Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encounter at Walmart in Mae Anne area

Encounter at Walmart in Mae Anne area

My wife and I just got to Wal Mart, there were no handicap carts in the end we came in on, so she walked to the other entrance to see if she could find me one.

I walked to about the middle of the front of the store and stopped about at the returns desk entrance and stopped to rest for a second, when I started to proceed to where my wife was someone from behind me said hey you, i turned around and say a older man approach me flashing a badge of some sort.

Well my response was I was a private citizen, the he tells me it is against the law in the state of Nevada, He tells me he works for the Nevada Court Services and advises me to put the gun in the car, He also said he was a Law enforcement firearms instructor in the state of Nevada.

At this point I asked him to call the police and find out if it was legal or illegal and his answer was I know it is illegal because he was a firearms instructor in the state of Nevada and tells me reno has an ordnance that makes open carry illegal, I then ask him what law was that, and he says he does not know what law it was.

He says that we could go talk to the manager to get this straightened out and ask me if I want to go with him, I said NO I'm going to go shopping, then he says I hope this does not become a issue for you because if it does I will put you under arrest.

He asked my for my name also, which I never gave him.

I continued on my way to shop, I also called the reno, non emergency number to see if this uninformed arrogant instructor called on me which he did not and had a good talk with operator, no problems there

I saw him one time in the store while we were shopping about 5 isles down, don't know if he saw us or not, but it didn't matter

I also saw the manager and asked what had become of the guy and she told him that I was well within my right to do what I was doing, I bet he didn't like that since he was a "Law enforcement firearms instructor in the state of Nevada"

Here is the audio clip
    http://dl.free.fr/p24TvESUu

I was nervous the whole time I was talking to him because this was the first time dealing with something like this, and after listening to the clip I notice several mistakes that I did but it all worked out in the long run

I want to know what exactly you have to do to become a "Firearms Instructor"
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Good thing this didn't happen at the Summerlin Costco. what a ******.

Banned
    The best thing did was respond to him saying that you were going to go about your business and continue shopping. I think he got the message that you weren't intimidated by him. I'm guessing he's probably a courthouse security guard and has about zero authority or jurisdiction beyond.

And he says "I hope this does not become a issue for you because if it does I will put you under arrest."

That guy made no sense when he said that. Did you get his name? If you did, make a complaint against him and let his superiors know he runs around, flashes a badge and threatens to arrest people.

If you didn't catch his name, give a description of the man and when and where it happened. That way, they'll have an idea of who it was.

Nothing irks me more than a non-LEO pretending to be one.
    Last edited by Mo; 08-09-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: grammar

If you got name, and he is indeed a firearm instructor, then his name needs to be posted on here so he can be corrected.

That was one of the mistakes I made, Not getting his name or badge number and finding out who he does classes for. But I will be calling to talk to a supervisor, we will see where that goes

Campaign Veteran

Smile

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COURT SERVICES... Man that is rich, real rich! Great audio support.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    The best thing did was respond to him saying that you were going to go about your business and continue shopping. I think he got the message that you weren't intimidated by him. I'm guessing he's probably a courthouse security guard and has about zero authority or jurisdiction beyond.

And he says "I hope this does not become a issue for you because if it does I will put you under arrest."

That guy made no sense when he said that. Did you get his name? If you did, make a complaint against him and let his superiors know he runs around, flashes a badge and threatens to arrest people.

If you didn't catch his name, give a description of the man and when and where it happened. That way, they'll have an idea of who it was.

Nothing irks me more than a non-LEO pretending to be one.
    Sounds like "Impersonating an Officer" to me.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I would have said show me your credentials or **** off. Then I would have used harsh words.

Well called Nevada Court Services and talked to the supervisor and he was just as acknowledgeable about open carry as his officer but he was open minded to listen to me and wanted more information

as far as the the person that i encountered at the wal mart it might have been this guy but i'm not 100% sure

Jeffrey G. Chandler, NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
    Nevada Court Services
    Nevada Firearms Instructor's License No. 82
    E-Mail: jeffreychandler@nevcs.com

He is the Only instructor that I see listed on the site http://www.nevcs.com/firearms.html

But at least I know where NOT to go to get my CCW when I am ready, That way I have more options when I just don't want people to know I have a gun.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by john-in-reno View Post
    Well called Nevada Court Services and talked to the supervisor and he was just as acknowledgeable about open carry as his officer but he was open minded to listen to me and wanted more information

as far as the the person that i encountered at the wal mart it might have been this guy but i'm not 100% sure

Jeffrey G. Chandler, NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
    Nevada Court Services
    Nevada Firearms Instructor's License No. 82
    E-Mail: jeffreychandler@nevcs.com

He is the Only instructor that I see listed on the site http://www.nevcs.com/firearms.html

But at least I know where NOT to go to get my CCW when I am ready, That way I have more options when I just don't want people to know I have a gun.
    So "Nevada Court Services" is a private company and not an agency of the State of Nevada?

You need to contact the police and report this clown for flashing a badge and threatening arrest. You have the recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    So "Nevada Court Services" is a private company and not an agency of the State of Nevada?

You need to contact the police and report this clown for flashing a badge and threatening arrest. You have the recording.
    from reading their website this is a process serving company, and security guard training company, and CCW course work non affiliated with the state or government of the state. This yahoo was bordering impersonating LEO, hes definitely a mall ninja with all the "security" and "PI" work hes done in the past. hes also not a current LEO range instructor as its listed in his past experience. Oh btw heres his twitter account. http://twitter.com/sierra_jeff

would that white haired man be the one who verbally accosted you inside walmart?

