• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Workplace - No Weapon Policy

Hef

Do They need a search warrant to check your car?

"They" would need your permission to search your car, which could be given by you under penalty of termination. Absent consent, "they" would need to call law enforcement IF your possession of a firearm in your vehicle would be illegal AND "they" have compelling evidence that there is a firearm in your vehicle. You could be in your vehicle and on your way home from work long before a judge would sign off on a search warrant for your car, unless you've been detained in the parking lot by an LEO (not a security guard).

Tazman2

I recall reading somewhere that in CT it is NOT illegal to carry in a place of business but its just against policy at most jobs including mine. ie you have to make the choice yourself and conceal conceal CONCEAL! :)

gluegun

"They" would need your permission to search your car, which could be given by you under penalty of termination. Absent consent, "they" would need to call law enforcement IF your possession of a firearm in your vehicle would be illegal AND "they" have compelling evidence that there is a firearm in your vehicle. You could be in your vehicle and on your way home from work long before a judge would sign off on a search warrant for your car, unless you've been detained in the parking lot by an LEO (not a security guard).

Unless the company policy states that they reserve the right to search your car and you have agreed to abide by company policy. Failure to do so is usually cause for termination.

The company I work for reserves the right, at any time, to search my car, desk, bag, locker, etc. located on their property. Furthermore, it is my responsibility to report any suspicious behavior, threats, etc. to management. As a condition of employment I had to sign a document stating that I had read and agree to abide by that policy.

AGust82

I recall reading somewhere that in CT it is NOT illegal to carry in a place of business but its just against policy at most jobs including mine. ie you have to make the choice yourself and conceal conceal CONCEAL! :)

You are 100% correct. No crime is being committed by ignoring a policy like this. All they can do is fire you. Or ask you to leave if you are not an employee. If you refuse to leave it becomes simple trespassing. Conceal, conceal, CONCEAL!

Hef

Unless the company policy states that they reserve the right to search your car and you have agreed to abide by company policy. Failure to do so is usually cause for termination.

The company I work for reserves the right, at any time, to search my car, desk, bag, locker, etc. located on their property. Furthermore, it is my responsibility to report any suspicious behavior, threats, etc. to management. As a condition of employment I had to sign a document stating that I had read and agree to abide by that policy.

I addressed that point when I said:

"They" would need your permission to search your car, which could be given by you under penalty of termination.

Rich B

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-28.htm
Sec. 29-28. Permit for sale at retail of pistol or revolver. Permit to carry pistol or revolver. Confidentiality of name and address of permit holder. Permits for out-of-state residents.
(e) The issuance of any permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby authorize the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises control over such premises.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-37.htm
Sec. 29-37. Penalties. (a) Any person violating any provision of section 29-28 or 29-31 shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than three years or both, and any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any of said provisions shall be forfeited.

Alex.EastHartford.

Rich B is our jobs worth more than our lives. because of this LIFE TAKING POLICY. so my freedom to carry for self defence end in theses workplaces. thats why those 8 defenseless hard working men die fighting empty handed. there has to be a better POLICY. its not fair. what if the tables were turn on theses property owners if there were fighting for there life or worst died fighting. OPEN FOR COMMENTS ANYBODY. THANKS

Rich B

Rich B is our jobs worth more than our lives. because of this LIFE TAKING POLICY. so my freedom to carry for self defence end in theses workplaces. thats why those 8 defenseless hard working men die fighting empty handed. there has to be a better POLICY. its not fair. what if the tables were turn on theses property owners if there were fighting for there life or worst died fighting. OPEN FOR COMMENTS ANYBODY. THANKS

Do you think I created the law? Do you even think I agree with it?

I am just putting it out there. It appears that it is possible that there could be legal penalties for carrying at work if it is prohibited. People here keep saying it isn't. That could be dangerous for someone who finds this out the wrong way.

You don't have to argue with me. I firmly believe that if a property owner makes a policy against employees carrying firearms that they should be held liable for any bad things that may happen as a result. Lets see a few employers face civil penalties for their choices and see how long they continue to make silly and dangerous policies.

stacks04

Do you think I created the law? Do you even think I agree with it?

I am just putting it out there. It appears that it is possible that there could be legal penalties for carrying at work if it is prohibited. People here keep saying it isn't. That could be dangerous for someone who finds this out the wrong way.

You don't have to argue with me. I firmly believe that if a property owner makes a policy against employees carrying firearms that they should be held liable for any bad things that may happen as a result. Lets see a few employers face civil penalties for their choices and see how long they continue to make silly and dangerous policies.

Yeah, a nice wrongful death suit, and a young ambitious lawyer may change the minds of some business owners. The problem is it then will get into private property rights, and how you chose to work there ect. I am interested to hear arguements on this topic.

Rich B

The problem is it then will get into private property rights, and how you chose to work there ect. I am interested to hear arguements on this topic.

I don't think this is about property rights. You have the right to forbid firearms on your property, but having that right does not mean you don't have the responsibility and liability.

Leverdude

Like it or not I think theres already plenty of precedent to protect a person who made you come to work disarmed.
As far as I know nobodies sued any of the schools or other "gun free" zones where theres been shooting. If a municipality, or other govt entity can prohibit guns in a public place we ALL own, I think its reasonable a for a property owner to have a right tondo it. I liken it to a person having free speach doesn't mean he can come & give a speach on my lawn if I dont want him to. That said I cant see any good reason to make law abiding people disarm just because I can.