• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Movie Tavern - Anti-Gun

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Regardless of it being a chain, remember that although you have an option to CC the place serves alcohol for on-premise consumption. http://www.movietavern.com/concept7.php That means if you CC you cannot drink.

Six-buck tickets before 6 PM may be somewhat of a bargain, but it looks like they are more than making up any loss there with their food/consession stand prices. http://www.movietavern.com/theaterlocations7/2009Apr_MenuWilliamsburg.pdf I'm thinking that I can get an all-around better deal with NetFlix and my own goodies.

Notwithstanding my misanthropic and cheapskate attitude, do enjoy yourself and let us know how it turned out.

stay safe.

simmonsjoe

Movie tavern is awesome

Not posted. Nobody said a word about my OCing. Hopefully we now have a movie theater we can do OC events to. (lets not plan too quickly, it was a first go and I didn't ask permission. Lets get a few more successes and then we'll try)

And it is an AWESOME theater. It is a restaurant! You watch the movie from nice office chairs at benches. The food is great. I had a buffalo chicken wrap and fries. They even deliver the food to you as the movie starts!!:lol:

They also serve beer, pizza, panini sandwiches, chicken wings, and more.

Last edited:

curtiswr

We had a few individual successes at Bow Tie Movieland here in Richmond... then we did an OC movie of about 8 or 9 people. Halfway through the movie the manager stood in the door and watched us. He waited until the end to tell us that corporate policy was no guns.

mpd8488

Not posted. Nobody said a word about my OCing. Hopefully we now have a movie theater we can do OC events to. (lets not plan too quickly, it was a first go and I didn't ask permission. Lets get a few more successes and then we'll try)

I love that place and I'm glad to hear you didn't have any problems. I've never carried there because I like to drink those giant pitcher size mugs of beer, but I'm definitely willing to OC there once I get back down to school

simmonsjoe

Asked to leave

Manager told me it was illegal to carry because they serve alcohol. I told him that was not VA law. He then informed me it was TX law, and that is where Movie Tavern is headquartered, so it counted here as well. I told him that was not the law in Texas, except for bars. He then informed me he could refuse service to anyone he wished. I got a refund for my ticket and left.

Now that I knew it was based in TX, I went online and checked the Texas chl forum. Guess what? Not posted 30.06 . So apparently the Manager 'Drew' is full of ****. I have an e-mail to corporate.

BTW The manager didn't mention company policy. Just fake laws.

I will also call the corporate offices Monday.

MSC 45ACP

Commodore Theater in Portsmouth

The rather ancient Commodore Theater on High Street in Portsmouth is also a "Dinner Theater" type arrangement. When I saw the OP, I thought you were talking about Portsmouth rather than Richmond. Pretty funny... a dinner theater on High Street in both cities.

I haven't been to the Commodore in a few years. The prices were kinda high, but the food was decent. Has anyone ever OC'd there?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Manager told me it was illegal to carry because they serve alcohol. I told him that was not VA law. He then informed me it was TX law, and that is where Movie Tavern is headquartered, so it counted here as well. I told him that was not the law in Texas, except for bars. He then informed me he could refuse service to anyone he wished. I got a refund for my ticket and left.

Now that I knew it was based in TX, I went online and checked the Texas chl forum. Guess what? Not posted 30.06 . So apparently the Manager 'Drew' is full of ****. I have an e-mail to corporate.

BTW The manager didn't mention company policy. Just fake laws.

I will also call the corporate offices Monday.

I figured!

simmonsjoe

Update

13:46easter
Talked to Janice, Customer Service at corporate offices. Janice informed me she had received my e-mail and was awaiting a response from Operations. Janice will contact me as soon as she has an answer.

I couldn't get a read off of her. I've never done this before so it was a little unpolished. (I was polite) I did inform her there was a large group of open carriers in VA, and that we like to know where we are welcome, because we don't spend our money at discriminatory businesses.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
13:46easter
Talked to Janice, Customer Service at corporate offices. Janice informed me she had received my e-mail and was awaiting a response from Operations. Janice will contact me as soon as she has an answer.

I couldn't get a read off of her. I've never done this before so it was a little unpolished. (I was polite) I did inform her there was a large group of open carriers in VA, and that we like to know where we are welcome, because we don't spend our money at discriminatory businesses.

Good work Joe!
Stay on them.

simmonsjoe

Update

Called Janice in Operations today and asked for an update.

She asked management for an update today, and they informed her they are still working on it.

I'm assuming this means it has been referred to a lawyer, and they are waiting to see what they say before making policy.

simmonsjoe

Getting the run-around.

I don't understand what is so difficult about this ******* question. Now Janice is saying The Head of HR was gonna call me about it but he had to go out of town. I didn't know there weren't any phones out of town.

Anyhow apparently he is avoiding providing a written answer, which I find highly suspicious.

Will keep you updated

simmonsjoe

I finally got to talk to someone.

I pulled out every stop, countered every argument. The end decision was NO FIREARMS.

The final excuse was 'company continuity.' It is all he had left after every single BS reasoning he put forth I countered.