Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Jared Galleria of Jewelry is anti, need help finding another jeweler!

  1. #1
    Regular Member FretlessMayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    46

    Jared Galleria of Jewelry is anti, need help finding another jeweler!

    This past Saturday I decided to go look at engagement rings. I had looked a little at Kay's inside Greenbrier Mall before, and wasn't impressed with their selection. This time I decided to go to the large freestanding jewelry store Jared in Lynnhaven, since I assumed they'd have a much bigger selection.

    Then, there it was, in big white letters on the front of the building. Since I had already driven out there, I respected their wishes, left my carry weapon in the car, and went in for a couple minutes.

    The selection was very nice. I'm looking for a pear shaped diamond ring, and they actually had that type of diamond there, which Kay did not. Nevertheless, they don't want my business. I mentioned something about it to the nice lady working there and she said "You know, we don't want people to come in and rob us". I asked her if she really thought the sign would stop said robber, and she said no. But it didn't seem to click.

    Can anyone recommend a gun friendly jeweler in the Hampton Roads area? The ones in the malls don't seem to have much selection, and that Jared is the only free standing jeweler I am aware of.

    Thanks so much! And yes, I did use the search function.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    I think you would find that if you looked into it deeper, that Jared is NOT actually "anti", they are just "anti" for the "wrong kinds of people". I'd be willing to bet that they have at least one armed courier that they use for moving inventory around, and I'd be willing to bet that the owner of this particular store has a VA permit himself.

    They just don't want the "commoners" havng the ability to defend themselves. In their eyes,, the lives of the unwashed rabble aren't nearly as important or valuable as their shiny little rocks...

    Jewelers are notoriously hypocritical when it comes to "gun control"...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291
    LOL you didn't know that.

    My buddy was looking at a $3,000 ring and they threw him out for having a tactical folding knife.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Beverly Hills Jewelers in Richmond is the only one I know of that would have a good selection.
    Heaven help anyone that tries to rob them.

    Wherever you go and purchase a ring (Assuming gun friendly) send a copy of the receipt to Jared's with a thank you note.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-09-2010 at 01:09 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037
    Avoid Gordon's like the plague.

    I don't know if they have a policy or not, but you could try Long's on VB Blvd near Kings Grant. They're a locally-owned business, too, I believe.

    I wouldn't patronize Jared solely due to the absolute inanity of their advertisements.
    Last edited by wylde007; 08-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    May be a bit of a drive, but Adolf Jewelers in Henrico is very pro-2A
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  7. #7
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Beverly Hills Jewelers in Richmond is the only one I know of that would have a good selection.
    Heaven help anyone that tries to rob them.

    .
    Based upon past events there, I would not suggest walking in armed.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  8. #8
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Based upon past events there, I would not suggest walking in armed.
    I don't have any idea what you are talking about, but with that kind of an ominous warning, I don't think I'd want to go there unarmed either!

    I guess it sucks to be them... Their customers can't be armed or unarmed...

    TFred

  9. #9
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I don't have any idea what you are talking about, but with that kind of an ominous warning, I don't think I'd want to go there unarmed either!

    I guess it sucks to be them... Their customers can't be armed or unarmed...

    TFred
    Perhaps I'm remembering the wrong place. Its on Staples Mill Road. Anyway, if memory serves, some bad guys came in one time to rob the place and the heavily armed store employees put 'em down hard.


    ETA - Here's the story - http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_99130342/
    Last edited by ProShooter; 08-09-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: add'l info
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, ,
    Posts
    385
    I was always happy with this place, which is right near Greenbrier Mall.

    C White Ltd
    1125 Eden Way North, Chesapeake, VA 23320-2751
    (757) 436-4972
    http://www.cwhiteltd.com/
    Hours of Operation: We are open Monday – Thursday 10AM – 6PM or by appointment


    He actually does a lot of his own work as well. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I open carried there fairly often, and I don't recall him ever saying anything.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by FretlessMayhem View Post
    This past Saturday I decided to go look at engagement rings. I had looked a little at Kay's inside Greenbrier Mall before, and wasn't impressed with their selection. This time I decided to go to the large freestanding jewelry store Jared in Lynnhaven, since I assumed they'd have a much bigger selection.

    Then, there it was, in big white letters on the front of the building. Since I had already driven out there, I respected their wishes, left my carry weapon in the car, and went in for a couple minutes.

    The selection was very nice. I'm looking for a pear shaped diamond ring, and they actually had that type of diamond there, which Kay did not. Nevertheless, they don't want my business. I mentioned something about it to the nice lady working there and she said "You know, we don't want people to come in and rob us". I asked her if she really thought the sign would stop said robber, and she said no. But it didn't seem to click.

    Can anyone recommend a gun friendly jeweler in the Hampton Roads area? The ones in the malls don't seem to have much selection, and that Jared is the only free standing jeweler I am aware of.

    Thanks so much! And yes, I did use the search function.
    Don't know if they have one down there, but Mervis is gun friendly. I've been to the one at Tyson's several times open carrying.

  13. #13
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694
    Just so you know, Jared and Kay are both owned by Sterling Jewelers.

  14. #14
    Regular Member virginiatuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    788

    pawn shop

    Check into local pawn shops.

  15. #15
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Perhaps I'm remembering the wrong place. Its on Staples Mill Road. Anyway, if memory serves, some bad guys came in one time to rob the place and the heavily armed store employees put 'em down hard.


    ETA - Here's the story - http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_99130342/
    That's the place Jim.
    Been in there many times OC'ing. Nice enough fellows as long as you're not trying to rob them.

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    I think you would find that if you looked into it deeper, that Jared is NOT actually "anti", they are just "anti" for the "wrong kinds of people". I'd be willing to bet that they have at least one armed courier that they use for moving inventory around, and I'd be willing to bet that the owner of this particular store has a VA permit himself.
    Both of the Jared I've been to have armed guards. I doubt the sales or store's admin staff are allowed to carry since, like mentioned, Jared is a division of Sterling/Signet Jewelers.
    ---

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Postcards sent to my local Dulles store and President/CEO at HQ in Ohio.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jareds.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	3522

  18. #18
    Regular Member FretlessMayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Wherever you go and purchase a ring (Assuming gun friendly) send a copy of the receipt to Jared's with a thank you note.
    I was definitely planning on doing that! Why tell them they lost my business when I can easily prove it to them!

    I read that story about the shop in Richmond. That's intense.

  19. #19
    Regular Member FretlessMayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    46

    .38

    Now that I think about it more, even more troubling is the fact that I sometimes carry a snub nose .38. I'm in love with the new Smith and Wesson Bodyguard and how lightweight it is.

    I think I'm going to switch back to my H&K P2000 SK, or maybe go with the Taurus Public Defender once my holster is finished being made.

  20. #20
    Regular Member possumboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,090
    I had a similar experience at the one in Tysons.

    I was buying a diamond for my wife. This was when both of us were working and no kids. I found what I wanted for $12,000 and made arrangements to pick it up the next day.

    I arrived with cash in hand. They told me I could not make the purchase while wearing the gun. I would have to “leave it in the car.” I told them I’m either carrying 12Gs in cash or a ring. I’m not going unprotected. I even showed them the cash. They still said I could not be in the store with “that gun”.

    I said OK and walked out. As I was driving away, the ran out to my car and said it would be OK since this was such a large purchased. I said “No thank you, but I buy a lot of jewelry for my wife, and will not go unprotected.”

    They promised me the gun would not be a problem. I told them as long as the sign is on the door, my money is elsewhere.

    I went to Bailey, Banks, and Biddle. Great store with a good selection. I was also able to find a better quality diamond in a platinum setting for less. I think they have shut down. Since kids, my wife gets homemade jewelry...

  21. #21
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by possumboy View Post
    I was buying a diamond for my wife. This was when both of us were working and no kids. I found what I wanted for $12,000 and made arrangements to pick it up the next day.

    I arrived with cash in hand. They told me I could not make the purchase while wearing the gun. I would have to “leave it in the car.” I told them I’m either carrying 12Gs in cash or a ring. I’m not going unprotected. I even showed them the cash. They still said I could not be in the store with “that gun”.

    I said OK and walked out. As I was driving away, the ran out to my car and said it would be OK since this was such a large purchased. I said “No thank you, but I buy a lot of jewelry for my wife, and will not go unprotected.”

    They promised me the gun would not be a problem. I told them as long as the sign is on the door, my money is elsewhere.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  22. #22
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461
    I stay out of Jared due to their policy. I also don't like their policy of recording the conversations of customers.

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by possumboy View Post
    I had a similar experience at the one in Tysons.
    <snip>

    I went to Bailey, Banks, and Biddle. Great store with a good selection. I was also able to find a better quality diamond in a platinum setting for less. I think they have shut down. Since kids, my wife gets homemade jewelry...
    Yes, Bailey, Banks and Biddle shut down. Left my daughter without a job, and with a snobbish attitude toward jewelry <grin>. They had been owned by Zales, then were owned by Finley (who stocks Macy's jewelry counters, IIRC) before going out of business.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Britain, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by possumboy View Post
    I had a similar experience at the one in Tysons.

    I was buying a diamond for my wife. This was when both of us were working and no kids. I found what I wanted for $12,000 and made arrangements to pick it up the next day.

    I arrived with cash in hand. They told me I could not make the purchase while wearing the gun. I would have to “leave it in the car.” I told them I’m either carrying 12Gs in cash or a ring. I’m not going unprotected. I even showed them the cash. They still said I could not be in the store with “that gun”.

    I said OK and walked out. As I was driving away, the ran out to my car and said it would be OK since this was such a large purchased. I said “No thank you, but I buy a lot of jewelry for my wife, and will not go unprotected.”

    They promised me the gun would not be a problem. I told them as long as the sign is on the door, my money is elsewhere.

    I went to Bailey, Banks, and Biddle. Great store with a good selection. I was also able to find a better quality diamond in a platinum setting for less. I think they have shut down. Since kids, my wife gets homemade jewelry...
    Are you kidding??

    You walked into the store with $12k in f'n CASH and they bitched about you carrying??

    Amazing!! This needs to go into the Open Carry Hall Of Fame....

  25. #25
    McX
    Guest
    great story, great action on your part, nothin hits them like the truth, and a closed wallet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •