in one day, and must take patience, consistency with repetitive exposure to form a habit that must be accepted as a fact via trust and confidence. Without the realization that "this happened with zero negative results" the parrot (anti-gunner) will never learn to be comfortable with the "questionable situation" of owning and using firearms.

:) I hope that helps with a little insight.

Bat

Matt85

its really tough for me to not talk about guns... so no i dont have any anti-gun friends. my mother on the other hand, is very anti-gun which pisses me off on a regular basis!

SargentMac

California...

Planning to move closer to my wife's family. Her father was a competition shooter so he's not a problem. My nephew is interesting in learning to shoot and it would seem his parents are okay with me teaching him so long as I do it at a range. EVERYONE else is anti-gun. Kind of ridiculous. Oh well, I'll just keep talking about and carrying guns, and they'll put up with it because my son is adorable and we're a package deal.

joejoejoe

Unfortunately. all I have seem to experienced so far is that all anti-guners are closed-minded and think "where's there's a gun, there's crime and assualt"

Not even valid statistics will deter their thinking. I just wish more people told more stories about how their gun saved them. I need some stories more than I need some statistics.

jeeper1

No. While I know a few anti-gun people they are not friends and I avoid them as much as possible.

gsx1138

My mother. Although she's softened a bit over the years. All of us kids have guns. Of the people who I would've pegged as anti-gun, just like Sylvia said, once they're the victim of a crime it all changes.

Hef

I don't have anti-gun friends, and wouldn't keep any. I have limited tolerance for my mother-in-law's willful gun ignorance, and she knows better than to confront me directly on anything, so we just don't talk about it.

J_Douglass

I have a sgt in my platoon that might as well be anti gun. He has a pistol and a CPL but any time I say anything about open carrying he starts going "oh great here we go again." " I know when we get back im going to be getting a call of douglass getting arrested for openly carrying his gun" :banghead: He also says that he wouldn't open carry around his kids, and i said why not? you dont want your kid knowing how to responsibly handle a gun? he was like Shes 8, she doesnt need to be messing with guns. I told him I was shooting at 8

SargentMac

I have a sgt in my platoon that might as well be anti gun. He has a pistol and a CPL but any time I say anything about open carrying he starts going "oh great here we go again." " I know when we get back im going to be getting a call of douglass getting arrested for openly carrying his gun" :banghead: He also says that he wouldn't open carry around his kids, and i said why not? you dont want your kid knowing how to responsibly handle a gun? he was like Shes 8, she doesnt need to be messing with guns. I told him I was shooting at 8

Another one of those people who's child may just mess with a gun and not know what she's doing. I hope he never gets tired and forgets to put his gun in his safe (if he has one).

oldgoat

I don't really know any bona fide antis. All my Brothers and Sisters are PRO gun. :)
Though not all own or carry. However some of my inlaws,are just plain stupid about it.
I call them stupid, because they don't want to know better.
Ignorance can be rectified, but you caint fix stupid.

At best most of them are just indifferent.

joejoejoe

I think most anti-gun people have a phobia of guns and think they are just going to start shooting off randomly and killing people.

jt59

Your right JoeJoe...

Unreasonable fear without a basis in reality is pretty hard to overcome....My wife grew up in a family that never had any weapons, and her father never hunted. I on the other hand started early with shotgunning, pheasants and my dad (the marine) deer hunting.

We've been married 40 years and she's happy to ignore it even though we've had weapons in the house for our entire lives and raised a couple of kids.

Although, I am still working on it....my sister on the other hand, also grew up around guns all her life, and absolutely freaks out and will get up and leave the room (as opposed to making me get up and leave the room)....We went on a long hike (9 miles) up into Grand Park at Rainier. I OC'd, had my pack on for nearly 3 hours before she even noticed....she whispered at my wife, who looked at me, shrugged and said, the bears should look out. What was funny was that they hiked into the lake to camp the night before, and it was nearly dark, a little foggy and she said they (her husband) experienced real "fear" coming into camp.....I said well, "Don't bring a spork to a gunfight"....

I have lots of friends that are anti-gun at some level: lack of knowledge, fear, whatever, but then, they sit around and watch NCIS, cheer for the good guys and curbside justice. Then, in real life are somewhat willing to be victims.....they all have security systems, external garage doors with 2X4's nailed to the wall, dogs, and louieville sluggers and cell phones next to the bed....

This gives them enough security to feel safe....until the cops show up.....mostly though, I think that they have all been reeled into the dogma of the anti-gun tirades and the media hype and statistical lies that they have been fed that we, as adults are incapable of protecting ourselves with out help and have to depend on the Man.

On top of that, no one really wants to acknowledge that we live in a pretty bad world and left to their own devises, BG's won't back off, and good guys can turn to the dark side over some stupid circumstance....And, we buy our homes in the best neighborhoods that we can afford.

Still, they're my friends, and we debate over politics, raising our kids, religion and fixing the social security system, and discovering great wines, food and Scotch and when to retire...Personally, I like friends with a wide ranging POV and even things I disagree with...... and seek them out.....it challenges them and it challenges me.....I am stronger in my belief systems being able to confidently debate my opinions and am better for it.

.......and in the meantime, I'll keep my weapons, keep safe and appreciate their friendship and the respect they have for my views!

........and they know deep in their stage 1, 2 or 3 paranoia, that when I tell them the adage " when seconds count, the police will be there in minutes" that the humor is a little dark, but I speak truth.

I want to get them some of those little orange (what color isn't taken yet) rubber braclets:

WWJWD?.........what would john wayne do? :lol:

joejoejoe

It reminds me of a sign I saw on a commercial that says

"Attention Criminals! We believe in gun control. We own NO firearms."

Although, jt59, I agree that I love to have friends with different viewpoints; I really don't like when people criminalize or shun me when I use a firearm as a means of defending my life and my family. Some friends I just can't bring up the topic without that "look." It truly is a phobia or a hatred for self dependence. OR... they just don't want to admit that the worst can happen to them.

Joe~

sudden valley gunner

It reminds me of a sign I saw on a commercial that says

I really don't like when people criminalize or shun me when I use a firearm as a means of defending my life and my family. Joe~

Don't fell bad Joe think of every civil right activist who had the same stupid thing happen to them. And we can thank all those who are pro-gun but don't believe in open carry and permit to carry for helping furthering anti cause. I'm sure Rosa Parks had some family that told her "hey don't raise no fuss just sit in the back, you are going to ruin it and make it harder for the rest of us."