• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry New Hanover County/Onslow County

OCUSMC

Hi all,

I'm trying to get into open carry here in New Hanover County NC but I've run into a few problems. First off, let me say that I love the website and the community.

Now to the point, I currently reside in New Hanover county and I have been researching my gun laws for a while (since just before I turned 18). I took a look at the NC Attorny Generals gun laws pdf that's floating around online and did some research to conclude that OC IS legal in NC under 21, however you cannot purchase a pistol. That is understandable, IMHO. However, my father was wanting to "gift" me a pistol. Apparently you must get a pistol permit in order for that to occur, and in addition to that it seems that you could get a permit at 18 so that a pistol can be "gifted" to you. The issue is, upon talking with somebody at the Sheriff's office they won't issue a permit to anyone under 21. Tell me, how am I supposed to OC, when I can't be gifted a gun because I can't get a permit? It makes no sense to me. In other NC counties you must be able to get a permit under 21, so I guess it's just a NHC thing. So ladies & gents, what (if anything) can I do about this?

Also, I will be leaving for USMC bootcamp here in 2 weeks and I will end up in Onslow County (Camp Lejeune). Does anyone know if I could get a permit in Onslow County under 21? Also, I remember seeing something about having to get a letter from the commanding officer...etc -If I don't take my pistol on base, ever, could I get around this? I'd really not have to register my pistol with the base or have them lock it up ever.

Thanks,

Kevin
OCUSMC

Smith45acp

You may be having trouble coming into OWNERSHIP of a pistol, but that shouldn't stop you from POSSESSING a pistol. Just be honest and say it belongs to your father who knowingly of course loaned it to you. You are likely to spend some time at some point with an officer while he educates himself on the law he or she is paid to know and enforce... That's happened to me under different circumstances.

As far as I know there is no limit to how long a handgun can be loaned to you, or how far away you are from the owner.

Hope that helps.

OCUSMC

I've been looking through the gun laws, and haven't seen anything on it yet. Do you have any clue where I could find an answer so I don't have to go back the the NHC Sheriffs Dept for answers? (treat me like a crackhead criminal)

Thanks a bunch,

OCUSMC

Adam H

You must be 21 to get a PPP. You are going to have to "borrow" one until then.

No you don't. I was able to get a PPP at 20. Here's the email I got back from the Cabarrus County Sheriff when I asked him about the age requirements for a PPP. He first told me I had to be 21 but he later changed it to 18.

Adam,
I must apologize with the wording of my response yesterday. Forgive me, as I am out of town and trying to check emails on the fly. I answered the question as though you were purchasing a handgun from a dealer (Walmart, Pawn Shop, Local Dealer). Then I realized your question was about the age requirement for obtaining a handgun permit. Then, I realized that my answer back to you was in error and that I did quote "permit." Sorry for all the confusion, I will try to correct myself below.
The age requirement for requesting/obtaining a NC Handgun Permit is 18 years old. You can only use that permit to purchase a handgun from an individual, and cannot purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer until age 21. And, you must remember, that to transfer ANY handgun in NC, you must have a legal purchase permit. You can also use the permit, at age 18-20, to purchase long guns (rifle or shotgun), as long as the dealer or individual has a way of providing a NIC's check on you. Again, the federal government has recognized NC Handgun Permits as being significant enough to accept in place of a NIC's check. I hope this helps, if not, feel free to email me back.

Sheriff Riley

Also, the Cabarrus County Sheriff's Office website says 18.

http://www.cabarruslaw.us/firearms_0.asp

If you click on the blue 18 under the permit requirements, that page addresses this issue.

OCUSMC

Gent's

Great info. I appreciate it.

My contact in the New Hanover county sheriff treated me like a crack head so I am not bothering with NHC anymore as I will be living in Onslow County here shortly. I emailed the Onslow County Sheriff Dept. and haven't heard anything back. I guess when the time comes I can visit them in person.

But let me get this straight, if my father were to let me borrow his pistol, it would be completly legal? Would I need a note or anything to be safe? is there anything different about laws or just good common sense when using a borrow pistol vs. one you own?

Thanks,

Kevin

Smith45acp

I'm trying to think of a reason why an officer would be (legally) interested in obtaining ownership information on a pistol you're carrying. In the last 8 years I've been carrying I have had officers run my serial numbers three times. The report they get back could only tell them whether or not the gun is reported stolen. Since we are not required to register our firearms I can't imagine any other information coming back on that serial number. If I were you I would get the pistol from your dad and roll with it until you can get a purchase permit and give it to him to make the transfer official. Until then, if you are stopped, you do not have to answer any questions about where you obtained the gun if you choose not to. Oh believe me, there are plenty of LEO's that would grill you for an answer but be polite and tight lipped.

You're sticking to your rights just as vehemently as a traffic cop sticks to a speed limit or stop sign law when he pulls you over and there is nothing wrong with that. I would simply answer that I am legally carrying this firearm. Nothing more.

Remember, when and if you do get a purchase permit, and give it to an individual (your dad, whomever), there is fortunately no computerized update that goes out to anyone anyway.

DON'T get a note from your dad, just respond, if asked, that you are legally carrying this firearm.

Last edited: