• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Wisconsin - Restrictions

ocscf

I'm new to Open Carry in Wisconsin and have only done so while walking in and around the woods near my house. I've been somewhat intimidated to OC in town and am not sure what the local LEO's responses would be.

Are there general restrictions for open carrying in locations where there are a lot of people and LEO's present?

1. I'm wondering about OC'ing at the County Fair ~ do they have to post a NO GUN allow sign or is it a public place anytime.

2. I'm wondering about the local Walmart store. Is Walmart generally gun friendly?

Is it worth asking the question before hand or beg for forgiveness later?

Thanks,

K ~ ocscf

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Welcome. Try posting in the Wisconsin state forum.

I'm new to Open Carry in Wisconsin and have only done so while walking in and around the woods near my house. I've been somewhat intimidated to OC in town and am not sure what the local LEO's responses would be.

Are there general restrictions for open carrying in locations where there are a lot of people and LEO's present?
No
1. I'm wondering about OC'ing at the County Fair ~ do they have to post a NO GUN allow sign or is it a public place anytime.
The most likely source of carry prohibition at a county fair is due to the presence of licensed alcohol for consumption - you may not carry on those premises - and the ownership of the property and buildings - you may not carry in a government owned or leased building.
2. I'm wondering about the local Walmart store. Is Walmart generally gun friendly?

Is it worth asking the question before hand or beg for forgiveness later?

Thanks,

K ~ ocscf
There is considerable controversy about WalMart. It appears that the corporate national policy is to be no more restrictive than the state statutes. However, due to the quality of their "associates", local managers go on power trips that'll get you arrested. I personally will not darken the door of a Sam Walton business except to piss there.

markofwisconsin

Laws

Hello, and new to the forum.

I posted this on another thread, so I'm repeating my question.

Here is my question, in the state of Wisconsin where I live, can I carry my .357 S&W model 65 3" bbl with the chamber full (gun loaded) in an open carry (holstered gun in plane site on my hip)?????????? Again with the revolver fully loaded???????

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Yes

Yes, why would you think not?

Here are all the Wisconsin Statutes ("state laws")
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html

Here are all of the Wisconsin Administrative Codes (rules and regulations, like from the DNR)
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code.htm

There are more than a thousand chapters and much more than ten thousand sub-chapters.

Each political sub-division and municipality is permitted regulated ordinances under 'home rule' from the Wisconsin Constitution.

Here is the Wisconsin Constitution
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/2wiscon.html

Last edited:

markofwisconsin

The law.

Doug,

The reason I ask, is there is some (now I know for sure) misinformation being spread that the men in the Janesville, Wisconsin Gazette article had no ammo in there firearms, or the magazines that were in the pistols as pictured.

That the magazine in the, magazine pouch was full, but not the one inserted in the handgun.

I just needed a clarification. Thanks