They probably think that allowing alcohol gets them by preemption? This is just another bogus rule. May I suggest you start a thread for a picnic or gathering there. However I would urge you not to OC alone, not because you can't but in my experiences you will be treated far better by police (they will be called) with 6 other people with recorders & video camera's then going it alone. I know I would do my very best to attend.
Rules and Regulations - from their website:
The Charter Township of Van Buren, in order to serve the best interests of its residents and to maintain an operate Van Buren Township Park, offers the following rules and regulations.
* Alcoholic Beverages : Alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine, are allowed within the boundaries of the park within legal limits of the law. No liquor is allowed in the park. All open alcoholic beverages shall be confined to the picnic site. Individuals may not carry open intoxicants outside of a 15 foot perimeter of the individual's picnic site. No alcoholic beverages are allowed in the beach area, playground, nature center, athletic fields or any other place as determined by the Van Buren Township Board of Trustees or the Parks Department.
* Closing of the Park : The Park, or any portion thereof, may be closed partially or entirely from certain uses (including the use/possession of alcoholic beverages and/or pets, respectively) for such period of time as determined by the Board of Trustees or their representatives. During such periods of time, no persons shall enter upon or occupy the park, or any portion thereof, contrary to posted regulations.
* Disposal of Refuse : All refuse will be disposed of in barrels provided for that purpose.
* Exemptions : All or any portion of these rules may be exempted or amended for special uses when exemption is approved by the Township Board of Trustees.
* Firearms : No fireworks, explosives or any other weapons of any kind are allowed on park property.
* Fires : Fires may be built only in grills or in other equipment in areas designated for that purpose.