• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backed Down

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Not sure you will get many responses phrasing the question that way.

For myself, I do not consider omitting to OC as backing down. Especially if it involves legal pressures or threats. SunTzu (the ancient master military tactician), and other tacticians advise against confronting a powerful enemy head-on when that enemy also has all the advantages.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Who has backed down from open carring in the last few months? And if so why?

I have.

Respecting the guidance and wishes of the folks from the Calguns leadership and senior advisors here I was on hiatus from openly carrying. I believe that there are appropriate times for all things- and for California, the advent of the open carry was a bit premature- We do not have a state level guarantee of our right to keep and bear arms, we have not secured 12050 licensing reform, and we are facing a bill that will quash exposed handgun carry if it is passed. It may appear that I am parsing my statements like a politician, but right now is probably not the time to have shock and awe, large group events challenging law enforcement or legislators who are making up their minds about AB1934.

We need to be selective about how much we push and where... Its possible to keep things discrete and low key while providing for our security and educating those we encounter.

DEFENSOR

Switch that around.

Who has quit open carring in the last few months? And if so why?

It seems odd that you ask who is not carrying and why the last few months. I think that in the wake of the
McDonald decision there has been an increase in open carry overall. In certain individual states there are more
specific reasons to continue or increase OC activity. Here in California for instance we have AB1934 to contend
with. Even if it passes let it be struck down as unconstitutional. Even if it goes into effect it does not apply to long
guns. As for myself I am trying to increase my own activity but we must be smart about it.

DEFENSOR

Ca Patriot

I stopped OC'ing because here in Los Angeles its just too dangerous in my opinion. After my first two OC's I found out about laws that I never knew existed. There are so many city laws that I just dont feel like getting arrested and possibly losing my gun rights for life.

Of course, my new opinion is also based on the fact that I believe in the next 2-3 years that due to McDonald I will have many more gun rights that the police will be aware of and actually respect.

In addition, I have been spending more time out of state like Utah and Montana.

Oh yeah, once more thing. I hope this doesnt get deleted but I have no fear or shame in admitted that I concealed carry regularly. There is no reason for me to OC when for 15 years I have CC with no interaction with police at all. My life is valuable and my familys life is valuable. A man has to do what a man has to do.

Last edited:

heliopolissolutions

I backed down carrying in my town after some things happened with the local PD, not anything to do with the "right people", for a few months back a while ago.

I got my mojo back and I'm not afraid anymore, I keep within the law, I don't back down, and I keep my voice recorder running every second I'm not in the house.

I stick to my guns, and if it ends up turning bad then thats what happens. If I go to jail, or I have to stand up to authority, ok.

Summary:
Don't back down.
Keep a voice/video recorder running.

PincheOgro1

I have quit OC ing. When I did OC, I was always SOLO.

I don't consider it backing down, just that it's so much of a hassle. There are dozens of schools in my area making it pratically impossible to OC w/o being in a GFSZ. I can't OC at work. if I'm not at work I'm on my Tempurpedic or in front of the PC. I bought my gun primarily for home protection and that's where it stays. Well, most of the time.

I still believe in OC. It is a right. Maybe if I lived somewhere else I'd do it more often.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

"In addition, I have been spending more time out of state like Utah and Montana...."

Must be a shock when you leave one of the United States to return to the People's Demokratik Paradise of Kalifornia...

leoffensive

the reason ive been carrying less is cause i rarely leave the house these days. and when im around home theres school zones litterally around every flippin corner.

there aint many places to carry where i live due to the massive amounts school zones