• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just curious about my fellow OCers

Chrome coytoe

so, I was OCing today, and I started thinking. From those thoughts, I thought I would take a very informal poll. When OCing, and OCing only, who goes strong side draw, who wears a cross draw, why that draw, and what type of pistol? No dishonorable intentions. I am just curious what my comrades in arms opinions are.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Most often, I carry my G17 on my strong side in leg drop holster. Once in a blue moon, I will carry the a fore mentioned & my G26 on my weak side in a cross draw configuration. How's that for throwing a curve ball into your poll data? Sorry ;)

stainless1911

Banned
Strong side leg drop XD .40 sub.
Better cover for the piece, I can get to it sitting down very easily, Promotes OC very well. No accidental CC for non CPL. Tacticool! Fast draw. just like black, always in fashion, goes with any outfit :p

PDinDetroit

Daily: Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols (9mm or .45 ACP) in Fobus Paddle or Serpa Blackhawk Hip Holsters, Strong side.

Camping: Ruger GP100 (.357 Magnum) in Galco Belt Holster, Strong side.

Bear Country: Ruger Redhawk (.44 Magnum) in unknown Shoulder Holster, Cross-Draw.

malignity

Glock 23 in Serpa Blackhawk (*cringe*) strong side (Lefty)

I can't crossdraw anyway I don't think... my arms aren't long enough to reach over my gut I'd imagine. Crossdraw imo is an absolutely terrible way to carry anyway unless in a shoulder holster. I'd be faster at an offhand draw anyway were I to need to carry a gun on my off-side.

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

I have watched, read, and attended countless Law Enforcement only videos, seminars, and books, on self defense and the like. I carry strong side, in and askins avenger style mode. High on the belt where my elbow can feel the gun. It is nearly impossible to reach for my gun without me feeling your approach. Then I can hold the gun in place while spinning so to speak to break your hold. I have practiced this many countless times with guys who make Arnold look wimpy. Every time now I can arm lock the weapon and turn to break a grip on it, then draw, or grab my concealed back up weapon. Strong side and high is proven to work best.

When I had my agency I did on occasion use a shoulder holster, but it was only concealed and I was in a position to have it touching my hands the whole time. If you watch professional body guards you will notice most of them have their arms crossed, this isn't poor posture or manners, it is them hand on the shoulder holstered weapon at all times. Even when carry in a shoulder holster I had my second weapon strong side and high on the belt. The ONLY good reason for a non body guard to carry in a shoulder holster is because you are in a vehicle most of the time. It is extremely hard to draw from anything in a vehicle fast enough if SHTF (sh*t hits the fan). So the shoulder holster is a compromise to having a weapon drawn while you drive. I often drive with a slightly hidden holster mounted for instant grab in a vehicle, but I can't do that in other peoples cars obviously, so if I am going to be in their ride a long time I shoulder carry.

For many who have never fired in anger so to speak, or carried as a result of their employment, it is hard to understand what works best and why they do things the way they do. I suggest getting some Law Enforcement books on videos on carry.

so, I was OCing today, and I started thinking. From those thoughts, I thought I would take a very informal poll. When OCing, and OCing only, who goes strong side draw, who wears a cross draw, why that draw, and what type of pistol? No dishonorable intentions. I am just curious what my comrades in arms opinions are.

sprinklerguy28

Normally I carry strong side M&P 40 full size with one of the 3 paddle holsters I have for it. Along with that is usually a S&W 442 in my pocket.

Now that I've blown out several discs in my back I switched to carrying the S&W 442, or Bersa 380 on my strong side. The difference in the weight felt versus my M&P is noticeable and less strain on my back. I can't wait to switch back to a full size.

Agent1

Browning HP .40 strong side (right) 3 oclock Bianchi Minimalist (Model 106 not 105).
1911 SOB 6 oclock Desantis #6.
1911 strong 4 oclock Galco Concealable.

BailEnforcer, +1!

I too have about a dozen shoulder holsters and some of them are great for CC.

My preferences come from about 20 years of CC and OC experience. One thing I can tell you for sure is that you are going to get a lot of different answers and the only one that is right is the one that you can carry the most comfortable. Everyone is different. Good luck.

Last edited:

EM87

G19 strong side in a level II serpa.

When riding my motorcycle or concealing in the winter, I'll occasionally use my Galco shoulder holster.

Chrome coytoe

Well, since I asked the question, I should at least answer like everyone else. I carry a Glock 23 on my strong side at the 3 oclock position in a Blackhawk cqc lvl 2 holster.

Yooper

carrying on a cross draw makes absolutely no sense to me, with the exception of a shoulder holster. To carry cross draw on your hip is only asking for trouble if you ask me.

eastmeyers

I have several different pistols I carry openly and concealed. I normally carry openly on my strong side at 3-4 o'clock with a level II serpa holster. The other 1% of the time I carry cross draw on my weak side at about 11 o'clock, or in a drop leg holster on my strong side at 3 o'clock, or cross draw in a shoulder holster. For conceal I will also carry strong side waste, cross draw waste (rare), cross draw shoulder (rare), weak ankle, and pocket.

bobn911

I carry a Sig P226, .40cal most of the time in a Don Hume open top belt slide. I will be carrying the Sig in a Little Feather Leather Works 5.0 belt slide as soon as I get it. Once in a while I'll carry in a Galco shoulder holster. Been known to do the SOB thing also. Later, Bob

stainless1911

Banned
Quick question for you guys. I carry strong side with a leg drop, usually a serpa. I am concerned about drawing with my left hand, should I become injured for instance, but drawing with the left is difficult. What would you all think would improve the accessibility from the from the weak hand? I had the same question while carrying on the strong side hip as well.

Chrome coytoe

Quick question for you guys. I carry strong side with a leg drop, usually a serpa. I am concerned about drawing with my left hand, should I become injured for instance, but drawing with the left is difficult. What would you all think would improve the accessibility from the from the weak hand? I had the same question while carrying on the strong side hip as well.

I made a small joke earlier about Cav. draw, but IMO, I believe that is the easiest solution. However, to quote a favorite song of mine, anything easy is never worth it. With a cav. draw, when the SHTF, I have never seen someone draw strong side without crossing their body with the muzzle. But, other than cav. draw, I dont really know of any simple solution besides carrying a BUG.

Last edited: