• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter at Walmart in Mae Anne area

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
The law that he and his supervisor know nothing about, and yea i thought it was strange that an instructor did not know OC was legal

So I'm new at this, what should I do and anybody in reno want to guide me?

The apology is meaningless. He knows he stuck his toe in the fan.

Call the PD and tell them what happened. What he did was to present himself as a peace officer (flashing the badge and threatening arrest), and if he did it to you, he does it to others. Tell them that you are willing to be a witness in court.

I dunno about letting them have the recording. Your link doesn't work for me, so I don't know what you might have said. If, however, you don't say anything that would get yourself in trouble and he DOES say something to get HIM into trouble, I'd offer it as evidence.

combatcarry

I would turn him in.

I agree with DVC. File a complaint with the real cops. He broke the law impersonating an officer. He even threatened to arrest you.

I don't care how much he apologizes.

PS... The audio link works for me if I click it a second time.

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
There is no reason to believe that it won't happen again.

The guy tried to get his jollies by flashing a badge and harass a guy who wasn't doing anything wrong.

If you think this is the first and last time for this guy, I suggest that you not operate heavy machinery. ;)

calmp9

I want to know what exactly you have to do to become a "Firearms Instructor"

The bad thing about all of this is there are some really good firearms instructors there and they are very serious about instructing their students properly. It only takes one idiot to make them look bad.

I don't know if this guy was an actual firearms instructor or not. I have my doubts.

He reminds me of those CCW holders who want to carry a CCW Permit badge. All he needs now is a walkie talkie.

Last edited:

Mike In Reno

LOL thats like a security guard walking up to you and flashing his badge! what a failure. nevada court services arresting you? LOL hes not even a police officer

Mike In Reno

So "Nevada Court Services" is a private company and not an agency of the State of Nevada?

You need to contact the police and report this clown for flashing a badge and threatening arrest. You have the recording.

X2 i highly agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
I would say let it slide, however, if he is this relaxed about flashing a badge to impose some false authority on you (OP), then he is doing it to others. You are not the first he's done this too probably and probably will not be the last. I say file a formal report. If he is notified by the REAL AUTHORITIES, he's more likely to cease actions like this.

I know I laughed and sometimes I do think these guys are just ridiculously funny, but situations like these have the potential to become volatile.

LV XD9

I'm in the camp that says you should definitely report the incident to the local police. It's been said before, but this was very likely not the first time this d-bag has pulled this crap and likely won't be the last.

calmp9

I would say let it slide, however, if he is this relaxed about flashing a badge to impose some false authority on you (OP), then he is doing it to others. You are not the first he's done this too probably and probably will not be the last. I say file a formal report. If he is notified by the REAL AUTHORITIES, he's more likely to cease actions like this.

I know I laughed and sometimes I do think these guys are just ridiculously funny, but situations like these have the potential to become volatile.

This has to be reported. The guy could have created a major panic at Wal-Mart. It's funny, but at the same time, it could end up tragically.

Shoot, I don't even know if Nevada Court Services even issues badges.

gunrunner1911

The bad thing about all of this is there are some really good firearms instructors there and they are very serious about instructing their students properly. It only takes one idiot to make them look bad.

I don't know if this guy was an actual firearms instructor or not. I have my doubts.

He reminds me of those CCW holders who want to carry a CCW Permit badge. All he needs now is a walkie talkie.

Exactly. Theres only a few of ways to look at it.
1 You have no training in weapons handling / firearms safety.
2 You recieved training from someone with an IQ of less than 70 which you rely on to save your life.
3 You trained yourself therefore YOU are the instructor with an IQ of less than 70.

It's the same old stuff we laugh at the mall ninjas for there stupidity and yet we obsess over things like EDC equipment and someone admits they carry a " Bat Belt". Then the OC crowd climbs up on the high horse to talk about rights blah blah blah and chastises the property owner for making a decision not to let them onto his property. Arguing with him all while violating trespass law. (assuming he's told you you can't be there of course) Exactly how do you think he is going to feel about gun toters after that encounter? Do you really want the 1st amendment to be upheld so much that yuo can't tell the Jehovahs who knock on your door to go away?
The guy is an A$$ for trying to tell someone how to conduct himself and thinking he has authority when he doesn't. For that report him and maybe the instructor heard will be thinned but to lump every instructor, including the greats which we all know by name and some of us build shrines to in our man caves, shows how our IQ only rises slightly above dull normal.

wrightme

Exactly. Theres only a few of ways to look at it.
1 You have no training in weapons handling / firearms safety.
2 You recieved training from someone with an IQ of less than 70 which you rely on to save your life.
3 You trained yourself therefore YOU are the instructor with an IQ of less than 70.

It's the same old stuff we laugh at the mall ninjas for there stupidity and yet we obsess over things like EDC equipment and someone admits they carry a " Bat Belt". Then the OC crowd climbs up on the high horse to talk about rights blah blah blah and chastises the property owner for making a decision not to let them onto his property. Arguing with him all while violating trespass law. (assuming he's told you you can't be there of course) Exactly how do you think he is going to feel about gun toters after that encounter? Do you really want the 1st amendment to be upheld so much that yuo can't tell the Jehovahs who knock on your door to go away?
The guy is an A$$ for trying to tell someone how to conduct himself and thinking he has authority when he doesn't. For that report him and maybe the instructor heard will be thinned but to lump every instructor, including the greats which we all know by name and some of us build shrines to in our man caves, shows how our IQ only rises slightly above dull normal.
In this case, AFAICT, the badge-man was not acting as an agent of the owner at all, but as a private citizen; as much as he appeared to desire to have authority over something.

The rest of your comments are kind of odd.

gunrunner1911

It's an example of things that can and do happen on both sides of this argument. It was not specifically related to the persons authority in this incident.
OC argues with property owners and don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to private property. This guy with a tin star has no authority either. BOTH individuals becomes A$$ HATS in this instance.

wrightme

It's an example of things that can and do happen on both sides of this argument. It was not specifically related to the persons authority in this incident.
OC argues with property owners and don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to private property. This guy with a tin star has no authority either. BOTH individuals becomes A$$ HATS in this instance.
Huh? The point is that the OC'er did NOT argue with property owners. It is a point not presented in this thread. The way you word it makes it sound like you think the thread starter was arguing with the property owners, and he wasn't.

VFORVENDETTA

What are ass hats? you mean assets?

john-in-reno

Huh? The point is that the OC'er did NOT argue with property owners. It is a point not presented in this thread. The way you word it makes it sound like you think the thread starter was arguing with the property owners, and he wasn't.

Thank you wrightme, That is correct I did not and will not argue with the property owner or there representative, if I was asked to leave from the manager, I would have politely asked for her name and leave as requested then write a letter or make a phone call to find out why I was asked to leave, from a district manager or at the corporate level

The guy that flashed his badge is the husband or father of the owner of the business and he is their firearms instructor, he was a private citizen on his own time and was not connected with the store in any way, thats the reason why I just walked away from him

I see everyone is quite divided on the whole matter and to stay on the good side of everyone and not start another debate at this point I will just let you know that I have decided to not tell anybody what I have done about this encounter so please respect my wishes and don't ask.

gunrunner1911

I want to know what exactly you have to do to become a "Firearms Instructor"
Please see the first part of my comment and why I would need to explain further.

IQ of less then 70
Further explaination of why no one apparently understnads.

The point is to start making comments about another "informed" instructor etc and saying it goes to show you blah blah blah is only part of the problem. Bash the guy for being an idiot but to start bashing the CCW permit system and instructors in general and blaming his ignorance on the fact he was an instrutor is the problem. Please see which catagory you fit into in my post 1 2 or 3.
I gave an example all be it off the topic or not exactly relating to this particular incident. Once again please read entire post to see where I explain this again. But I liken this instructors actions in THIS incident to OCers who have in the past in SEPERATE OTHER incidents done things that haven't exactly promoted the image of OC very well as it relates to this instructor desparaging the image of all instrutors in the eyes of OCers in the incident related in this thread.
Simply you cannot say ALL instructors have an IQ of (see above quote) without applying the same reasoning to OCers because ONE argues (in SEPERATE other incidents related in OTHER threads in this forum) with a property owner (NOT applicable in this incident)