Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Mlive.com - Royal Oak street festival gun ban under fire

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Mlive.com - Royal Oak street festival gun ban under fire

    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...uns_open-.html

    SNIP

    Do organizers of the Arts, Beats and Eats festival have the right to ban firearms from public streets and sidewalks in Royal Oak?

    A group of open-carry advocates don't think so, and they plan to protest the ban at tonight's meeting of the Royal Oak City Commission.

    Festival producer Jon Witz tells the Royal Oak Review the organizer's contract with the city is akin to leasing the streets and sidewalks.

    "We have the right to restrict access," he told the newspaper. "We think we have the right to do that because it's a private event."

    However, City Attorney David Gillam said he is examining whether Witz's argument has legal merit, and Michigan Open Carry Inc. deputy coordinator Rob Harris argues the ban infringes on individual rights.

    . . .

  2. #2
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...uns_open-.html

    SNIP

    Do organizers of the Arts, Beats and Eats festival have the right to ban firearms from public streets and sidewalks in Royal Oak?

    A group of open-carry advocates don't think so, and they plan to protest the ban at tonight's meeting of the Royal Oak City Commission.

    Festival producer Jon Witz tells the Royal Oak Review the organizer's contract with the city is akin to leasing the streets and sidewalks.

    "We have the right to restrict access," he told the newspaper. "We think we have the right to do that because it's a private event."

    However, City Attorney David Gillam said he is examining whether Witz's argument has legal merit, and Michigan Open Carry Inc. deputy coordinator Rob Harris argues the ban infringes on individual rights.

    . . .
    In regards to the TV spot.....What a biased crappy piece.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I think that they assign these stories to the most thick headed reporter on the clock intentionally, so that they can put the most biased liberal spin on the story as possible.

  4. #4
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    In regards to the TV spot.....What a biased crappy piece.
    There were 2 separate News Videos. The one that ran on 6 PM Saturday that was more positive, one that ran on 11 PM Saturday that was more negative.

    I have sent MLive my contact info if they are interested in further information on the issue.

    This issue is also being addressed in the following thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...nd-Eats/page15

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I sent channel 7 an email pointing out this biased reporting, and a link to the video.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Michigun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    139
    channel 7 just aired some news on this "controversy" on todays 12pm news. They said Royal Oak lawyers were still looking into this.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    49

    What next?

    WE THE PEOPLE HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY OUR GUNS! WHEN THE LAW STOPS US, FROM HAVING THE RIGHTS GIVEN TO US BY OUR THE BLOOD OUR VETS LOST TIME AND TIME AGAIN, THIS IS THE FIRST STEP TO TAKING ALL OUR RIGHTS AWAY! IF YOU SIT ON YOUR BUTTS AND SAY WELL I DO NOT LIKE GUN THE COP SHOULD JUST HAVE THEM THEN YOU ARE A LOST SOLE AND WHEN THE GOV. AND STATE'S TAKE YOUR RIGHTS AWAY ONE AT A TIME YOU WILL LOOK BACK AND SAY WHAT HAPPEN? BY THIS TIME YOU AND THE REST OF GOOD PEOPLE OF THE USA WILL BE THE LOOSER! SO FOR ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT LOOK AT US THE GOOD PEOPLE FIGHTING FOR GUN RIGHT AS NUT! YOU WILL BE THE FIRST ONE'S RUNNING TO US FOR HELP IF SOME NUT STARTS SHOOTING IN TO ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT DO NOT LIKE THE FACT WE THE PEOPLE ARE GOOD Patriots just look out for life! you need to check out Ignatius Piazza and see what is going on in our home land right now!! I'm just a old Soldier but I know better then to give up my rights, and you should to! WXYZ has just reported on the gun grabbers and not the 2.5+ million of us that feel we have the right to save our loved ones and our self!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    49

    What's Next #2

    Who many times do WE THE PEOPLE have to here about some nut shooting in to a crowed of people to know the cops can not be every where!? it takes just one person trained with a gun to put a stop to nuts like that! but if you gun grabbing nuts keep it up you will have more blood on our streets then you can count! How many times have you herd if I had my gun I could have stopped him? if your gun is at home or you do not like guns them you have no right to say to me I can not have my gun! If you do not like smoking then do not go to a smokers club, if you do not like guns then stay home and one day some nut will come to your home and may kill you or take all you have worked for and if you are home what will you do? call the cops? well it may take them 5 to 20 min's to get to your home, and how much time will it take for the nut in you home to shoot you or just kill you or your loved one? so you can pick to live or pick to die! but I will not go down with a fight! I train hard and I may not be the best but I will never have to tell my wife MY KIDS DIE DO TO THE FACT I DID NOT TRY! OR I LET SOME NUT KILL THEM AND JUST SAT ON MY A$$!!!

  9. #9
    Regular Member Mosnar87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Haven, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    118
    Dude. Just so you know, you are preaching to the choir, please don't yell at us.
    Last edited by Mosnar87; 08-09-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: My atrocious spelling.
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

    "If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Royal Oak
    Posts
    1
    I know it don't matter much but when this event was in Pontiac was this the same policy,I'm just curious

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    49

    Look Out

    We should all show up and send a message to them we are good people WITH RIGHTS! So if we can get the word out and call up every one, and get a point we can meet up and walk in!

  12. #12
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Hey Mike thanks for the Great link! Maybe it would be better just posted in this thread though...

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Beats-and-Eats

    Since we already have a thread going on this issue, and it would be better organized for all the followers of this important issue (also most people ignore the stickies now because their are twenty thousand of them).

    Thank you again sir!
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosnar87 View Post
    Dude. Just so you know, you are preaching to the choir, please don't yell at us.
    I'm not preaching to the choir, and I'm not yell at you all! I'm just sick over the nuts that run our city's and how they can run our city's in the dirt and get rich over it as they get away with taking our rights away one at a time! So if you feel I'm yelling at you I'm not! but if we can stand as one and get a meeting place to walk to city hall and show them we are good people, that put them in office and they work for us! We do not work for them! I will show but we need to set up a place to meet!

  14. #14
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by soldier.53 View Post
    I'm not preaching to the choir, and I'm not yell at you all! I'm just sick over the nuts that run our city's and how they can run our city's in the dirt and get rich over it as they get away with taking our rights away one at a time! So if you feel I'm yelling at you I'm not! but if we can stand as one and get a meeting place to walk to city hall and show them we are good people, that put them in office and they work for us! We do not work for them! I will show but we need to set up a place to meet!
    See this is what I am talking about, go to the original thread, read it. We have met up at the last two meetings right in front of city hall around 6:45pm, we go in at about 7:15pm. We will be doing this again tonight at the city council meeting, please go read the original thread, everything will make more sense, we have all been doing alot to get this resolved already. Hope to see you in a couple of hours!

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Beats-and-Eats
    Last edited by eastmeyers; 08-09-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  15. #15
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Did anyone read this reply-

    "actually in michigan wearing a gun in a holster is considered brandishing, in michigan displaying a gun in any way for others to see falls under brandishing."

    Where do people get this stuff. This guy also said open carry in AZ is legal but not CC.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077
    We disagree. He is preaching to the thousands which view this site and never join. They can learn from what he said as it is truth. To the many who come here and never join, we are also fighting for your rights, it might not be your gun rights you hold dear, but without those gun rights not one right is safe, as the dictators fear gun owners. If all of Germany was armed Hitler would have failed soon as they saw his real motives. So would have Stalin and Trotsky. The fight is on and evidenced by the current administration nothing is off the table to take from we the people. If we were unarmed this current president in my opinion and evidenced by his administrations comments would turn this country into Nazi Germany in a minute.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mosnar87 View Post
    Dude. Just so you know, you are preaching to the choir, please don't yell at us.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    That's right Bailenforcer, and "they" know it, which is why the sheeple have been brainwashed into fear, and why we have gun control laws and PFZ's.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    49

    Royal Oak nuts

    I would like the gun grabbing nuts in Royal Oak to see this can some one please send this to the nut in charge! I would but I'm not to good with this comp things! http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_s...s_ss=yahoomail

  19. #19
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077
    I wonder what would happen if about I don't know maybe 100 OC'ers showed up anyways with money in hand to buy stuff at their silly little festival. Just a thought, wondering if the vendors would find constitutional rights so repulsive as the City of Royal Joke does...


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...uns_open-.html

    SNIP

    Do organizers of the Arts, Beats and Eats festival have the right to ban firearms from public streets and sidewalks in Royal Oak?

    A group of open-carry advocates don't think so, and they plan to protest the ban at tonight's meeting of the Royal Oak City Commission.

    Festival producer Jon Witz tells the Royal Oak Review the organizer's contract with the city is akin to leasing the streets and sidewalks.

    "We have the right to restrict access," he told the newspaper. "We think we have the right to do that because it's a private event."

    However, City Attorney David Gillam said he is examining whether Witz's argument has legal merit, and Michigan Open Carry Inc. deputy coordinator Rob Harris argues the ban infringes on individual rights.

    . . .
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077
    A third grader can understand the difference between brandishing and carry, hence the courts figured it out. Anyone who still operates under that thought process is either in need of 24/7 care, or is being dishonest for their own reasons of deception. Brandishing has already been argued and they lost that moronic argument.



    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    Did anyone read this reply-

    "actually in michigan wearing a gun in a holster is considered brandishing, in michigan displaying a gun in any way for others to see falls under brandishing."

    Where do people get this stuff. This guy also said open carry in AZ is legal but not CC.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077

    Cool

    Wouldn't it be interesting is some undesirable O.C.'er stopped some violent incident at the fair, what would they say then? I get so tired of the Liberal milk toast mentality that somehow a gun is dangerous when so many are killed by so many other things, like knives, cars, ect.

    Flint has a big problem with a knife wielding stalker murdering black people. I think we should ban all sharp objects...



    Quote Originally Posted by soldier.53 View Post
    I would like the gun grabbing nuts in Royal Oak to see this can some one please send this to the nut in charge! I would but I'm not to good with this comp things! http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_s...s_ss=yahoomail
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077

    A crazy idea?

    Maybe we need to fire all the Michigan legislature and bring in new blood, and have a law written that any city or Government agency that attempts to violate the preemption clause would be liable for fines up to $1 Million dollars a day. This would help the State of Michigan get more money in it's coffers. I know it's a crazy idea...... But!
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  23. #23
    Regular Member fozzy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    932
    A tip for future replies, is to use the multi-quote button. Next to the 'reply with a quote' button is a "+ button you can check for each quote you want to reply to. That way you can read the thread, save the quotes for reply, and reply to them all at once, in one reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    Wouldn't it be interesting is some undesirable O.C.'er stopped some violent incident at the fair, what would they say then? I get so tired of the Liberal milk toast mentality that somehow a gun is dangerous when so many are killed by so many other things, like knives, cars, ect.

    Flint has a big problem with a knife wielding stalker murdering black people. I think we should ban all sharp objects...
    'Reply 1'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    Maybe we need to fire all the Michigan legislature and bring in new blood, and have a law written that any city or Government agency that attempts to violate the preemption clause would be liable for fines up to $1 Million dollars a day. This would help the State of Michigan get more money in it's coffers. I know it's a crazy idea...... But!
    'Reply 1'
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

  24. #24
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    Maybe we need to fire all the Michigan legislature and bring in new blood, and have a law written that any city or Government agency that attempts to violate the preemption clause would be liable for fines up to $1 Million dollars a day. This would help the State of Michigan get more money in it's coffers. I know it's a crazy idea...... But!
    I will be creating language soon to put some teeth in MCL 123.1102, in the hopes that we can get someone in the Michigan Legislature to introduce it in a bill. I will be posting it here for review prior to sending it in. There are some in the Michigan Legislature that are on Firearm Rights side, and hopefully the upcoming news article will help our position.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    I will be creating language soon to put some teeth in MCL 123.1102, in the hopes that we can get someone in the Michigan Legislature to introduce it in a bill. I will be posting it here for review prior to sending it in. There are some in the Michigan Legislature that are on Firearm Rights side, and hopefully the upcoming news article will help our position.
    Hmmm.... I somehow expect that any attempt to hold government officials accountable and provide penalties for government officials who step out of line will meet strong resistance from those who are... government officials.

    By the way....when is that news article expected?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •