• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want to transfer 2 rifles to my son

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Now that I've read Rodbenders reason for being extra careful, I understand and agree completely.

My son works for a very large Defense Contractor also. He has security clearances and it's a damn good job.

I spent the first 25 years of his life sweating, doing without and choosing his friends, so he would be educated and mentally prepared to deal with the unfair business world.

I wouldn't jeopardize that for anything, certainly not for a few dollars and a trip to an FFL/

Last edited:

zoom6zoom

He could have given them to him 20 years ago and has just been storing them for him or he may want to store them at his sons for his own use.
Yes, but in his very first post he said "I WANT to give", not "I gave", so that's what my reply was based on. Not trying to pick nits, just trying to keep all my forum friends out of trouble. We want to avoid having to give money to lawyers so we can spend it on ammo and OC lunches.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Knowing (by easy assumption) that your son either works for my company or our competition, which is also in town I fully understand your desire to keep everything legal. Mike Coffey and the guys over at Ace should be able to take care of you nicely. If your son lives north of the city, also consider a new spot called Amherst Arms.

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

I would like to clarify,

I am not disgusted with the OP as a person, but with the situation he's been placed in.

When re-reading my post I realized it was worded poorly. My apologies if offense was taken.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Dang I just flew to TX 8-7-10 and drove back to VA yesterday. I could have given them a ride. Sorry.

As has been pointed out repeatedly, your doing so would have violated several federal laws.

While I understand and share the frustration at the existence of said federal laws, I see no use in describing various and sundry ways to go about violating said laws. Further, by posting such scenarios here you expose the owners/administrators, the web site, and all those in the "Open Carry Movement" to direct and vicarious liability.

Would that you all had devoted as much time and energy to discussing strategies for repealing the federal laws in question as you have to violating the laws.

stay safe.

MSC 45ACP

Well-put, Brother Skid. Sometimes we need to be reminded to "stay between the lines" when it could be so easy to cross the line just because its the easy way out... Thank you for bringing us "back to earth" and reminding one and all of the possible pitfalls to doing what may be easy, but not quite right...

paramedic70002

As has been pointed out repeatedly, your doing so would have violated several federal laws.

While I understand and share the frustration at the existence of said federal laws, I see no use in describing various and sundry ways to go about violating said laws. Further, by posting such scenarios here you expose the owners/administrators, the web site, and all those in the "Open Carry Movement" to direct and vicarious liability.

Would that you all had devoted as much time and energy to discussing strategies for repealing the federal laws in question as you have to violating the laws.

stay safe.

The offer was all academic since I was already back in VA, but as I understand the law, I wasn't offering to do anything illegal. A FTF transfer of long arms on both ends. I thought that was completely legal.

Infidel

Transfer title to the guns from you to your son in Texas (assuming it's legal there, I wouldn't know, not licensed in Tx). Draft a bill of sale form, and get your signature notarized in Texas. Make two originals, one for you to keep and one to put in the box. You can then lawfully mail your son HIS rifles to him in Virginia. Yes, I said "mail". They do have to be unloaded and not shipped with any ammunition.

You're supposed to tell the USPS clerks what's in the box and they've got the right to open it to make sure they're unloaded. But do not place any indication on the box that suggests there's a gun inside. Best to have the bolt removed, mazazines out, or action open, as appropriate so they can go through the x ray machine without causing suspicions. If the clerks raise a fuss, ask them to consult the USPS publication called "The Domestic Mail Manual".

User,

I know you are a lawyer, but wouldn't doing that violate the Federal code of "No Firearms on Government Property" ;to include the Federal Postal property! I don't even use the drive through mail boxes outside any more.

flb_78

User,

I know you are a lawyer, but wouldn't doing that violate the Federal code of "No Firearms on Government Property" ;to include the Federal Postal property! I don't even use the drive through mail boxes outside any more.

http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

flb_78

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
...but wouldn't doing that violate the Federal code of "No Firearms on Government Property" ;to include the Federal Postal property!
What code is that?

I don't think there is such a code.

I've have personal firearms on Federal property many times, and I'm certain I was quite legal.