• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with bringing arms from Europe

stickslinger

All,

Thanks for your patience. I'm due to travel to Europe soon to visit some relatives. My father in law wants to give me an old 8mm Mauser. Does any have any references/links I can refer too (laws/regulations, etc) regarding bringing one of those jewels back?

Thanks again.

v/r

-b

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Got no idea on that. You not only have to deal with ATF's nonsense, I expect customs will muddy the water some too.

Are YOU bringing it back or is it being shipped?

stickslinger

Got no idea on that. You not only have to deal with ATF's nonsense, I expect customs will muddy the water some too.

Are YOU bringing it back or is it being shipped?

Nap,

I'd like to carry it back if that were an option. Since I've never carried any arms overseas or brought any back, I'm in the dark on this one. I'll keep looking around through.

Since it's a relic, I'm wondering if it would be classified in a different way than a traditional rifle.

Thanks for responding.

v/r
-b

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Nap,

I'd like to carry it back if that were an option. Since I've never carried any arms overseas or brought any back, I'm in the dark on this one. I'll keep looking around through.

Since it's a relic, I'm wondering if it would be classified in a different way than a traditional rifle.

Thanks for responding.

v/r
-b

I think you'll find it easier if you carry it back. To get the best nt answer, I'd check with some of the Safari outfitters. They have to stay up on transportation of firearms.

I don't frequent gun safari boards, only bow hunting safaris, so I can't help there.

You might check here. it's a pretty savvy bunch.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

This is another good one to ask on
http://www.thehighroad.org/

And here. This is very international (The blammy Shells are ultra big bore, that's why I go there)
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/ubbthreads.php

Last edited:

apollosmom

I did it several years back, it is a bear, but it can be done

Stickslinger,
BLUF: It isn't easy, but it can be done. If you're active duty military, it might be easier, otherwise, be very, very patient. First, go ugly early and read the facts:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/import-firearms-ammo-implements-of-war.html

Go ahead and contact ATF...after all, they are here to serve us law abiding citizens...especially on the "assumed C&R" question...

You have to complete an ATF-6...website and previous experience sez give yourself 4-6 months.
Mine was registered with USAREUR, so there was no problem de-registering it...however, yours may have to be deregistered by the country your FIL lives in.
You'll need to find a FFL with an import license...contact him first and he/she must be in the state of residence. Mine charged $50 for his services.
I was a DoD contractor in USAREUR and once all paperwork was legally sufficient and complete, was able to mail it via APO to the import FFL...labeled as "sporting good"s.
Import FFL handled the customs paperwork then shipped it to my local FFL. You'll have to pay the local FFL for his services and also for the NCIS check.

I shipped the greatest battle implement ever devised and ATF initially didn't want to allow it as it was a most deadly "implement of war", but I was able to get the State Dept to issue a ruling to ATF of no-concern....but to do that, I had to enlist the personal assistance of my US Senator (Ted Stevens) at the time...I don't know if Senators Warner or Webb would be willing...recommend contacting both via their local office in a nice letter asking for their assistance.

Good luck, it will take some time and lots of patience...recommend your FIL keep it secure IAW local laws. Under no circumstances should you (or he) try and beat the teacher and not follow the law...

MSC 45ACP

I shipped the greatest battle implement ever devised and ATF initially didn't want to allow it as it was a most deadly "implement of war", but I was able to get the State Dept to issue a ruling to ATF of no-concern....but to do that, I had to enlist the personal assistance of my US Senator (Ted Stevens) at the time...I don't know if Senators Warner or Webb would be willing...recommend contacting both via their local office in a nice letter asking for their assistance.

QUOTE]

What was it, A war-orphaned Garand or an original '98 Mauser?

apollosmom

Greatest battle implement ever devised

She was a 43 model Winnie that a GI at our kaserne brought over...fortunately, he had the US Customs certification paperwork that it was legally brought to USAREUR, then registered as required. I traded a Don Stivers print for her, a spare bolt, original bayonet and scabbard. Then the fun began as I described. It was a much easier process for my other USAREUR-registered toys using the normal ATF-6 route...but that "instrument of war" characterization made it a challenge!

I learned a valuable lesson out of it. Emailing a US Senator or Rep at their DC office is worth next to nothing. But contacting their local office and pushing it up through the local chain gets results. It worked well with the late JoAnn Davis and does now with Rob Wittman. I have used Sen. Webb's local office for a TRICARE issue that resulted in a lengthy response followed up by a Sentara healthcare rep contacting me personally, wanting to know how he could help fix the problem.

At the VA senate and house level, Harvey Morgan is very responsive, and Tommy Norment and I carried on quite a bit over his support for the tourist industry over law-abiding citizen concealed carry. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!