• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer [Me?] Deters burglary

Evil Creamsicle

So I came home at around 1:45 this morning. My neighbors were out of town, as they are getting married tomorrow... well technically today. As I got out of the car I noticed a black mercedes, one I did not recognize, parked in front of their house. The car was on, the lights were off. I could see in the silhouette of the dvd player in the dash that there was at least one person in the car... by now it was 2:00am... seemed strange to me.

Anyway, since I was the only one around today I was tasked with retrieving my neighbors mail while they are gone... so I made sure to keep an eye on that car, and made sure its occupants knew I was armed, while I did so. I tried to call police non-emergency before I went, too, but nobody answered. Anyway after I grabbed the mail I saw their taillights flash... startled me, but they were switching into drive... and they drove off, slowly, leaving their headlights off.

That pretty much confirmed my suspicions... I called 911, the cops came, and I gave them as good of a description as I could. They made sure the property was clear of bad guys, and then left, saying they'd pay extra attention to the area since I expressed concerns that they may just have been scouting the house for a later burglary.

So... thats my story. Yay OC. Time for bed.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Your neighbors are lucky to have you in the area. Most people today are afraid (basically of everything) they won't say or do anything until after the fact when it's too late. IE watch as the house gets cleaned out, then when the owners return "say things like" oh I thought they were friends visiting your home. really at 2am and taking all the valuables with them on the way out?

Good job looking out for others Evil Creamsicle! +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!

DanM

I tried to call police non-emergency before I went, too, but nobody answered.

Good job Evil! Here's a suggestion to you and everyone in the future:

If you have a non-emergency situation and you're just observing suspicious behavior, you can still call 911 (if the non-emergency line is unanswered or you don't know it). Just say first thing, "This is not an emergency . . ." then explain the nature of your call. I've done this a few times in my life, and 911 operators understand and handle it.

If one has reasonable suspicion of criminal behavior, even it it's not an emergency, get in touch immediately with the police, even if you have to resort to 911 to do it. Do not give suspected criminals one more minute of time than you possibly can avoid.

Bailenforcer

Many "non emergency" number are not staffed after certain hours due to cut backs. Problem is they don't tell the people. So 911 is the only solution. Also most Police depts share a 911 dispatch center these days to save money as well.

+1 for looking out for your neighbors.

Good job Evil! Here's a suggestion to you and everyone in the future:

If you have a non-emergency situation and you're just observing suspicious behavior, you can still call 911 (if the non-emergency line is unanswered or you don't know it). Just say first thing, "This is not an emergency . . ." then explain the nature of your call. I've done this a few times in my life, and 911 operators understand and handle it.

If one has reasonable suspicion of criminal behavior, even it it's not an emergency, get in touch immediately with the police, even if you have to resort to 911 to do it. Do not give suspected criminals one more minute of time than you possibly can avoid.

Last edited: