Thread: Larch Mountain

Larch Mountain

Can anyone give me directions, preferably including roads or something, up to the Larch Mountain Gravel Pit? I've read there are a ton of signs that read no shooting for the next mile. Since I'm taking my nephew out shooting pistols for the first time, I want to make sure we're legal with a good backstop.

After the "no shooting" signs (about a mile and a half past) you can shoot. The rock quarry has very nice mounds of gravels that the bullets fly into. Brad will likely be able to give you the best directions; he is the one who lead the way last time we went. I have directions online, but there are 3 spots I think to shoot. The place we went is my favorite spot, so I would ask him what the best way is. I know he doesn't know the road names though... The place we went you just drive straight to it, there is no hiking involved. You park, get out, and shoot.

This is where I see most of the shooting being done. Last time I was there, ATV riders were running around on the gravel piles while shooters were using them for backstops.

Zoom out to see how to get there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&ei...09334&t=h&z=17
    Last edited by bcp; 08-09-2010 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks guys. I was able to pull up directions using that link.

PLEASE, Be mindful of the fact that a “Correctional Facility” is right over the hill from that rock pit ! A Co-Worker of mine had his truck window blasted out by an errant round from that rock pit just last week ! There were visitors sitting in a car right next to his truck ! It still amazes me that with all the people (Staff, Inmates and Visitor) that are at Larch Correctional Center every day, and all the rounds that impact inside and outside of the Facility Perimeter, that no one has been hit. It is only a matter of time, until someone is wounded or worse, killed, by a stray round from that rock pit. PLEASE, be mindful of your back stop and what is beyond, it may very well be ME that you shoot !
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !

Hey Old Timer, got any suggestions of where to go past that gravel pit?

I will be down next weekend if you want me to show you the two places i always go. Both places have very good back stops, one place also has a good 600 yard rifle spot. I was raised up in them hills so i know all the logging roads pm me you number if you want a guide

Quote Originally Posted by ~FJ View Post
    I will be down next weekend if you want me to show you the two places i always go. Both places have very good back stops, one place also has a good 600 yard rifle spot. I was raised up in them hills so i know all the logging roads pm me you number if you want a guide
    I really appreciate the offer but I'll be in California next week. Any chance you know the coordinates?

Quote Originally Posted by SargentMac View Post
    Hey Old Timer, got any suggestions of where to go past that gravel pit?
    I go on vacation this week, (tomarrow) will be back the end of next week. I will hook up with you and show you the cool places to go shoot up here. "Old Timer" ? Son, just try and keep up ! (lol)
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !