• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interacting with the public

ep0k

One of the things I liked the most about Sanford was getting into the community and talking with the local residents. They seemed to have a generally favorable reaction to our presence. We should take that as a lesson learned, I think.

jonjon_jon

I agree, Question is there always going to be hot head in every group. Never know who or when something will erupt. A booth would be controlled setting. At very least OC shouldn't be left alone we need a witness to events as the unfold.

Last edited:

damienrr

One of the things I liked the most about Sanford was getting into the community and talking with the local residents. They seemed to have a generally favorable reaction to our presence. We should take that as a lesson learned, I think.

I agree ep0k, me Mike Donovan and our wives had an awesome experience with a women who came out of her house as we were walking by. She asked what we were doing so Mike explained it to her and she was not only supportive but was thankful. Our only regret was we did not get it on video. Cant wait for the next "gathering". Is one in the works? Please keep us informed we are anxious for more!

rhenriksen

I think the positive word of mouth is very powerful when you have those small moments w. people, especially when we're doing something as 'disarming' as a community service trash pickup. Definitely wise to be in groups of two or more, though. A voice recorder wouldn't hurt, either. Does Maine allow one-party recording?

Staying in one big group huddled around a barbeque pit doesn't encourage interaction w. the general public... Walking a big goofy labrador is another good tactic for breaking the ice :)

ep0k

I agree, Question is there always going to be hot head in every group. Never know who or when something will erupt. A booth would be controlled setting. At very least OC shouldn't be left alone we need a witness to events as the unfold.

I agree that there is usually a hotheaded rabid hoplophobe, though the group I was walking with got a very positive response. We can still turn an encounter with a hostile person into a victory by looking presentable and stating our position in a lucid, clear, and non-confrontational way. He or she may walk away from it at least thinking "those guys seemed alright." Even if they still disagree with our position they may be less inclined to a knee-jerk reaction in the future.

I talked about this a little in my essay.

http://maineopencarry.org/essay.html

I think the positive word of mouth is very powerful when you have those small moments w. people, especially when we're doing something as 'disarming' as a community service trash pickup. Definitely wise to be in groups of two or more, though. A voice recorder wouldn't hurt, either. Does Maine allow one-party recording?

Staying in one big group huddled around a barbeque pit doesn't encourage interaction w. the general public... Walking a big goofy labrador is another good tactic for breaking the ice :)

To my understanding one party must consent. You (the recorder) can be that person. Maybe Paul Mattson can elaborate on this but I think I'm correct. Just picked up my digital recorder today, actually.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I agree that there is usually a hotheaded rabid hoplophobe, though the group I was walking with got a very positive response. We can still turn an encounter with a hostile person into a victory by looking presentable and stating our position in a lucid, clear, and non-confrontational way. He or she may walk away from it at least thinking "those guys seemed alright." Even if they still disagree with our position they may be less inclined to a knee-jerk reaction in the future.

Maine is a one party consent state when it comes to recording. As long as one person in the group knows that they are recording your good. So if I was standing in a group of 50 people and knew that I was recording your set. (Obviously your going to know that your recording).

ep0k

Maine is a one party consent state when it comes to recording. As long as one person in the group knows that they are recording your good. So if I was standing in a group of 50 people and knew that I was recording your set. (Obviously your going to know that your recording).

There you have it, folks, another mystery solved by the MOCA team.

No applause, just throw money. Seriously.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

One party consent state:
http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/maine.html

Hot heads benefit no one. Ooops, there goes my nose again. :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nothing is more amusing than desperation. So... no.

Has anyone literally said, "All donations graciously appreciated."?

If you don't ask for them or at least provide the opportunity, it won't happen.

ep0k

Has anyone literally said, "All donations graciously appreciated."?

If you don't ask for them or at least provide the opportunity, it won't happen.

Not in so many words. People are eager to donate. We're in the process of getting our financial affairs in order and making sure that everything is 100% above the table and completely legit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not in so many words. People are eager to donate. We're in the process of getting our financial affairs in order and making sure that everything is 100% above the table and completely legit.

501(c)(3) I presume. Setting up every isn't free though. Starter funds help a LOT.

ep0k

501(c)(3) I presume. Setting up every isn't free though. Starter funds help a LOT.

That's our plan. One of the reasons we've been explicit about our non-partisan status is to streamline that process. Mike is working on establishing us as an LLC with the long-term objective being 501(c)(3)

Last edited: