• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone have any anti-gun friends?

jt59

It reminds me of a sign I saw on a commercial that says

"Attention Criminals! We believe in gun control. We own NO firearms."

Although, jt59, I agree that I love to have friends with different viewpoints; I really don't like when people criminalize or shun me when I use a firearm as a means of defending my life and my family. Some friends I just can't bring up the topic without that "look." It truly is a phobia or a hatred for self dependence. OR... they just don't want to admit that the worst can happen to them.

Joe~

+1

Thing is, I dont' think their reaction is about you...I think when people react this way, generally, they are doing some self analysis, and realizing they are short of the mark.

...and if it is, then.....ok, probly' shouldn't hang with me too much....

I made a list the other day....I have personally had/been:

BG in my downstairs living room with me,wifey and my kids upstairs in a good 'hood.
Had my bag stolen out from under my feet at an airport bar....(ok, we'd been there a while)
Had my vehicles vandalized in a well to do neighborhood by thugs in my driveway....8 tires
Had another vehicle vandalized twice, Screwdriver entry and ransacked in a nice area of U.P.
Advised by LEO that a "walk away" from a prison farm was in the vicinity of our home and to be "prepared" because he was dangerous and armed. (I said what should I do if he comes to the house...the sheriff said "shoot him through the door and call me" ...here's my card) YIKES!
Saw a women being savagely beaten by a drunk boyfriend and stepped in
Ran two adult teens out of my Gargage in UP looking to steal whatever...

I asked a friend of mine today (non-gun owner) if he'd ever been victim of a crime.....No, not really, he says (age 64).

He has no frame of reference to reality to debate this too much......so I take what he says about it and his opinon of my reality checks with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

J_Douglass

Another one of those people who's child may just mess with a gun and not know what she's doing. I hope he never gets tired and forgets to put his gun in his safe (if he has one).

That's my whole mentality about it. I would rather my kid know what is what then shoot themselves or a friend. I don't have kids but being a mischievous one myself when I was growing up makes me know that kids get into everything, no matter what.

New Daddy

I don't have any anti-gun friends, although I've got a few that don't care one way or the other.

However, in the larger circle of people I know there are some real loons. I was at a party a couple of years ago, when someone expressed shock that there was a gun in the movie Ratatouille. I guess their 7/8 year old niece saw the movie and it was the first time she'd even seen a gun and didn't know what it was. The parents complained to Blockbuster that there weren't any warning labels on the box. They just thought it was really stupid that anyone would put a gun in a children's movie (yeah, stay away from Bugs Bunny, et al).

I was strongly encouraged when a couple of guys took up the challenge and started ridiculing her.

PavePusher

Just sat down for dinner with a friend of mine. It is clear that he is anti-gun. I told him I have been carrying openly for about a month now, and I am working on getting Esther Short Park to change their sign. He replied by saying, "Thanks. Now if something happens there, I am going to blame you."

Anyone else have any friends that are not okay with what you do?

Joe~

Assuming he was not joking, the fact that he could equate your legal behavior with the actions of criminals says a lot, none of it complimentary to him. You may want to review this relationship.

joejoejoe

Lol, Pave..

Well I have known him for over 15 years. It has only been a year or so since we started talking politics, and I have never owned a gun until February this year, so it wasn't until recently that the issue came up. I was just quite shocked that he would respond like that. As if guns have a mind of their own. I was joking with my friends at a restaurant today saying, "hey look, the sign is finally down! *bang* *bang* *bang*" as if that was going to be the reaction of everyone who reads the sign.

Joe~

Lante

I have several anti friends and an entire family of antis. (Mom was a card carrying Brady, and Dad believes even the police and the military shouldn't carry guns...I mean the police carry tasers and the military has missiles and tanks, who needs a gun???)

After years of fighting it, and trying to force acceptance via, rational arguments, stats, etc, with no luck, I switched tactics. I put the guns away when they come over, and now run continuous pro gun ads on the computer / TV in the main room. Figuring that since they get all their information from TV propaganda and 15-30 "news clips" I would fight their way. It is amazing that people will watch anything on a screen...especially if there is no way to change the channel. After 6 months of this, the ads are a conversation point, and most my friends and family agree that they never thought of _______. (The Nazi / Jew and Russian Freedom ads are most effective on Dad).

While no one has made it to a range yet, they are now willing to talk about guns, legislation, hear self defense stories, and for the most phobic - go to the "range" to see us shoot a "real" air soft gun and BB gun, and have the kids show them what they have "learned" about safety. (I did have to shoot myself in the hand with an airsoft gun to get my Dad to believe that it wouldn't kill anyone....a classic example of "if it looks bad it is") For the less phobic...a trip to the range sounds like a good idea... in theory.

If anyone has additional ads, self defense shots etc let me know. I have 177 ads currently and am looking to expand my "propaganda" collection!

acmariner99

I have had a couple of people say that the RKBA isn't even a right and the 2A should be repealed as we are a more civilized society. There was no reasoning with them. They said some even crazier stuff than that. Funny thing I was willing to protect them regardless and they didn't know I was carrying. Gee I must be crazy. Just laugh and move on with people like that.

gsx1138

I know there are folks that piss themselves when they see a picture of my daughter (9yr) with my AR or find out that she knows how to unload my XD and field strip it. I just tell them knowledge is power. I choose education over ignorance.

PavePusher

Lol, Pave..

Well I have known him for over 15 years. It has only been a year or so since we started talking politics, and I have never owned a gun until February this year, so it wasn't until recently that the issue came up. I was just quite shocked that he would respond like that. As if guns have a mind of their own. I was joking with my friends at a restaurant today saying, "hey look, the sign is finally down! *bang* *bang* *bang*" as if that was going to be the reaction of everyone who reads the sign.

Joe~

Oops, I guess I shot my mouth off without knowing all the facts. Perhaps some education for your friend is in order first. My bad....

69Charger

Well the wife calls me and tells me my brother in law is having a birthday gig this Sunday and wants us to come. He told her to tell me not to open carry. This is a surprise. :( It may have to do with someone else that will be going but I'm not sure.
It kind of shocked me that I was told not to open carry.
I have had no bad experiences in my every day open carry and to get this from a family member was the pits.
I had to tell her to let him know that I am busy on Sunday. I am going to an OPEN CARRY picnic. :) How ironic.
Dave

bennie1986

Well the wife calls me and tells me my brother in law is having a birthday gig this Sunday and wants us to come. He told her to tell me not to open carry. This is a surprise. :( It may have to do with someone else that will be going but I'm not sure.
It kind of shocked me that I was told not to open carry.
I have had no bad experiences in my every day open carry and to get this from a family member was the pits.
I had to tell her to let him know that I am busy on Sunday. I am going to an OPEN CARRY picnic. :) How ironic.
Dave

I've had inlaws do that to me before as well one actually kinda fliped out at me during a outing to a lake. My brother inlaw kinda backed me up saying I would rather he have the gun because there are bears around. Didnt matter though because they paid for the camping site we were using. Made me feel like crap.

daddy4count

Many of my friends are anti-gun... they are entitled.

But they know how I feel and know better than to try and argue their point with me... and they all know I keep my gun on me, whether they can see it or not.

WinchesterModel12

No anti-gun friends but plenty of anti-gun family on my wifes side. If they only knew that I "corrupted" her and she has her CPL and carries everywhere she goes.

Leatherneck

By no means a friend...my step kids' dad is anti.
He FREAKED OUT when he found out I was going to take HIS son shooting a .22lr with a friend and his dad.

He carried on sending my wife emails about it for nearly a week. My character and judgment were attacked. My wife was HIGHLY stressed because she didn't want the kids to think guns are bad, and didn't want them to believe whatever nonsense he was telling them about me.

shad0wfax

The short answer: No.

A more detailed response: I've debated the issue with several of my less gun-friendly friends and ended up drawing lines in the sand, so to speak.

I have some friends who are moderately anti-gun. I'm still in contact with the ones who choose not to carry or own firearms but still tolerate me carrying mine on a daily basis in the open or concealed.

One friend I have who insists that I cover it up and conceal it near him I've drifted away from and don't talk to very often.

The friends I had who were rabidly anti-gun I simply do not talk to anymore.

Contrarian

Anti friends?

Yeah,sadly - most of the whole fam dambly...wife is at least tolerant of my 'illness'. the rest of the family is seriously liberal in their 2A outlook. A lot of it comes from being raised on the Right Coast - Maryland/Baltimore area .

I had better luck talking office workers into going to the range, except for my boss' boss: he was firmly convinced that all guns were bad. Police guns were 'sometimes' good.

Talk about logic impaired.