Thread: Interacting with the public

Interacting with the public

One of the things I liked the most about Sanford was getting into the community and talking with the local residents. They seemed to have a generally favorable reaction to our presence. We should take that as a lesson learned, I think.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

I agree, Question is there always going to be hot head in every group. Never know who or when something will erupt. A booth would be controlled setting. At very least OC shouldn't be left alone we need a witness to events as the unfold.
    Last edited by jonjon_jon; 08-09-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ep0k View Post
    One of the things I liked the most about Sanford was getting into the community and talking with the local residents. They seemed to have a generally favorable reaction to our presence. We should take that as a lesson learned, I think.
    I agree ep0k, me Mike Donovan and our wives had an awesome experience with a women who came out of her house as we were walking by. She asked what we were doing so Mike explained it to her and she was not only supportive but was thankful. Our only regret was we did not get it on video. Cant wait for the next "gathering". Is one in the works? Please keep us informed we are anxious for more!

I think the positive word of mouth is very powerful when you have those small moments w. people, especially when we're doing something as 'disarming' as a community service trash pickup. Definitely wise to be in groups of two or more, though. A voice recorder wouldn't hurt, either. Does Maine allow one-party recording?

Staying in one big group huddled around a barbeque pit doesn't encourage interaction w. the general public... Walking a big goofy labrador is another good tactic for breaking the ice

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    I agree, Question is there always going to be hot head in every group. Never know who or when something will erupt. A booth would be controlled setting. At very least OC shouldn't be left alone we need a witness to events as the unfold.
    I agree that there is usually a hotheaded rabid hoplophobe, though the group I was walking with got a very positive response. We can still turn an encounter with a hostile person into a victory by looking presentable and stating our position in a lucid, clear, and non-confrontational way. He or she may walk away from it at least thinking "those guys seemed alright." Even if they still disagree with our position they may be less inclined to a knee-jerk reaction in the future.

I talked about this a little in my essay.

http://maineopencarry.org/essay.html

Quote Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
    I think the positive word of mouth is very powerful when you have those small moments w. people, especially when we're doing something as 'disarming' as a community service trash pickup. Definitely wise to be in groups of two or more, though. A voice recorder wouldn't hurt, either. Does Maine allow one-party recording?

Staying in one big group huddled around a barbeque pit doesn't encourage interaction w. the general public... Walking a big goofy labrador is another good tactic for breaking the ice
    To my understanding one party must consent. You (the recorder) can be that person. Maybe Paul Mattson can elaborate on this but I think I'm correct. Just picked up my digital recorder today, actually.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

Accomplished Advocate
    [QUOTE=ep0k;1327043]I agree that there is usually a hotheaded rabid hoplophobe, though the group I was walking with got a very positive response. We can still turn an encounter with a hostile person into a victory by looking presentable and stating our position in a lucid, clear, and non-confrontational way. He or she may walk away from it at least thinking "those guys seemed alright." Even if they still disagree with our position they may be less inclined to a knee-jerk reaction in the future.

Maine is a one party consent state when it comes to recording. As long as one person in the group knows that they are recording your good. So if I was standing in a group of 50 people and knew that I was recording your set. (Obviously your going to know that your recording).

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    Maine is a one party consent state when it comes to recording. As long as one person in the group knows that they are recording your good. So if I was standing in a group of 50 people and knew that I was recording your set. (Obviously your going to know that your recording).
    There you have it, folks, another mystery solved by the MOCA team.

No applause, just throw money. Seriously.
    Last edited by ep0k; 08-09-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

Accomplished Advocate
    There you have it, folks, another mystery solved by the MOCA team.

No applause, just throw money. Seriously.
    hahaha, is it bad that i literally lol'd at that?

hahaha, is it bad that i literally lol'd at that?
    Nothing is more amusing than desperation. So... no.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    [QUOTE=shanebelanger;1327081]
    I agree that there is usually a hotheaded rabid hoplophobe, though the group I was walking with got a very positive response. We can still turn an encounter with a hostile person into a victory by looking presentable and stating our position in a lucid, clear, and non-confrontational way. He or she may walk away from it at least thinking "those guys seemed alright." Even if they still disagree with our position they may be less inclined to a knee-jerk reaction in the future.

One party consent state:
    http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/maine.html

Hot heads benefit no one. Ooops, there goes my nose again.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

[QUOTE=Grapeshot;1327176]

One party consent state:
    http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/maine.html

Hot heads benefit no one. Ooops, there goes my nose again.
    I see what you did there, Sir.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

Nothing is more amusing than desperation. So... no.
    Has anyone literally said, "All donations graciously appreciated."?

If you don't ask for them or at least provide the opportunity, it won't happen.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Has anyone literally said, "All donations graciously appreciated."?

If you don't ask for them or at least provide the opportunity, it won't happen.
    Not in so many words. People are eager to donate. We're in the process of getting our financial affairs in order and making sure that everything is 100% above the table and completely legit.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

Not in so many words. People are eager to donate. We're in the process of getting our financial affairs in order and making sure that everything is 100% above the table and completely legit.
    501(c)(3) I presume. Setting up every isn't free though. Starter funds help a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    501(c)(3) I presume. Setting up every isn't free though. Starter funds help a LOT.
    That's our plan. One of the reasons we've been explicit about our non-partisan status is to streamline that process. Mike is working on establishing us as an LLC with the long-term objective being 501(c)(3)
    Last edited by ep0k; 08-10-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown