• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter at Walmart in Mae Anne area

john-in-reno

My wife and I just got to Wal Mart, there were no handicap carts in the end we came in on, so she walked to the other entrance to see if she could find me one.

I walked to about the middle of the front of the store and stopped about at the returns desk entrance and stopped to rest for a second, when I started to proceed to where my wife was someone from behind me said hey you, i turned around and say a older man approach me flashing a badge of some sort.

Well my response was I was a private citizen, the he tells me it is against the law in the state of Nevada, He tells me he works for the Nevada Court Services and advises me to put the gun in the car, He also said he was a Law enforcement firearms instructor in the state of Nevada.

At this point I asked him to call the police and find out if it was legal or illegal and his answer was I know it is illegal because he was a firearms instructor in the state of Nevada and tells me reno has an ordnance that makes open carry illegal, I then ask him what law was that, and he says he does not know what law it was.

He says that we could go talk to the manager to get this straightened out and ask me if I want to go with him, I said NO I'm going to go shopping, then he says I hope this does not become a issue for you because if it does I will put you under arrest.

He asked my for my name also, which I never gave him.

I continued on my way to shop, I also called the reno, non emergency number to see if this uninformed arrogant instructor called on me which he did not and had a good talk with operator, no problems there

I saw him one time in the store while we were shopping about 5 isles down, don't know if he saw us or not, but it didn't matter

I also saw the manager and asked what had become of the guy and she told him that I was well within my right to do what I was doing, I bet he didn't like that since he was a "Law enforcement firearms instructor in the state of Nevada"

Here is the audio clip
http://dl.free.fr/p24TvESUu

I was nervous the whole time I was talking to him because this was the first time dealing with something like this, and after listening to the clip I notice several mistakes that I did but it all worked out in the long run

Mo

Banned
The best thing did was respond to him saying that you were going to go about your business and continue shopping. I think he got the message that you weren't intimidated by him. I'm guessing he's probably a courthouse security guard and has about zero authority or jurisdiction beyond.

And he says "I hope this does not become a issue for you because if it does I will put you under arrest."

That guy made no sense when he said that. Did you get his name? If you did, make a complaint against him and let his superiors know he runs around, flashes a badge and threatens to arrest people.

If you didn't catch his name, give a description of the man and when and where it happened. That way, they'll have an idea of who it was.

Nothing irks me more than a non-LEO pretending to be one.

Last edited:

john-in-reno

That was one of the mistakes I made, Not getting his name or badge number and finding out who he does classes for. But I will be calling to talk to a supervisor, we will see where that goes

wrightme

The best thing did was respond to him saying that you were going to go about your business and continue shopping. I think he got the message that you weren't intimidated by him. I'm guessing he's probably a courthouse security guard and has about zero authority or jurisdiction beyond.

And he says "I hope this does not become a issue for you because if it does I will put you under arrest."

That guy made no sense when he said that. Did you get his name? If you did, make a complaint against him and let his superiors know he runs around, flashes a badge and threatens to arrest people.

If you didn't catch his name, give a description of the man and when and where it happened. That way, they'll have an idea of who it was.

Nothing irks me more than a non-LEO pretending to be one.
Sounds like "Impersonating an Officer" to me.

john-in-reno

Well called Nevada Court Services and talked to the supervisor and he was just as acknowledgeable about open carry as his officer but he was open minded to listen to me and wanted more information

as far as the the person that i encountered at the wal mart it might have been this guy but i'm not 100% sure

Jeffrey G. Chandler, NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
Nevada Court Services
Nevada Firearms Instructor's License No. 82
E-Mail: jeffreychandler@nevcs.com

He is the Only instructor that I see listed on the site http://www.nevcs.com/firearms.html

But at least I know where NOT to go to get my CCW when I am ready, That way I have more options when I just don't want people to know I have a gun.

Mo

Banned
Well called Nevada Court Services and talked to the supervisor and he was just as acknowledgeable about open carry as his officer but he was open minded to listen to me and wanted more information

as far as the the person that i encountered at the wal mart it might have been this guy but i'm not 100% sure

Jeffrey G. Chandler, NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
Nevada Court Services
Nevada Firearms Instructor's License No. 82
E-Mail: jeffreychandler@nevcs.com

He is the Only instructor that I see listed on the site http://www.nevcs.com/firearms.html

But at least I know where NOT to go to get my CCW when I am ready, That way I have more options when I just don't want people to know I have a gun.

So "Nevada Court Services" is a private company and not an agency of the State of Nevada?

You need to contact the police and report this clown for flashing a badge and threatening arrest. You have the recording.

Remmy

So "Nevada Court Services" is a private company and not an agency of the State of Nevada?

You need to contact the police and report this clown for flashing a badge and threatening arrest. You have the recording.

from reading their website this is a process serving company, and security guard training company, and CCW course work non affiliated with the state or government of the state. This yahoo was bordering impersonating LEO, hes definitely a mall ninja with all the "security" and "PI" work hes done in the past. hes also not a current LEO range instructor as its listed in his past experience. Oh btw heres his twitter account. http://twitter.com/sierra_jeff

would that white haired man be the one who verbally accosted you inside walmart?

It would appear he is working for his daughter or some other relative as listed from the BBB

Business Contact and Profile for Nevada Court Services, LLC

Name: Nevada Court Services, LLC
Phone: (775) 348-7560
Fax: (775) 348-7977
Address: 475 S Arlington Ave STE 1A
Reno, NV 89501-2032
Principal: Ms. Jennifer Chandler, Owner
Customer Contact: Ms. Jennifer Chandler, Owner
Entity: Limited Liability Corporation
Incorporated: September 2002, NV
File Open Date: March 2008
Type of Business: Process Servers
BBB Accreditation: Nevada Court Services, LLC is not a BBB Accredited business.

More on Jeffrey Chandler:

he also is listed as a contact for lilwhizpups.com which is; a bona-fide breeder of chihuahua dogs located in Aberdeen, Washington. AKC registered

lilwhizpups.com
Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
IP Address: 74.52.35.98 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: Apache 1
Lock Status: clientTransferProhibited
WebSite Status: Active

Registrant:
Net Services
P.O. Box 6942
Reno, NV 89507
US

Domain Name: LILWHIZPUPS.COM

Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :
Net Services
jeffreychandler@nevcs.com
P.O. Box 6942
Reno, NV 89507
US
Phone: 1-800-476-4284

Record expires on 27-Jan-2012
Record created on 27-Jan-2006
Database last updated on 23-May-2008

Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS

NS1.PUGET.NET
NS2.PUGET.NET

Im sure i could find a little more about this guy if i took more time but ehh, thought it was interesting enough and want to know if this is the guy that was impersonating LEO flashing his oh so shiny badge at you in a frickin Walmart.

john-in-reno

Hmmm, It was Jeffrey, When I called the supervisor today he had the caller id and took down my number, then did some research on the matter and also let Jeffery know that the law has changed

Jeffrey called me about 3:30pm and wanted to apologize to me for his mistake and told me i was right.

1 firearms instructor corrected so I will just leave it at that

wrightme

Hmmm, It was Jeffrey, When I called the supervisor today he had the caller id and took down my number, then did some research on the matter and also let Jeffery know that the law has changed
What "law has changed?"
This guy is a CCW instructor, and he didn't know that OC is not prohibited? That isn't a very good advert for taking a course from him. Good on him for responding and letting you know that he was wrong, but he is an instructor, and he was QUITE incorrect.

jir said:
Jeffrey called me about 3:30pm and wanted to apologize to me for his mistake and told me i was right.

1 firearms instructor corrected so I will just leave it at that
A firearms instructor that is also a former LE, and spreading FUD, and impersonating an officer, AND threatening you with arrest (for lawful activity).

Last edited:

john-in-reno

What "law has changed?"
This guy is a CCW instructor, and he didn't know that OC is not prohibited? That isn't a very good advert for taking a course from him. Good on him for responding and letting you know that he was wrong, but he is an instructor, and he was QUITE incorrect.

The law that he and his supervisor know nothing about, and yea i thought it was strange that an instructor did not know OC was legal

A firearms instructor that is also a former LE, and spreading FUD, and impersonating an officer, AND threatening you with arrest (for lawful activity).

So I'm new at this, what should I do and anybody in reno want to guide me?

wrightme

The law that he and his supervisor know nothing about, and yea i thought it was strange that an instructor did not know OC was legal

So I'm new at this, what should I do and anybody in reno want to guide me?

Well, it IS up to you, but if you chose to pursue it, a report to LE would suffice.
I am not advising you to do so, but it is a viable option. I do see that he did a "good faith" response, so if I were in your shoes, I would likely be inclined to let it go and move on.

kwikrnu

Banned
File a report with the police and tell them you are willing to prosecute for impersonation. It's bad enough cops stop and harrass us, now we have these yahoos taking the law into their own hands.