• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What classifies as "concealed" in a vehicle?

cynicist

"(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle;"

Anyone know what the current case law on what concealed in a vehicle means?

Would I be able to OC loaded in a car in OR without an OR permit?

afcarry

Some states want you to have it in plain view, loaded or unloaded. If you are going to have it hidden from ordinary sight then it must be disassembled. Other states really don't care, so long as you are traveling peacefully through the state. But keep in mind, that individual counties and municipalities may define these requirements differently to make them more strict. Best idea is to check your local statutes and ideally, have a lawyer interpret them (or LEO). However, not everyone can afford a lawyer. Read the statutes, read them again, follow them, and you'll never have a problem. If you modify your vehicle to hide the fact that you have a gun (like cut out some foam from a seat cushion or something) then you will definitely get more crooked looks from LEOs across the board. Have good sense, and you should be able to keep yourself out of a hole.

Last edited:

acmariner99

From what I can gather:

According to ORS 166.250 1(b):

A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a weapon if that person: Possesses a handgun that is concealed AND readily accessible to the person within any vehicle

readily accessible means: in the passenger compartment. If you have no storage, make sure its locked up.
concealed means: hidden from ordinary observation -- (correct me if I am wrong please)

Others have said a car in Oregon is a public place so you can carry openly in a car provided it is in plain sight. (There are cities that prohibit loaded carry of a firearm within their jurisdictions -- note car definition above -- without an Oregon CHL.) Oregon does not honor permits from other states, but you can get a non-res CHL if you live in a state that borders Oregon. All of this means you can OC in your car with a loaded firearm if the firearm is in plain sight from ordinary observation outside the vehicle. I do not know if "under a seatbelt" qualifies.

I am not a lawyer -- check my info and correct me if I am mistaken

ak56

Campaign Veteran
According to ORS 166.250 1(b):

A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a weapon if that person: Possesses a handgun that is concealed AND readily accessible to the person within any vehicle

readily accessible means: in the passenger compartment. If you have no storage, make sure its locked up.
concealed means: hidden from ordinary observation -- (correct me if I am wrong please)

Others have said a car in Oregon is a public place so you can carry openly in a car provided it is in plain sight. (There are cities that prohibit loaded carry of a firearm within their jurisdictions -- note car definition above -- without an Oregon CHL.) Oregon does not honor permits from other states, but you can get a non-res CHL if you live in a state that borders Oregon. All of this means you can OC in your car with a loaded firearm if the firearm is in plain sight from ordinary observation outside the vehicle. I do not know if "under a seatbelt" qualifies.

I am not a lawyer -- check my info and correct me if I am mistaken

From ORS 166.250

(

3)
Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within
the meaning of this section.

Be careful to note that some cities in Oregon have other restrictions. See the sticky at the top of this forum.

cynicist

So, if I understand it correctly, if my loaded pistol is on a belt holster and not concealed, I should have no problems provided I am not in an area that prohibits OC?

acmariner99

yes but....

Avoid certain cities around and including portland. You cannot carry loaded in a car or anywhere in those cities without a chl