• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone ever had to draw their weapon?

sudden valley gunner

If you guys only grew up how I grew up.....lol.
A few years ago 12 gauge on my HOA security officers that were refusing to leave my property.

Last year when these thugs were casing my car when I was reading in it in a parking lot off Meridian. I kept pretending to read but took my gun out of the holster and racked a round (didn't have CPL) while they were approaching from different angles. A Veteran suddenly intervened and the guys quickly left, wish I knew what he said to them.

.45ACPaddy

I've never had to draw but this is the closest I've come...

Couple weeks ago I was at my neighbor's house cleaning guns and talking politics in his garage with the door open as usual. At one point in the evening we heard yelling and arguing from a house on the next street over. After it got dark out, we were standing out in the driveway and some woman came walking down the street toward my neighbor's house started stepping into his front yard. She started yelling at his daughter, who was outside on her phone. "You talking to Chuckie? You're talking to Chuckie arent you!" She got back on her phone and said something like "Hey guys they're over here, next street over, get over here" and I immediately got a sinking feeling in my stomach. As I turned my strong side away from the crazy woman I undid the thumb break on my holster and got my grip on it and flicked off the safety, but didn't clear leather. This was while my neighbor started yelling at her to get the F off his property and quit talking to his daughter like that. She refused at first, but backed right down when my neighbor started asking questions like "Who are you? Why are you here?" Didn't seem like she wanted to answer so she left.

About a half hour afterward, Lakewood Police were going up and down the surrounding streets and headed up and down our street a couple times. Saw three officers up at the corner of my street walking so they must have found the guy.

Thank God I didn't have to draw.

Son_of_Perdition

Ten years back or so one late summer night. I was laying in bed with the windows open to let in the cool summers night air when I could hear some Elk or deer outside my house rustling threw a tall patch of black berry bushes. You see, I have acreage in the country. I was just listening to them thinking to myself about which of my rose bushes or fruit trees they might be going after when one of them started TALKING. WTF!
I shot out of bed like the house was on fire and grabbed an SKS and a loaded 40 round mag. If people were in the house it would have been a 1911 but the SKS has a night scope. This isn’t like living in the city. No one is ever on my property by accident or happens to go past the house and me hear them. My drive way is over 600 feet long and the woods are dark and mostly impassable. People were here, in my back yard, at 3:AM. Grabbing the gun and ammo took probably all of about three seconds when I started a crossed my house at a full run. I was headed to the dinning room deck where I have the best tactical advantage above where the talking was coming from. At the moment I jumped out of bed I was livid, hopping, mad, pissed. I didn’t care at this point about cover or subtleties. I threw on the inside house and outside flood lights and stormed out like Al Pacino in Scarface. I wanted to be seen. I racked one in the chamber and barked “What the F*** are you doing in my yard.”
It turns out that it was a couple of Jr. High school kids sneaking out in the middle of the night looking to shave a couple of miles off the trip to town by going threw my Property. They were dragging bicycles threw the woods and when I showed up one of them dropped his and run like hell leaving his buddy neck deep in the briers. It was obvious at a moments notice that this was an act of poor judgment and not a robbery. The stuck kid was speaking 8 million miles a second explaining what they thought was a good idea as I lowered the gun and said in a most disappointed tone. Never ever walk threw someone’s yard at three in the morning. I was in no mood to help him out of the black berries so I simply went back in and turned off all the lights to leave him in utter darkness to fight his way out. If you know how dead black the woods get on a moonless night, you might appreciate the punishment I handed him.
I like to think of the encounter as a positive one. You can bet that those kids told other kids about what happened and that just might have discouraged some ill guided youth from getting into trouble of any sort on anyone’s property.

sirpuma

Back in the late 90s I used to work armed security. One of the gigs I would get assigned was security at a particular Mexican bar just outside of town that was a known trouble spot for the drug dealers. Every night they were open, starting around midnight till 2 when they would close, cops would just roll up and park in the parking lot and wait for the drunks and coke heads to come out. One night we had a fight between to rather large guys and we had to eject one of them. He went out to his Suburban, did a line or two and started driving circles around the bar waving a pistol out the window and fired off a few shots in the air. There were about 4 cop cars on his tail as he did this. All of us security guards were posted around all the entrances. When he finally stopped it was right in front of the front door where I and the owner of the security company were stationed. We both had our pistols half out of the holster as the big guy jumped out of his truck. Fortunately he had tossed his gun out at some point and about 6 cops tackled him.

A couple months ago I had thee young guys trespass on my property in a fight resulting from a drug deal. One had banged on my back door seeking help while his friend was dancing with the assailant. I confronted the two fighting with a Mag-Light and the business end of my XD. The assailant ran like a jack rabbit through my briers and jumped into a car that took off. Turns out the assailant had felt he got a bad deal from the other two and had jumped into the back of their pickup at the corner next to my place, busted out the back window and attacked them, causing them to drive into the ditch across from my place. Then they all came running on my property to fight it out. I had a good chat with the cops as they got a tow truck to pull them out.

Oh, and about 6 months ago or so I was awakened in the middle of the night by a loud crash in the living room. It only took a second or two to have my XD and be stalking down the hall. Fortunately it turned out to be my cat knocking a large owl candle holder off the window sill. I had thought someone was breaking in.

Last edited:

daddy4count

Only once the way you mean...

One of the cats set off our motion detector at night... I turned off the alarm, walked the perimeter to make sure it was just a cat, and then called the alarm company to give them the all-clear code.

Unfortunately they failed to call off the security guard that had been dispatched.

Sadly when he showed up on my property with a flashlight at 2am there was a slight... misunderstanding... near my back deck.

No "situation" really but we both got a small bump of adrenaline and he may have needed a change of pants.

Beretta92FSLady

Twice:

1) Someone high on drugs; we both had a bad day and subsequent year (I know I did, and I am positive he had a bad couple of months at least)

2) A group of people were walking down the street smashing windows out of cars. I walked out to my truck to investigate, with my handgun behind me. The police were called.

Nobody ever wins when shots are fired, there are only degrees of losing, IMO.

Last edited:

alienbogey

I've had my permit approximately 25 years and never had to draw. My buddy has had his permit for less than a year and about 3 months after he got it had to draw his Glock.

I'm not going to tell his story, but it was in Seattle and it saved he and his wife from being robbed or worse.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Once I had to retrieve my car gun (keltec p32) from the center consule. I was at a freeway offramp and being accosted by a homeless man working the intersection. I grabbed it and had it at the ready, I am sure he saw that as he backed off. At the same time the car ahead of me was able to move forward.

Tomas

Yes, and no shots fired.

Once in 1983 when I was home sick from work and one of the maintenance guys unlocked and opened the front door of my condo, came in and started up the stairs.

He had not knocked, he made no announcement, just walked in. He assumed I was at work. He was wrong.

He was about half way up the stairs when I challenged him and he froze like a deer in the headlights looking directly at the S&W 9mm aimed down at him from the top of the stairs.

I don't think he ever came back, and his boss was extremely careful to always call, knock, announce before entering (and stand outside for a bit and yell inside after opening the door on the few occasions he needed to enter when I wasn't home, according to a neighbor).

Once in 1998 when I was at a friend's house and a guy tried all the outside doors of her house then started levering the sliding door in the fenced back yard. He was very surprised when I slipped out the back door from the garage, flanked him, and challenged him. He was very good about tossing the large screwdriver away and sitting with his ankles crossed while we all waited for the police.

Closest I've come in civilian life, and that's close enough for me.

cynicist

Twice. Both were at the exact same location.
The first time I grabbed it after a carload of hoodrats slammed on their breaks and hear some sort of load "hey" type yelling between them, then slowly creeped by: I grabbed it in the holster and moved into bushes for concealment. A few minutes later, when I came out of the store I was on my way to when it happened I heard some shots; don't know if they were related. That happens pretty often where I live.
The second was on a Saturday night, after there had been dive by murders the previous two saturday nights (and another one a few days later- this was actually a few weeks ago) and some hoodrats (four or five) driving by started the whole "f*ck you ese" type nonsense, and considering the location, time, and aggressive behavior by the individuals, I drew a thing, didn't point anything, and they proceeded on their way, as I am sure they had things to do.

Oh yeah, one time the car alarm was going off at night, and it's one of those that you have to open the door to set off, and I kinda charged out with a flashlight and thing. Not the best idea, I know, but it's what I did.

bennie1986

Update: During lunch today was almost the second time I’ve had to draw.

I was on my normal OC lunch time walk downtown Spokane today, about 20 minutes ago actually, when I witnessed a guy start acting really aggressive to his female companion. I was talking to my wife on the phone and told her that I had to go in case it escalated and I needed to call police. As I was getting off the phone he started pushing her kind of hard and yelling so I yelled, “hey don’t push her”. He didn’t realize anyone was watching him until then and his automatic response was to confront me aggressively. He was about ten feet away and started to walk my direction telling me to, “shut the **** up”. I never got my hand on it but I started going for my 9mm in my serpa and when he saw what I was going for did a quick 180 and put his hands on his head (not like he thought I was going to arrest him but like wow I can’t believe he could have shot me) and started to walk away. I wasn’t really surprised when she went with him as that usually how those relationships are. I had already hit 911 on my phone so I followed though with the call and gave their description and location. Wow my adrenaline is still pumping.