• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT-ish: Washington election thread

jbone

amlevin

You know the friend or the neighbor who bitches at everything. But do they actually go to the polls and vote?

Now you can see the last time they voted and hold them accountable.

http://soundpolitics.com/voterlookup.html

So I went to the database and looked up my entire neighborhood (by checking the box to show the entire block). Some of my neighbors haven't voted in several years. Unfortunately that's because THEY MOVED. So much for the state database being "current". Some even moved to other parts of Washington. You'd think that their "old" registration would be cancelled when they register in another county/precinct. Just something more to reassure me that the voting system is working.

sudden valley gunner

Sex offenders and those who haven't voted all online now!!!!!LOL.

Put me on that list (of those who haven't voted), none of the yahoos have ever been good enough for my endorsement.

Jeff Hayes

A reminder that there are two Washington Supreme Court Justices that need the support of all gun owners: Justice Johnson and Justice Sanders! They support the 2A and they are a great ally in the battle here in this state. Remember Justice Sanders wrote the opinion last year that incorporated the 2A to Washington before SCOTUS. And Justice Sanders looks out for individuals, if you ever end up before the WA SC you want Sanders on the bench.

I voted for Rossi twice for Governor. I will be voting for Didier in the primary. I reserve my vote in the general election until that time.

Someone earlier brought up what to expect from Rossi vs. Didier. Let me tell you this, for many years this country continues to vote for one of the two parties "establishment" candidates. Primarily because they have the experience, the connections of how to get things done once they get there.

I call BS! Enough is enough!!! We do not need to send someone back to DC that knows how to play the party game. We do not need to send someone back to DC that knows how to use their connections. We do not need to send someone back to DC that is savvy. We do not need to send someone back to DC that knows how to spend more money!!!

Enough, send someone from outside the party apparatus!

Well said, really well said.

Stretch

Mrs. Stretch and I voted last night. Even though we both like the mail in ballots, it seems proper to vote the night before or the day of the elections (or primary).

I voted for a few local folks that are incumbents, but a "professional politician" being pushed by the Republicrats will not garner my vote. Time for some real change...Didier was marked in our house.

jt59

Correct, we keep doing what we have always done and we get the same result! Wake the **** up!

This is a good discussion and it's a conundrum to be sure, do your research and most importantly VOTE and get someone you know to vote too....I know that I just don't want my vote to be nothing more than a "protest vote"..........

I have had the opportunity to be involved a little in the state political system that a lot of people don't get to do....after all the general election voting is done, committee assignments made, circles drawn....once they're in, they pursue their own agendas on a mandate with only 46% due to a spoiler vote.....and then what are you stuck with?

Via my job, we were looking for a simple review of a current licensing RCW that hadn't been revisited since it's implementation in 2000, and had the licensing Agency support (it was a Small Business RCW...you know the guys that create 80 percent of the jobs).

I went to all of my Republican elected officials ( the guys that are supposed to like small business) to seek sponsorship. Here's how the interview went:

Me: Thank you Senator/Representative for taking the time to see us. This is our draft legislation, the issues, and here is the Agency Director sitting next to me, that supports our bringing this forward. We have had five public hearing across the state to seek input and have incorporated their comments into our legistation. We provided you our proposed legislation three weeks ago are requesting your sponsorship of our bill and would like to answer any questions that you may have.

Senator Thank you for coming in. I haven't had time to read this, but I will try to get to it. Most importantly though, can you tell me what groups there are who will be opposed to any part of this bill that you are proposing?

Me There are none, sir...

Senator Well, I can hardly believe that NO one would be opposed to this bill, there's always SOMEONE who's opposed to any Bill. I think that you haven't done your homework and need to make sure, when you have done that, contact my office and set another appointment....But my agenda that I am working on in this short session is important, I am very busy now drafting a revision to the the state constitution to address the Police shooting in Parkland, and this will take all my time, you can 't imagine how many calls my office has had, so you should really try to find another sponsor.

On the other hand, I recently had a newbie running for election on the Republican ticket come knocking at my door running against Tami Green (D):

He was: Retired Military, Grandfather, Long time resident in our community, served on this and that local community board of something or other,(all on his handout).

Supported: Education, Community Safety, Better roads, and Responsibility in Government, Oh, and a Balanced budget....

So, says I:

Can you tell me who the current Senate Majority leader is...Answer: Well, no

Can you tell me who the current Senate Chair for the committee that approves Education budget?.......Answer, Well, uh...no

Can you tell me who is the Committee Chair responsible for approval of the budget for the state police and interagency agreements with Counties and Cities?

Answer..., Well, uh ...no

So, hoping that the new guy will figure it out, and as part of the minority party in Committee assignments, and working his way up through the ranks to sponsor any legislation, and getting anything done in the next two years.....as opposed to the incumbant who is experienced, networked, seated on key committee's....etc....

Is it any wonder the re-election rate of incumbants is so high?

So, anyone that can help me figure that out? Toss them all out! or not?...(The founders, cleverly precluded a total vetting of gov't).

So, now, I am a new Independent voter after being a lifelong Republican and am in that Swing Vote Block....but am still plagued by the question....Be careful what you ask for..

Lammo

A reminder that there are two Washington Supreme Court Justices that need the support of all gun owners: Justice Johnson and Justice Sanders! They support the 2A and they are a great ally in the battle here in this state. Remember Justice Sanders wrote the opinion last year that incorporated the 2A to Washington before SCOTUS. And Justice Sanders looks out for individuals, if you ever end up before the WA SC you want Sanders on the bench.

I voted for Rossi twice for Governor. I will be voting for Didier in the primary. I reserve my vote in the general election until that time.

Someone earlier brought up what to expect from Rossi vs. Didier. Let me tell you this, for many years this country continues to vote for one of the two parties "establishment" candidates. Primarily because they have the experience, the connections of how to get things done once they get there.

I call BS! Enough is enough!!! We do not need to send someone back to DC that knows how to play the party game. We do not need to send someone back to DC that knows how to use their connections. We do not need to send someone back to DC that is savvy. We do not need to send someone back to DC that knows how to spend more money!!!

Enough, send someone from outside the party apparatus!

Mostly agreed. When it comes to the Supreme Court, aka the Court of Final Error, I have no issues with and voted for Justice Johnson. Justice Sanders often makes me (as a prosecutor) crazy but he gets my vote based on his clear stand in favor of the 2nd Amendment and on life issues. I will diverge between Didier and Rossi but if it's Didier v. Murray in the general then I will be with Clint for sure.

PS - - on a local note, I would sure appreciate if any fellow Spokanites would please vote to re-elect my boss, Steve Tucker. I will be happy to explain why to anyone who wants to know - - just send me a PM. Thanks!

PPS - - if the above plug for Mr. Tucker violates any forum rules let me know and I will edit it out.

Metalhead47

Wow. Just wow. News just put Didier at a measly 10 percent.:banghead: I'm really kind of shocked at that. I mean, Didier signs are everywhere, and have been for a while now. Rossi gets by on name alone?? Really disappointed on this one, maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and the news will say they found a hidden cache of ballots or something.

On the other hand, Koster & Larsen are virtually neck & neck right now, at least that's encouraging.

Stretch

Sheeple will continue to vote on name and the big political machines pushing and advertising alone. Thoughtless sheeple.

jinj

Wow. Just wow. News just put Didier at a measly 10 percent.:banghead: I'm really kind of shocked at that. I mean, Didier signs are everywhere, and have been for a while now.

That is what irks me, the signs everywhere, illegally placed everywhere, by all of them. They are breaking laws right off the bat.

They should be fined for each and every sign. They end up in the streams and rivers, disgusting.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
That is what irks me, the signs everywhere, illegally placed everywhere, by all of them. They are breaking laws right off the bat.

They should be fined for each and every sign. They end up in the streams and rivers, disgusting.

How so? Political signs are exempt from the zoning laws of signs.

jinj

How so? Political signs are exempt from the zoning laws of signs.

No, they are not.

Its illegal to trespass, its illegal to litter, its illegal to nail signs on to the power company's poles, etc.

Unless the sign installer gets permission from the property owner, its illegal.
In King county they have a law that says no signs of any kind can be installed along the right of way. Cities do have their own laws that allow some signs.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
No, they are not.

Its illegal to trespass, its illegal to litter, its illegal to nail signs on to the power company's poles, etc.

Unless the sign installer gets permission from the property owner, its illegal.
In King county they have a law that says no signs of any kind can be installed along the right of way. Cities do have their own laws that allow some signs.

You are correct that you cannot litter or nail signs to power company poles or private property.

However, realtor signs and political signs are exempt from temporarily placing them along the right of way. However, they need to be picked up. What often happens is others vandalize the signs and they end up where they can not be recovered.

http://www.kcba.org/scriptcontent/KCBA/barbulletin/archive/2004/04-09/article1.cfm

Metalhead47

In my neck of the woods, most of the signs, especially the Didier signs, are all on private property. I can only assuming the property owner, therefore, approves of the sign. If someone put a murray sign on my property I'd waste no time in removing it.

END_THE_FED

In my neck of the woods, most of the signs, especially the Didier signs, are all on private property. I can only assuming the property owner, therefore, approves of the sign. If someone put a murray sign on my property I'd waste no time in removing it.

and burning it, then burying the ashes in no less then four separate holes.:lol: