Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M&M's™ - Is Anti Gun

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

M&M's™ - Is Anti Gun

So I was thinking of having some custome candy for a Virgiinia Open carry dinner..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nomms.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	3514

Since GSL would fir on the two lines they offer.. I asked if they could make it three lines.

- - - -
    Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your interest in MY M&M’s® and will be happy to assist you with your inquiry.

We now offer up to 4 messages per customization and 2 lines per M&M’s® to accommodate your message.

We support the family-nature of our brand and therefore sometimes cannot accept orders based upon the requested customization regardless of the intended meaning. Unfortunately, while we are certain your intended message would be submitted with the best of intentions, we must adhere to the strict guidelines posted on our website. Some reasons your text may not be usable are:

·Offensive
    ·Obscenities
    ·Copyrighted-Business Name
    ·Trademark Product Names
    ·Celebrity Names
    ·Sports Teams
    ·Major Events
    ·Landmarks
    ·Schools/Institution Names
    ·Fraternity/ Sorority Names
    ·Single Letters
    ·Text not available
    ·Phone Numbers (Need to include a “PH” or “T” before the digits)
    ·Bite me or eat me
    ·Any references to drugs or drinking
    ·Cannot print symbols
    ·Nothing to do with guns
    ·Negative or derogatory

Please feel free to reply to this email (customerservice@mymms.com) or contact customer care at 1.888.696.6788 from 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST Monday through Friday for any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Your friends at MY M&M’s®\ LuAnn
    Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:02 PM
    To: Mars Direct - My M&M's
    Subject: Product Question

Can you print on three lines: GUNS Save Lives

They seem VERY pro gun

Ed we are definately OK.

Your message has EVERYTHING to do with guns. As I read their reqirements the must reject every message that has NOTHING to do with guns. Can't get more pro gun than that.
    Last edited by Thundar; 08-09-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Just order GSL, and then put a Guns Save lives sticker on each package that they come in.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Just order GSL, and then put a Guns Save lives sticker on each package that they come in.

I sent an e-mail

I am a member of Opencarry.org, a 2nd amendment rights movement. One of our members was looking into getting some personalized M&Ms for an upcoming event. I was absolutely appalled that your company refused to place our logo on an order for us because we are a gun rights organization. Your discriminatory practice to a constitutionally protected God given right is unacceptable. I personally, nor anyone in my family, will ever purchase a Mars product ever again. I will be asking for e-mails to be sent to all the members of Opencarry.org, the Virginia Citizens Defense League, and Virginia Gun Owners Association asking them to do the same.

Way to go, losing 50,000 customers.
    On top of that you have offended the greater than 40% of Virginians who own guns, and the 4 MILLION members of the NRA.

Good thing you are a family owned business! If you were a publicly traded corporation your actions could be considered negligent, as you'd have a duty to maximize profit for your shareholders. (Alienating half the population is generally a no-no.)

When you discriminate, you lose $$$.

-----------------------------------------
    Joseph G. Simmons
    simmons.joe@gmail.com
    Mattaponi, VA 23110

A RIGHT UN-EXERCISED IS A RIGHT LOST.
    "I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." -Thomas Jefferson
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

And to top it off, they are headquartered in McLean.

generating global revenues of $30 billion annually and operating in six business segments: Chocolate, Petcare, Wrigley Gum and Confections, Food, Drinks, and Symbioscience. These segments produce some of the world’s leading brands: Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Petcare – PEDIGREE®, WHISKAS®, SHEBA®, CESAR® and ROYAL CANIN®; Wrigley – ORBIT®, EXTRA®, STARBURST®, DOUBLEMINT® and SKITTLES®; Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS® and SEEDS OF CHANGE®; Drinks – KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – WISDOM PANELTM MX, SERAMIS®, and COCOAPRO™.

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    I am a member of Opencarry.org, a 2nd amendment rights movement. One of our members was looking into getting some personalized M&Ms for an upcoming event. I was absolutely appalled that your company refused to place our logo on an order for us because we are a gun rights organization. Your discriminatory practice to a constitutionally protected God given right is unacceptable. I personally, nor anyone in my family, will ever purchase a Mars product ever again. I will be asking for e-mails to be sent to all the members of Opencarry.org, the Virginia Citizens Defense League, and Virginia Gun Owners Association asking them to do the same.

Way to go, losing 50,000 customers.
    On top of that you have offended the greater than 40% of Virginians who own guns, and the 4 MILLION members of the NRA.

Good thing you are a family owned business! If you were a publicly traded corporation your actions could be considered negligent, as you'd have a duty to maximize profit for your shareholders. (Alienating half the population is generally a no-no.)

When you discriminate, you lose $$$.

Joseph G. Simmons
    simmons.joe@gmail.com
    Mattaponi, VA 23110
    beautiful. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    I was absolutely appalled that your company refused to place our logo on an order for us because we are a gun rights organization.
    As I read their email, the PRIMARY reason they could not do Guns Save Lives was because they can only print on 2 lines, not 3.

This isn't the end of the world. Granted you can't print gun stuff on M&M's, not cool. But did you see that list of other stuff? A company has a right to choose what they will allow on their products just as much as you have a right to carry, own property etc. They have alot of people to please, gun owners and non owners alike. Its quite a bit different from a store or what have you banning firearms. By having a gun or gun phrase on a product with their name also on it they appear to support and endorse guns, drugs, alcohol, etc etc etc. I don't see anyone up in arms about Mars not being willing to support meth. Relax folks, not the end of the world.

That's great you're never going to buy another Mars product. Good luck with that. I personally will, in fact I'm eating a snickers bar right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    Its petty
    "All" of the petty things against gun rights slowly become a BIG thing. So.. will I still buy M&M's.. sure. Will I write the MARS family and tell them I don't like their anti gun stance? probably. Will it change anything? Probably not..

Quote Originally Posted by tdbarge View Post
    By having a gun or gun phrase on a product with their name also on it they appear to support and endorse guns, drugs, alcohol, etc etc etc. I don't see anyone up in arms about Mars not being willing to support meth. Relax folks, not the end of the world.
    I agree, but will add that guns are not meth.

in the eyes of some people they are just as "evil" though. Marijuana might be a better analogy, some say its bad and horrible and the root of evil, some say it is one of the greatest tools EVER. Same with guns.

Here we go again

Grab the popcorn cause here we go again!

The kinda support gun rights people Vs. The always support gun rights people.

I should come up with a code for this because I say it so often.

I support private property rights as strongly as I do second amendment rights.
    I will also use my right to spend my money with people that feel as I do.

As far as Mars goes...I can't boycott them because I can't eat anything they make.
    Enjoy your ten pounds of candy and your ounce of Second Amendment support Wooly

The Invisible Hand of Competition

Sam's Club will personalize chocolate bars for you:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...&ci_sku=172488

And Hersheys:

http://wrappedhersheys.com/
    Last edited by Virginiaplanter; 08-09-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I can't eat anything they make.
    I bet you could have ONE M&M.

Ironic...

Seems to me M&M/Mars is unaware (or doesn't care, or chooses not to recognize) why M&Ms were created in the first place!!

As I understand it, they were created so that SOLDIERS would have a tidy sweet snack in their battlefield kits.

Way to go, Ninnies of Corporate America!!

Boycotts don't hurt a corporation that large, so I won't make a fuss over that.

However.......

Public discussion and letter campaigns CAN have an effect. Publishing the company's response on websites that are sensitive to some of the prohibitions listed, and copying media outlets on them, could prove... motivational?????

Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    Seems to me M&M/Mars is unaware (or doesn't care, or chooses not to recognize) why M&Ms were created in the first place!!

As I understand it, they were created so that SOLDIERS would have a tidy sweet snack in their battlefield kits.

Way to go, Ninnies of Corporate America!!

Boycotts don't hurt a corporation that large, so I won't make a fuss over that.

However.......

Public discussion and letter campaigns CAN have an effect. Publishing the company's response on websites that are sensitive to some of the prohibitions listed, and copying media outlets on them, could prove... motivational?????
    I agree with everything you said Mr. H, but boycotting goes beyond hurting the company.

I'll move OT for an example.
    I open doors for ladies. Places that are busy cause a train of people being let in, but I still do it.

I remove my hat during the American Anthem (Even though I don't want to sometimes)

I don't acknowledge gay couples.

None of these things make much difference to others but they make me feel better. It's not about bringing down a giant corporation, it's about doing what you feel is right.

I was looking for a connector to make a cable the other day. It was Sony specific and I called a Sony Dealer. He had it but didn't have a store front, he sold on Ebay. I told him I didn't buy from Ebay. He sounded a little hurt and asked why. I explained they were antigun and low down SOB's to boot.

He said "But I'm not" and I said..."Well, you shouldn't be selling there".
    Then I bought it from someone else.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-09-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Test the theory.

See if they'll print other slogans.

"Ban guns!"
    "Legalize It!"

You get the idea....

<<None of these things make much difference to others but they make me feel better. It's not about bringing down a giant corporation, it's about doing what you feel is right.>>

Agree completely, which is why I mentioned that I won't personally be going the "boycott" route, but rather make noise on any other fronts I see a chance to get the word out.
    Last edited by Mr H; 08-09-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    <<None of these things make much difference to others but they make me feel better. It's not about bringing down a giant corporation, it's about doing what you feel is right.>>

Agree completely, which is why I mentioned that I won't personally be going the "boycott" route, but rather make noise on any other fronts I see a chance to get the word out.
    I wish I had that option, I like M&M's.
    Diabetes is a curse. I have it because I used to play golf in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Diabetes is a curse. I have it because I used to play golf in the mountains
    That I could understand. However I can offer no such explanation for mine. I'll call it random.
    Last edited by t33j; 08-09-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    That I could understand. However I can offer no such explanation for mine. I'll call it random.
    I think there's a long list of things that can bring on the curse, TJ.

It is possible that Possum Putting wasn't the only cause. It could have been that Exchange teacher from Brazil, or a host of other things.

You're too young to start thinking about past sins though.
    It's possible you have a legitimate medical problem. At least you don't have to wonder if Saint Peter (No relation unfortunately) is keeping a permanent record.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I'll bet they would make M&Ms with OC on them if no explanation or other details were provided.

Maybe a 2nd bag with DO and mix the two when you receive them.

OCDO and DO OC in the same dish!
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-10-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: added thought
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I'll bet they would make M&Ms with OC on them if no explanation or other details were provided.

Maybe a 2nd bag with DO and mix the two when you receive them.

OCDO and DO OC in the same dish!
    Now THAT is the SMARTEST ad idea I've EVER SEEN!!!

You go, Mr. Grapeshot!!!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

*rollseyes*
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Now THAT is the SMARTEST ad idea I've EVER SEEN!!!

You go, Mr. Grapeshot!!!
    Thank you, sir - check is in the mail.

I'm really good with four letter (or less) words.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast