Sec. 42-11. Weapons prohibited on city property.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, all persons are prohibited from possessing weapons as defined in G.S. 14-269 in city-owned nonresidential buildings as defined in G.S. 14-54(C), their appurtenant premises and parks.
(b) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:
(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons;
(2) Civil officers of the United States while in the discharge of their official duties;
(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the National Guard when called into actual service;
(4) Sworn law enforcement officers;
(5) Persons in transit at the city regional airport may possess tools or hunting or fishing implements, including firearms, if unloaded and in compliance with applicable standards of the Federal Aviation Administration;
(6) Employees of the city, a utility company, or a contractor to the city, may possess tools approved by their employer so long as such tools are not used as a weapon;
(7) Persons possessing a written permit from the chief of police to possess weapons for ceremonial purposes or funerals.
(c) A conspicuous notice shall be posted at each entrance to any property set forth in subsection (a) of this section indicating that: "Possession of weapons or carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited." This indication may be given by use of a symbol. Such symbol is available for inspection at the office of the city clerk.
(d) Any person in violation of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be fined $500.00 or imprisoned for 30 days, or both.
(e) Weapons possessed in violation of this section are hereby declared to be contraband. The chief of police or his designee shall hold such weapon for disposal pursuant to court order. In the absence of any court order, the weapon shall be destroyed.
(Code 1987, § 9-20)
State law references: Authority to regulate firearms, G.S. 160A-189 et seq.