Thread: Off Duty Officer tells Open Carry Woman " Rights Don't Matter "

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar

Off Duty Officer tells Open Carry Woman " Rights Don't Matter "

Saw this in an email sent to me.

An off duty police officer tells a woman attending a Tea Party in San Diego, California Rights don't matter. The officer was hired by the Tea party event for security purposes.

The woman was carrying a hand gun in open and plain view. Understanding the off duty police officers concern about the weapon and not being familiar with California's open carry law he approaches the woman to examine the weapon. She is very cooperative towards the officer, lets him examine the weapon and attempts to explain the open carry law of California, when the guy states her rights don't matter. When it was all said and done everyone was happy that we clarified to the officer that his statements were not okay, we all moved on.

We support the officers attempt to investigate a possible threat to the crowd. It was his statement that we were concerned about, not his lack of knowledge of California's open carry law.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzJ2LAWpyA

"Officer Safety" meets "Bill O'rights"

Hysterical. Because he doesnt 'feel safe' a person's rights are suspended.

If he was off-duty as the email stated, I would have advised him that he would have to produce credentials and an on duty supervisor before conducting any seizure or interrogation.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Get it yet?

...a woman attending a Tea Party...
    They have already won the battle for your mind.

...was carrying a hand gun in open and plain view...
    They are winning the battle for your body.

...a possible threat to the crowd...
    They have begun the battle for your soul.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Criminals dont open carry?

Guns and knives, like in the UK are banned downunder. I can assure you all that since the firearms ban, criminals in Australia dont ever open carry. We know criminals are armed as soon as they brandish their firearms, make demands or start shooting. I would rather see an OC anywhere any day.

Im curious what rights do off duty LEOS have like what are they "allowed" to do police wise? And if he was not from California doesnt his jurisdiction end?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Citizens have rights. Public servants have powers granted by the citizens. Citizens have only the rights that they defend.

It looks to me that this was taking place at a private event and therefore on private property. (even if it was public property, if it is rented out for a private event, law generally allows the private event to treat the property as private and enforce their own rules, even if would be unconstitutional if done by govt)

If the organizers had advised the security detail to not allow guns and the officer was following their orders then he is largely correct, the gun carriers' rights don't matter.

Of course we all have rights that travel with us, the officer couldn't just shoot her for no reason at all. However, her right to keep and bear arms, is merely to prevent the government from restricting those activities. Her "rights" don't extend to prohibiting private parties from setting their own rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    This video has been HEAVILY edited and therefore one should not draw any conclusions from it.
    I Think your right CA Patriot, " There are those who wave teabags, and theres those who buy Ammo " !

Robin47 & !

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    This video has been HEAVILY edited and therefore one should not draw any conclusions from it.
    OMG, I would have said ANYTHING just to get her to shut up!!!!!!!!

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Two of the most destructive phrases in America...

"Its for the children!" and
    "For the safety of our officers..."

I did not hear the exchange where he said that. And the camerawench was an obnoxious irritant. Not the best publicity for sane gun right expression

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisc411 View Post
    Im curious what rights do off duty LEOS have like what are they "allowed" to do police wise? And if he was not from California doesnt his jurisdiction end?
    Non LEO's can pretty much do whatever a LEO can do. They can arrest, they can detain, and they can use force to protect themselves and others. They can even get away with a lot more when it comes to searching a person. I believe that pretty much the only thing that a non LEO cannot do is serve a search warrant or an arrest warrant.

LEO's can violate your civil rights and be sued; non LEO's can be just plain sued, but "trying to do the right thing" and "ignorance of the fine points of the law" can be a pretty good excuse. LEO's cannot normally use those excuses (I know, I know; I'm going to get it for that one). LEO's have qualified immunity, non LEO's do not.

What I am trying to say here is that you probably have more power than you think. The line between a LEO and a non LEO does not have to be that stark.
    Last edited by greg36ff; 08-10-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Don't tell that to the unions.