• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first revolver in CA

foxmulder241

After living in CA for nine years I'm Originally from Vermont where people can conceal carry without a permit and open carry, which I did, I Sold my guns before I move to CA, Now ready for to buy my first revolver since I moved here (I was going carry open but after reading some the stuff on the site it sounds like there a good chance of getting arrested if I do even though it's legal) but anyhow on to what I want to know is a SentrySafe Fire-Safe Box a legal lock box for a hand gun in CA.

heliopolissolutions

I have one, but I wouldn't trust it to keep my handguns secure while I was away from them, after a while the locks get a little loose, at least if you abuse them as much as I do, and the whole bit can be crowbared in no time.

Welcome to the forums, what revolver are you looking for?

foxmulder241

Thank you I just wanted make sure that it was legal to store it in that kind of box, I have never had to lock a gun before.

I was thinking about the Taurus .44 Mag but I'll have to see what they have at the store when I get there.

JJ

Penal Code Section 12026.1

Penal Code Section 12026.1 defines a locked container as "a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock; combination lock, or similar locking device." The term "locked container" does not include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle. As "utility" is not defined in the Penal Code, a handgun should not be transported in the center console (even if locked) nor in the storage area present behind the rear seat in most "hatchback" type automobiles. Due to the uncertainty in current California law, it is inadvisable to use the various storage compartments found in today's popular sport utility vehicles. If you drive a pickup truck, a locked cross bed tool box bolted to the bed behind the cab is a "gray" area and a court may find that it is not a "locked container" under the law. While most of us would consider a cross-bed tool box to be the functional equivalent of a vehicle's trunk, remember that while the Penal Code does provide an exception for vehicle trunks, it specifically prohibits the use of, and does not define, a "utility" compartment. If your vehicle doesn't have a trunk, put your unloaded handgun in a locking hard case. Locking hand cases for handguns are available at reasonable cost and when used correctly (i.e. when the handgun is unloaded and the case is locked) are the best method to ensure compliance with California law. Even if your vehicle does have a trunk, the use of a locked hard case is still recommended.

Gundude

Thank you I just wanted make sure that it was legal to store it in that kind of box, I have never had to lock a gun before.

I was thinking about the Taurus .44 Mag but I'll have to see what they have at the store when I get there.

I use one of these. They are availabe at Harbor freight stores for about $12. I'm pretty sure it meets all the requirements of the penal code. I put my weapon in it when leaving my house and arm myself when I reach my destination. I can't leave my house without driving through a GFSZ.

Last edited:

heliopolissolutions

Go big or go home, eh?
Well, you'll hear more opinions than you probably can stomach, so I'll leave mine out, but my best recommendation is that you try as many revolvers as you can to see what you like/love/hate.