• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mlive.com - Royal Oak street festival gun ban under fire

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/08/arts_beats_eats_and_guns_open-.html

SNIP

Do organizers of the Arts, Beats and Eats festival have the right to ban firearms from public streets and sidewalks in Royal Oak?

A group of open-carry advocates don't think so, and they plan to protest the ban at tonight's meeting of the Royal Oak City Commission.

Festival producer Jon Witz tells the Royal Oak Review the organizer's contract with the city is akin to leasing the streets and sidewalks.

"We have the right to restrict access," he told the newspaper. "We think we have the right to do that because it's a private event."

However, City Attorney David Gillam said he is examining whether Witz's argument has legal merit, and Michigan Open Carry Inc. deputy coordinator Rob Harris argues the ban infringes on individual rights.

. . .

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/08/arts_beats_eats_and_guns_open-.html

SNIP

Do organizers of the Arts, Beats and Eats festival have the right to ban firearms from public streets and sidewalks in Royal Oak?

A group of open-carry advocates don't think so, and they plan to protest the ban at tonight's meeting of the Royal Oak City Commission.

Festival producer Jon Witz tells the Royal Oak Review the organizer's contract with the city is akin to leasing the streets and sidewalks.

"We have the right to restrict access," he told the newspaper. "We think we have the right to do that because it's a private event."

However, City Attorney David Gillam said he is examining whether Witz's argument has legal merit, and Michigan Open Carry Inc. deputy coordinator Rob Harris argues the ban infringes on individual rights.

. . .

In regards to the TV spot.....What a biased crappy piece.

PDinDetroit

Michigun

channel 7 just aired some news on this "controversy" on todays 12pm news. They said Royal Oak lawyers were still looking into this.

soldier.53

What next?

WE THE PEOPLE HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY OUR GUNS! WHEN THE LAW STOPS US, FROM HAVING THE RIGHTS GIVEN TO US BY OUR THE BLOOD OUR VETS LOST TIME AND TIME AGAIN, THIS IS THE FIRST STEP TO TAKING ALL OUR RIGHTS AWAY! IF YOU SIT ON YOUR BUTTS AND SAY WELL I DO NOT LIKE GUN THE COP SHOULD JUST HAVE THEM THEN YOU ARE A LOST SOLE AND WHEN THE GOV. AND STATE'S TAKE YOUR RIGHTS AWAY ONE AT A TIME YOU WILL LOOK BACK AND SAY WHAT HAPPEN? BY THIS TIME YOU AND THE REST OF GOOD PEOPLE OF THE USA WILL BE THE LOOSER! SO FOR ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT LOOK AT US THE GOOD PEOPLE FIGHTING FOR GUN RIGHT AS NUT! YOU WILL BE THE FIRST ONE'S RUNNING TO US FOR HELP IF SOME NUT STARTS SHOOTING IN TO ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT DO NOT LIKE THE FACT WE THE PEOPLE ARE GOOD Patriots just look out for life! you need to check out Ignatius Piazza and see what is going on in our home land right now!! I'm just a old Soldier but I know better then to give up my rights, and you should to! WXYZ has just reported on the gun grabbers and not the 2.5+ million of us that feel we have the right to save our loved ones and our self!

soldier.53

What's Next #2

Who many times do WE THE PEOPLE have to here about some nut shooting in to a crowed of people to know the cops can not be every where!? it takes just one person trained with a gun to put a stop to nuts like that! but if you gun grabbing nuts keep it up you will have more blood on our streets then you can count! How many times have you herd if I had my gun I could have stopped him? if your gun is at home or you do not like guns them you have no right to say to me I can not have my gun! If you do not like smoking then do not go to a smokers club, if you do not like guns then stay home and one day some nut will come to your home and may kill you or take all you have worked for and if you are home what will you do? call the cops? well it may take them 5 to 20 min's to get to your home, and how much time will it take for the nut in you home to shoot you or just kill you or your loved one? so you can pick to live or pick to die! but I will not go down with a fight! I train hard and I may not be the best but I will never have to tell my wife MY KIDS DIE DO TO THE FACT I DID NOT TRY! OR I LET SOME NUT KILL THEM AND JUST SAT ON MY A$$!!!

Mikey66

I know it don't matter much but when this event was in Pontiac was this the same policy,I'm just curious

soldier.53

Look Out

We should all show up and send a message to them we are good people WITH RIGHTS! So if we can get the word out and call up every one, and get a point we can meet up and walk in!

eastmeyers

Hey Mike thanks for the Great link! Maybe it would be better just posted in this thread though...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?76770-Arts-Beats-and-Eats

Since we already have a thread going on this issue, and it would be better organized for all the followers of this important issue (also most people ignore the stickies now because their are twenty thousand of them).

Thank you again sir!

soldier.53

Dude. Just so you know, you are preaching to the choir, please don't yell at us.

I'm not preaching to the choir, and I'm not yell at you all! I'm just sick over the nuts that run our city's and how they can run our city's in the dirt and get rich over it as they get away with taking our rights away one at a time! So if you feel I'm yelling at you I'm not! but if we can stand as one and get a meeting place to walk to city hall and show them we are good people, that put them in office and they work for us! We do not work for them! I will show but we need to set up a place to meet!

eastmeyers

I'm not preaching to the choir, and I'm not yell at you all! I'm just sick over the nuts that run our city's and how they can run our city's in the dirt and get rich over it as they get away with taking our rights away one at a time! So if you feel I'm yelling at you I'm not! but if we can stand as one and get a meeting place to walk to city hall and show them we are good people, that put them in office and they work for us! We do not work for them! I will show but we need to set up a place to meet!

See this is what I am talking about, go to the original thread, read it. We have met up at the last two meetings right in front of city hall around 6:45pm, we go in at about 7:15pm. We will be doing this again tonight at the city council meeting, please go read the original thread, everything will make more sense, we have all been doing alot to get this resolved already. Hope to see you in a couple of hours!

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?76770-Arts-Beats-and-Eats

Last edited:

detroit_fan

Did anyone read this reply-

"actually in michigan wearing a gun in a holster is considered brandishing, in michigan displaying a gun in any way for others to see falls under brandishing." :banghead:

Where do people get this stuff. This guy also said open carry in AZ is legal but not CC.

Bailenforcer

We disagree. He is preaching to the thousands which view this site and never join. They can learn from what he said as it is truth. To the many who come here and never join, we are also fighting for your rights, it might not be your gun rights you hold dear, but without those gun rights not one right is safe, as the dictators fear gun owners. If all of Germany was armed Hitler would have failed soon as they saw his real motives. So would have Stalin and Trotsky. The fight is on and evidenced by the current administration nothing is off the table to take from we the people. If we were unarmed this current president in my opinion and evidenced by his administrations comments would turn this country into Nazi Germany in a minute.

Dude. Just so you know, you are preaching to the choir, please don't yell at us.

Bailenforcer

I wonder what would happen if about I don't know maybe 100 OC'ers showed up anyways with money in hand to buy stuff at their silly little festival. Just a thought, wondering if the vendors would find constitutional rights so repulsive as the City of Royal Joke does...

SNIP

. . .

Bailenforcer

A third grader can understand the difference between brandishing and carry, hence the courts figured it out. Anyone who still operates under that thought process is either in need of 24/7 care, or is being dishonest for their own reasons of deception. Brandishing has already been argued and they lost that moronic argument.

Did anyone read this reply-

"actually in michigan wearing a gun in a holster is considered brandishing, in michigan displaying a gun in any way for others to see falls under brandishing." :banghead:

Where do people get this stuff. This guy also said open carry in AZ is legal but not CC.