• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone ever had to draw their weapon?

Lovenox

Just wondering if anyone ever had to draw thier weapon or if a situation came close enough for you to do so and you didn't?

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
I have drawn my weapon once, but did not fire it.

I was doing some Geocaching up near Cascade Pass last January and was startled by a Black Bear just a few yards from the Geocache as I was putting it back where it belonged.

Fortunatly, the Bear was as afraid of me as I was of it, and took off running in the other direction. I changed my underwear, put the cache back, and moved on to the next one.

It did make me re-evaluate what I carry when in the woods, althought I have not changed my carry choice yet. I currently carry at .45ACP, but I have concerns that it would not be enough to dispatch a Bear. It does hold 13+1 rounds... but....

gsx1138

What was the situation?

Road rager coming up to my car while we were stuck in traffic. He had what looked like a tire iron in his hand. He stopped and went back to his car. I'm guessing he saw I had my kids in my car. But had he made it to my driver side window I would've already cleared plastic. It wasn't until after that I realized that it was very close to getting ugly. Because I realized that I would've shot him to keep him from hurting me or my kids. It's why I laugh at all the E-tough guys. Reality is so much different than internet 'what ifs'.

RWW- I seem to remember the bear shot by a hiker in Alaska was killed with a .45

Last edited:

Lovenox

Yes more than once.
Why do you ask???

Its a logical question since we don't carry as a mere accessory or eye candy. I am always thinking ahead two or three moves but never had an encounter where I had to draw, just wondering if others were in the same boat or had a different experience and how they handled it.

Lovenox

Road rager coming up to my car while we were stuck in traffic. He had what looked like a tire iron in his hand. He stopped and went back to his car. I'm guessing he saw I had my kids in my car. But had he made it to my driver side window I would've already cleared plastic. It wasn't until after that I realized that it was very close to getting ugly. Because I realized that I would've shot him to keep him from hurting me or my kids. It's why I laugh at all the E-tough guys. Reality is so much different than internet 'what ifs'.

RWW- I seem to remember the bear shot by a hiker in Alaska was killed with a .45

Close call. Lucky for him he did a 180 and you didn't make the 6 o'clock news.

amlevin

Once, about 40 years ago. Held two at gunpoint on my property while waiting for the sheriff's deputy to arrive. They complained about being held at gunpoint and the deputy told them "tough s***". They were vandalizing property and challenged me when I told them to stop and wait for the deputy to arrive. The fact that there were two, according to the deputy, and I was alone, was all the deputy cared about. It was justified in his mind and it went no further.

Lante

a few times,

1st young and ignorant...thought there would be police at the local PD department....Road rager followed, and I allowed myself to get blocked in.... drew the .410 derringer (little FMT can you believe) and RR got real wide eyed and left.

2nd, was drawn but under the jacket, when a rager had issues with the ex's driving....loud and threatening, pulled open the door, when additional carriers arrived, and he decided discretion was the better part of valor... (we were traveling in a group of cars from a civil war reenactors event.... Had to explain that one to the cops, as a local business owner called.....the PD was just happy it wasn't a real war....

3rd, Bear in yard, hungry and curious, and way too close, and not impressed by my yelling and waving.

tombrewster421

Every time I go to the range to kill some paper, and when I put it in the safe at night. ( Might do a little dry practice before putting it away though.)

Matt85

was forced to draw on a friends younger brother (20yr old), he was drunk and decided he didnt like a joke i made so he picked up a chair and came at me while i was sitting on the couch. this was a really tough decision since i was in his grandmothers house. im really glad i didnt have to use my pistol!

bennie1986

Walking downtown Spokane I was approached by a girl who asked for a cigarette and I told her I don’t smoke. Her brother and his friends took exception to the fact I was talking to her and despite her efforts to tell them she just asked me for a cigarette they decided to try and pick a fight. They were a bunch of wanna be thugs and I tried to just keep walking. I made it a few blocks with them about a half a block behind me yelling obscenities. Finally the brother to the young lady took off his shirt and started to close the gap as I was just under the train bridge. Once I realized he was committed to attacking me I turned towards him pulled my 9mm, which was concealed, and racked one in the chamber. I didn’t take am as that was enough for him and his buddies to turn around and run like hell.

G20-IWB24/7

This took place on April 9, 2010 at my office in Tacoma (6th Ave district):

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?72557-Drew-during-an-attempted-auto-theft-prowl

At around 9am this morning I was in my office, with my co-workers (the owner and his wife, and our secretary) and watched a car pull in to our parking lot through the back window of our building. The guy gets out and starts to fiddle with the door lock of another employee's truck. The secretary tells me "Go, go, go!!!! He's trying to steal it!" I run to our side door and exit it, and when I got to the corner of the building (roughly 30ft from the guy, with a clear line of sight), I said in a loud voice, "CAN I HELP YOU?!?" (I did not know for sure at this point that he had ill intentions, as he could have been a friend or relative of the trucks owner, and had been given instructions to borrow the truck, or that something of his was going to be leftthere for him to pick up.)

