• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just curious about my fellow OCers

Chrome coytoe

What do you mean cav draw?

You wear the pistol butt forward on your strong side. It was mainly used by early cavalry so they could still draw strong side, while holding a sword in the weak side. if you google it you can find tons of examples. Not the best method, but some people swear by it.

Yooper

May I ask why you feel that way?

Several reasons, in a SHTF moment, its much easier to sweep your weak side hand with the muzzle, there by, increasing the chance that a person may shoot himself in his own arm. Second, carrying weak side doesn't give you the ability to point and start shooting (Like they do in quick draw shooting, where they shoot from the hip) in a SHTF moment. Third, a person can draw a firearm much faster when they only have to move their hand a few inches to access their firearm, versus the distance to go across their stomach, have their left arm potentially get in the way, draw the gun, and then sweep it across a great area in order to get it on target. And finally (for me anyway, I'm sure others will chime in with more), I've been trained, especially for a non firearm attack (knives, clubs whatever), to blade the weak side of my body towards the attacker. Assuming that someone where to hit me with something, or start slicing me up, I'd prefer to give up my left arm, leaving my strong side to control my gun, versus having to swing my strong arm across my body and into an area vulnerable to attack.

For driving though, it's hard to beat a cross draw, but when I weigh the options, I feel I'm more open to attack on foot, than in a car, so I carry to those odds.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
carrying on a cross draw makes absolutely no sense to me, with the exception of a shoulder holster. To carry cross draw on your hip is only asking for trouble if you ask me.

Cross draw makes sense if: You can use either hand to shoot with. I can & do shoot both left & right handed. So if I wear my primary pistol on my right side, and for some reason that hand or pistol should become damaged etc... I can draw second from cross draw using left hand. Or left hand damaged, right side pistol now empty after bad guys initiate attack. Can reach second pistol with right (strong hand) without trying to reload 1st pistol with only one hand. These are combat scenarios...I pray to GOD the options are never needed, but if so, in my opinion it is always better to have an option & not need it, versus need it and not have it. Does it make better sense now?

:) Practice loading & shooting weak hand/one handed it can save your life. You may already do this, if so, good one you & Bikenut both. Kind regards, G9OS

PS> Another option is using both pistols at the same time. I can do this competently, but am no where as skilled at this type of combat shooting as the ever venerable Dougwg is. I pity the bad guy(s) that ever make the mistake of tangling with him.

Last edited:

Bronson

I always carry in the same position with whatever gun I carry. I don't want to be in a SHTF scenario and reach for my gun which is normally at the 3:00 position only to remember, too late, that I was carrying it in a shoulder holster that day.

Consistency is the key.

Bronson

Yooper

I always carry in the same position with whatever gun I carry. I don't want to be in a SHTF scenario and reach for my gun which is normally at the 3:00 position only to remember, too late, that I was carrying it in a shoulder holster that day.

Consistency is the key.

Bronson

I'd also add to carry the same "type" of gun that they've practiced with. I've carried a glock forever, and if I had a gun with a safety on it (none of carry guns do) I could probably be beat to death with the wings of a mosquito before it would "click" in my head to flip the safety off.

WARCHILD

Yooper: I understand your concerns, and I have not had any experiences with those problems. The basics of carry is whatever you are used to and most comfortable/confident using. I have been carrying crossdraw @ 11:00, my whole life.
In that position there is absolutely no chance my gun can be accessed from behind.
I can bring it into action with either hand rather easy. Again, it's what each individual has trained and practiced in doing that makes sense for that person. If I were to now wear my gun at the 3:00 strong side, I would be slow and rather clumsy; because it's not what I have trained myself to do. Hence it is not my choice of position to carry, even though it is probably the most popular position; it doesn't work for me.

JMO

Michigander

I almost always carry cross draw when concealing, but I carry strong side pretty much exclusively when OCing.

I can think of 2 legit reasons to openly carry cross draw. Either for retention as WARCHILD does, or to "slap leather" as Sonora Rebel calls it, when drawing from a floppy holster or loose belt that rides up your waist. I carry with a very stiff belt and a level 3 holster, so neither are an issue for me.

fozzy71

strong side only. but, i would love an aesthetically pleasing shoulder rig.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/sh/bmsh5a.html

sh5n.jpg

sh5ncu.jpg

Bailenforcer

Even though I make a strong weak side reference I am 100% ambidextrous. Now saying all that I do carry a backup weapon weak side. So in reality I could strong side my Auto loader, or weak side draw my S&W Model 19 357 magnum. Either way I can make a lot of noise when SHTF.

Quick question for you guys. I carry strong side with a leg drop, usually a serpa. I am concerned about drawing with my left hand, should I become injured for instance, but drawing with the left is difficult. What would you all think would improve the accessibility from the from the weak hand? I had the same question while carrying on the strong side hip as well.

eastmeyers

Even though I make a strong weak side reference I am 100% ambidextrous. Now saying all that I do carry a backup weapon weak side. So in reality I could strong side my Auto loader, or weak side draw my S&W Model 19 357 magnum. Either way I can make a lot of noise when SHTF.
[video=youtube;GHaLY1nfD_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHaLY1nfD_M[/video]