• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alcohol and Carry

trooper46

I apologize if this is beating a dead horse or if this question as already been answered somewhere else . I was just wondering if anyone knew of any Kentucky laws regarding drinking while carrying. I'm already aware of the bar rule and in certain areas of a restaurant.

I do NOT intend to drink while carrying a firearm, but that is my personal choice (I'm usually the DD/Security anyway for my wife and her friends). I have friend who started carrying and she asked me to find out whether Kentucky has any specific limit on blood alcohol content or whether it's out right illegal or if it's just broadly defined as impaired and in possession.

I already mentioned the little fact that there would be hell to pay if she actually had to defend herself and smelled of booze. But, I too am a little curious as to whether Kentucky specifically has any laws on the subject.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

KRM59

Basic commond sense

Alcohol and Gun Powder do not mix !!!!! Period

I am a firm advocate on that. and yes there is another post on this exact subject. Anyone who feel they can have a beer or two and be at 100% with a firearm is fooling them selves. In my humble opinon there are a few basic common sense rules for carrying either open or concealed. #1. Alcohol and Gun Powder do not mix !!!!! Period

hotrod

Alcohol and carry

How 'bout we stop anyone who is taking an antihistimine from carrying. They may effect you in a way that your not 100%.

I am not a drinking kind of guy, but, a beer is not going to so severly effect you that you shouldn't carry. If .08 blood alcohol is ok for driving, I would believe you would be ok to carry.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Alcohol and Gun Powder do not mix !!!!! Period

I am a firm advocate on that. and yes there is another post on this exact subject. Anyone who feel they can have a beer or two and be at 100% with a firearm is fooling them selves. In my humble opinon there are a few basic common sense rules for carrying either open or concealed. #1. Alcohol and Gun Powder do not mix !!!!! Period

Some people can drink large amounts of alcohol and still be in control of their faculties. Heavy drinker can build up a tolerance. And some prescription drugs can influence the intoxicating effects of alcohol. I think Prozac can inhibit the effects so that a person can drink more booze with less of an effect, but not sure.

So again this is about the individual and their responsibility. Hard to make a blanket statement about everyone. Was it a character portrayed by Clint Eastwood that said something along the lines of "A man's got to know his limitations"????

KRM59

agreed it is up to the individual, my post is a personal preference. and one of the first things you lean about firearm safety. I twould not stop me from being with friends that are carrying, its just not for me. and i never said stop anyone from doing anything.

Last edited:

trooper46

Thanks for the info and input guys.

I tend to agree that one or two beers (if your 200 pd soldier like me) is not going to inhibit you from safely carrying. I usually don't drink and carry mostly because I don't want to give people an excuse to be negative about my ocing. But, even I can't say I've always followed this rule (friends barbeque's and some restaurants etc.)

Glad to hear Kentucky lets us take our own responsibility for our choices and doesn't treat us like babies. I thank my wife everyday for talking me into moving across the river.

If we were to restrict everyone's rights because something bad MIGHT happen, then we should have banned cars and michael jackson concerts a long time ago.

Swamper

I'm lucky to have several friends who are Police Officers...and my wife and I frequently join groups of police and their wives for nights out.

Let me tell you, there is not a single one who turns down a couple of beers, or favorite mixed beverage, during a dinner night out... although I can honestly say, I've NEVER seen anyone drink more than two.