He didn't verbally respond, but instead ditched the truck (he had JUST gotten the door open) and began running back towards the open door on his vehicle. As he did this, I began running to the vehicles (which were parked next to each other, facing opposite directions), my boss was a few feet behind me. AsI approachedthe rear of his vehicle (I'm still at a full-sprint) I noticed he was fiddling with something near the center console, and I believed it was the shift-lever, but worried that it could have been him trying to access a weapon, I drew my Sig P220ST that I was concealing under my suitcoat, and began shouting for him to "Freeze!" (In retrospect, a "Show me your hands!" or "Shut off the car!" would have probably been better). He glances over his shoulder at the barrel of the Sig (wonder if he saw the mouth of the 230-grain Ranger T-series pointed at him), found "D" on the shifter finally, and peeled off away from me. I paralleled him down the parking lot (another 75 feet, or so) and he kept looking at me trying to see where I was (my Sig was still in my hands). He exited the parking lot and turned right onto the side street that it's on, driving opposite of my direction.

We got the plate number, vehicle & suspect description and called it all in. The detective that later talked to the victim (my co-worker) thought it was great that the suspect got a gun pulled on him during the incident, and jokingly said I should have shot out his tires... (jokingly, though I'd be lying if the thought didn't cross my mind during the incident, haha!). They have yet to locate the suspect, and I gave my statement over the phone to an officer that called back about 45 minutes after it took place. I made sure to update the suspect's clothing description to leather jacket and blue jeans with a brown stain (the officer laughs).

Outcomes:

1) No one got hurt.

2) Only damage caused was the plastic cover that holds the lock mechanism in place on the truck. No property or vehicle stolen.

3) The BG did get away, for now, but heknows he's not welcome in our parking lot anymore.

4) I was satisfied with my response to the incident (and that it was so automatic), and confident in my ability to respond to whatever might come up in the future.

5) An all-stainless Sig with a .45 caliber hole at the end is one helluva visual deterrent.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

That evening, I retired the chambered round, and wrote the date on it with a Sharpie. I figure that round had more than served its desired purpose. And it's a reminder to me to always be ready and willing to respond. I hope to never have anything like that happen again, but if it does.....

Oh, and a few days later, they had my boss (who was right behind me in the parking lot) do a photo lineup, so it appears as if they did have a suspect in custody. I was unavailable at the time, but they cancelled the appt they had to have me do the same lineup a few days later, so I'm guessing the guy plead-out.

-G20

WinchesterModel12

attempted car jacker a few years back.......he quickly decided my truck wasn't worth his life.

road rage guy that swerved at me several times..........suddenly he learned how to drive.

and a car prowler who had broke into my neighbors truck.......he bitched and moaned to the police about me pointing a gun at him, the cops told him he was lucky i didn't shoot him and told him to shut up.

when i was a teenager i had 1 guy shoot at me while hunting(heard the rounds going by) when i turned around he was getting ready to fire again, of course i ran and hid behind a log. i returned fire with a12G slugs. dude was arrested after leaving the hospital.

Leatherneck

On more than one occasion I've been woken from a dead sleep by my wife shaking me "I think someone's in the house!" Only once did we find the culprit - my step-daughter walking up the stairs to visit the bathroom. Luckily I had my piece behind my back, just in case it was one of the kids.

Jeff Hayes

3 times, 2 attempted home invasions 1st time my girlfriend yelled at me do you have your gun and they left. 2nd time the cops showed up before the door was broke down but just barley. The last time was a drunk at 2 am on a dark country road, he ran in front of my car at a stop sign and I had a car behind me so I could not back up, turned out he was just lost, he never saw the gun. I found out that my wife can hold her breath for a really long time. My wife saw me draw and thought I was going to shoot the guy. The guy ran out of the ditch with a cell phone in his hand and almost got shot, he will never know how close he came to dying that night. If I had been thinking faster I would have ran over him with the car.

Magister

Twice, unfortunately

Yep, twice. Snuck up on two kids in my car at 3am. Idiots were so blind they didnt see/hear me open a squeeky door, walk down some steps, and get behind them with the 12ga. The car points TOWARDS the front door too. Literally 12 o clock with a big flood light on the whole area. And next to a border patrol station too.

Second was at the 7-11 down the street. Pulled in, notice some homeless junkie bothering some woman with her 4yr old kid. Guy was asking for money and when she didnt "donate" to his bad habits the ass pulled a needle. Funny part is... the car that pulled in right behind me noticed this too and we both jumped out and drew on the guy at the same time. We had a funny little, "oh hey, hows it goin' moment?" when we noticed each other. Guy backed down fast and just sat right down. Turns out the guy had a hell of a rap sheet too. Ended well. Woman didnt get stabbed, genepool pollution went to jail, I got my Mt. Dew slurpee, and made a shooting friend. :D

All this in my first 6 months with a CPL. Figures...

Hammer

Yeah, twice.
Both instances ended well- I and my family walked away- OK, the time with family we drove away.
In the end, that's the purpose, isn't it? That you and those you care about get to keep breathing?