It would appear he is working for his daughter or some other relative as listed from the BBB

Business Contact and Profile for Nevada Court Services, LLC

Name: Nevada Court Services, LLC
    Phone: (775) 348-7560
    Fax: (775) 348-7977
    Address: 475 S Arlington Ave STE 1A
    Reno, NV 89501-2032
    Principal: Ms. Jennifer Chandler, Owner
    Customer Contact: Ms. Jennifer Chandler, Owner
    Entity: Limited Liability Corporation
    Incorporated: September 2002, NV
    File Open Date: March 2008
    Type of Business: Process Servers
    BBB Accreditation: Nevada Court Services, LLC is not a BBB Accredited business.

More on Jeffrey Chandler:

he also is listed as a contact for lilwhizpups.com which is; a bona-fide breeder of chihuahua dogs located in Aberdeen, Washington. AKC registered

lilwhizpups.com
    Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
    IP Address: 74.52.35.98 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
    Record Type: Domain Name
    Server Type: Apache 1
    Lock Status: clientTransferProhibited
    WebSite Status: Active

Registrant:
    Net Services
    P.O. Box 6942
    Reno, NV 89507
    US

Domain Name: LILWHIZPUPS.COM

Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :
    Net Services
    jeffreychandler@nevcs.com
    P.O. Box 6942
    Reno, NV 89507
    US
    Phone: 1-800-476-4284

Record expires on 27-Jan-2012
    Record created on 27-Jan-2006
    Database last updated on 23-May-2008

Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS

NS1.PUGET.NET
    NS2.PUGET.NET

Im sure i could find a little more about this guy if i took more time but ehh, thought it was interesting enough and want to know if this is the guy that was impersonating LEO flashing his oh so shiny badge at you in a frickin Walmart.

Hmmm, It was Jeffrey, When I called the supervisor today he had the caller id and took down my number, then did some research on the matter and also let Jeffery know that the law has changed

Jeffrey called me about 3:30pm and wanted to apologize to me for his mistake and told me i was right.

1 firearms instructor corrected so I will just leave it at that

Hmmm, It was Jeffrey, When I called the supervisor today he had the caller id and took down my number, then did some research on the matter and also let Jeffery know that the law has changed
    What "law has changed?"
    This guy is a CCW instructor, and he didn't know that OC is not prohibited? That isn't a very good advert for taking a course from him. Good on him for responding and letting you know that he was wrong, but he is an instructor, and he was QUITE incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by jir
    Jeffrey called me about 3:30pm and wanted to apologize to me for his mistake and told me i was right.

1 firearms instructor corrected so I will just leave it at that
    A firearms instructor that is also a former LE, and spreading FUD, and impersonating an officer, AND threatening you with arrest (for lawful activity).
    Last edited by wrightme; 08-09-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by VFORVENDETTA View Post
    IQ of less then 70
    That seems high to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    What "law has changed?"
    This guy is a CCW instructor, and he didn't know that OC is not prohibited? That isn't a very good advert for taking a course from him. Good on him for responding and letting you know that he was wrong, but he is an instructor, and he was QUITE incorrect.
    The law that he and his supervisor know nothing about, and yea i thought it was strange that an instructor did not know OC was legal

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    A firearms instructor that is also a former LE, and spreading FUD, and impersonating an officer, AND threatening you with arrest (for lawful activity).
    So I'm new at this, what should I do and anybody in reno want to guide me?

The law that he and his supervisor know nothing about, and yea i thought it was strange that an instructor did not know OC was legal

Well, it IS up to you, but if you chose to pursue it, a report to LE would suffice.
    I am not advising you to do so, but it is a viable option. I do see that he did a "good faith" response, so if I were in your shoes, I would likely be inclined to let it go and move on.

you should have gotten the cops involved right away

ppl who impersonate cops really stink!

Banned
    File a report with the police and tell them you are willing to prosecute for impersonation. It's bad enough cops stop and harrass us, now we have these yahoos taking the law into their own hands.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA

The apology is meaningless. He knows he stuck his toe in the fan.

Call the PD and tell them what happened. What he did was to present himself as a peace officer (flashing the badge and threatening arrest), and if he did it to you, he does it to others. Tell them that you are willing to be a witness in court.

I dunno about letting them have the recording. Your link doesn't work for me, so I don't know what you might have said. If, however, you don't say anything that would get yourself in trouble and he DOES say something to get HIM into trouble, I'd offer it as evidence.

I would turn him in.

I agree with DVC. File a complaint with the real cops. He broke the law impersonating an officer. He even threatened to arrest you.

I don't care how much he apologizes.

PS... The audio link works for me if I click it a second time.
    Last edited by combatcarry; 08-10-2010 at 01:34 PM.

I'm going to say let it slide. You can't change what happened, and it seems that it will not happen again.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    There is no reason to believe that it won't happen again.

The guy tried to get his jollies by flashing a badge and harass a guy who wasn't doing anything wrong.

If you think this is the first and last time for this guy, I suggest that you not operate heavy machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by flagellum View Post
    I want to know what exactly you have to do to become a "Firearms Instructor"
    The bad thing about all of this is there are some really good firearms instructors there and they are very serious about instructing their students properly. It only takes one idiot to make them look bad.

I don't know if this guy was an actual firearms instructor or not. I have my doubts.

He reminds me of those CCW holders who want to carry a CCW Permit badge. All he needs now is a walkie talkie.
    Last edited by calmp9; 08-12-2010 at 05:40 PM.

LOL thats like a security guard walking up to you and flashing his badge! what a failure. nevada court services arresting you? LOL hes not even a police officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast