• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in a vehicle

Murray State Ag

I have read every case, article, and post i can find. From what Ive read, I am able to carry a loaded firearm while in a vehicle on my person, in plain sight, or in a regularly factory installed compartment(not exclusively the "glove box").

Is this what you understand?

neuroblades

FLB is correct on the glovebox part. Though it is concealed logically, it is legally considered to be Open Carry stored. *LOL*

Now as for OC'ing on your person, as long as it's in a VISIBLE HOLSTER or lying on the passenger seat in plain view, it is considered legal OC.

DO NOT attempt with a shoulder rig UNLESS you have a CCDW. This is a much debated topic and I went straight to the horses mouth on two different points (An Attorney & KSP). I was told that due to the fact that the typical shoulder rig "conceals" the business end of the pistol. They can and usually will consider it Concelaed Carry and without a CCDW, you're busted for carrying a concealed deadly weapon. Best to stick to a typical strong side (right side) hip holster or even better, a tactical thigh rig. I'm found the tactical thigh rig to be the best carry for in the car travel as it is NOT blocked by the seatbelts when worn and it places the gun at a more natural angle and placement for deployment, if need be.

flb_78

What about a holster mounted on the dash? Not on top of course, but maybe underneath as long as it's in plain sight from the driver window?

I was also wondering since I wear my holster on the right side, it gun would be between me and the armrest and Im a BIG fella.

I guess in actuality, it would be up to the officer.

neuroblades

What about a holster mounted on the dash? Not on top of course, but maybe underneath as long as it's in plain sight from the driver window?

I was also wondering since I wear my holster on the right side, it gun would be between me and the armrest and Im a BIG fella.

I guess in actuality, it would be up to the officer.

Well, everyone on here has their own personal POV on things. I tend to err on the side of caution while still exercising my 2nd Amendment rights.

I'd strongly advise you to NOT try the holster mounted under the dash though, it will be considered a concealed weapon! The KRS is strict on allowable places for a weapon to be stored on a vehicle WITHOUT a CCDW in pocket. If you have a CCDW then YES you could do it, IF you don't have a CCDW then stick with the locations the KRS defines (on the passengers seat or in the glovebox, NO center compartments).

As for the holster on the strong side (the right side), I don't see that there's an issue because the weapon is holstered on your person and there's no intentional action of trying to conceal it but be sure to notify the LEO upon being pulled. Additionally, when carrying, whether OC or CC, roll down that window and then keep the hands on the steering wheel when the officer approaches, then when talked to, notify the officer that you are carrying, especially if OC'ing! Alot of folks say to never tell unless asked and while you can legally do that in Ky., I'd strongly advise anyone who's openly carrying to let them know because if you don't have a CCDW, they have no idea that you're carrying and it can lead to deadly situations if the wrong things happen. With a CCDW, the LEO knows upon running your plate that you have a CCDW and that you're a legal concealed carrier. Therefore they know that chances are that you have a weapon on you and you're strapped. In these sitauations, I hand them my CCDW license when they ask for my driver's liceense. I NEVER refer to my sidearm as a GUN because it might excite rookies or new officers. Also, by doing so, the LEO in question now knows that I am actually carrying and he can direct the encounter in a fashion that allows him to be comfortable there. The sheer fact that once they run the plate and know that the driver is a legal concealed carrier, most officers are more comfortable.

But ultimately, as you wrote, it all comes down to the officer in question. Just make sure you make the officer aware of the weapon when OC'ing, even though it is not required, if something gones wrong, it's all on tape. Most officer's are wearing mics.