• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Larch Mountain

SargentMac

Can anyone give me directions, preferably including roads or something, up to the Larch Mountain Gravel Pit? I've read there are a ton of signs that read no shooting for the next mile. Since I'm taking my nephew out shooting pistols for the first time, I want to make sure we're legal with a good backstop.

joejoejoe

After the "no shooting" signs (about a mile and a half past) you can shoot. The rock quarry has very nice mounds of gravels that the bullets fly into. Brad will likely be able to give you the best directions; he is the one who lead the way last time we went. I have directions online, but there are 3 spots I think to shoot. The place we went is my favorite spot, so I would ask him what the best way is. I know he doesn't know the road names though... The place we went you just drive straight to it, there is no hiking involved. You park, get out, and shoot.

USMC1911

PLEASE, Be mindful of the fact that a “Correctional Facility” is right over the hill from that rock pit ! A Co-Worker of mine had his truck window blasted out by an errant round from that rock pit just last week ! There were visitors sitting in a car right next to his truck ! It still amazes me that with all the people (Staff, Inmates and Visitor) that are at Larch Correctional Center every day, and all the rounds that impact inside and outside of the Facility Perimeter, that no one has been hit. It is only a matter of time, until someone is wounded or worse, killed, by a stray round from that rock pit. PLEASE, be mindful of your back stop and what is beyond, it may very well be ME that you shoot ! :(

~FJ

I will be down next weekend if you want me to show you the two places i always go. Both places have very good back stops, one place also has a good 600 yard rifle spot. I was raised up in them hills :D so i know all the logging roads pm me you number if you want a guide ;)

SargentMac

I will be down next weekend if you want me to show you the two places i always go. Both places have very good back stops, one place also has a good 600 yard rifle spot. I was raised up in them hills :D so i know all the logging roads pm me you number if you want a guide ;)

I really appreciate the offer but I'll be in California next week. Any chance you know the coordinates?