• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSP Sign

DaveP

Hi all, 1st. post.
FYI was at the Michigan State police post at Corunna Rd. in Flint today.
They had a no weapons sign on their door to the lobby, asked the desk Sgt.
about it and he stated no firearms even in the lobby. I was cc at the time
and did not make an issue about it. Been long time lurking on this sight
and thought a few might be interested about the sign.
I had the impression the MSP were pretty "up" about the laws.
Dave

Agent1

I have been in the Corunna Rd. post many times CC over the last few years and I have never seen any sign. But I admit that I wasn't looking for a sign either. I always thought that it was a non-issue. I have a good friend there, I'll have to ask......

DaveP

Was the door on the east side of the building near Corunna Rd.
leading into the small lobby at the desk. I had no way to get a picture at
the time. Stuck to the door about waist high.
Dave

lapeer20m

That sign is unenforceable. Thank you for the pictures.

is it?

by definition, the STATE police is not a local unit of government. I am not saying the sign is necessarily enforceable, but 123.1102 would not apply in my opinion.

I was there getting a foia request (genesee county 911 central dispatch is in the same building) and noticed the sign a while back, but forgot to post about it.

here is a photo i took....this has been stored in my phone for a long time....(the mirror tint on the window makes for difficult photos)

msp+door+sign.jpg

Last edited:

sasha601

is it?

by definition, the STATE police is not a local unit of government. I was there getting a foia request (genesee county 911 central dispatch is in the same building) and noticed the sign a while back, but forgot to post about it.

That is absolutely correct. Michigan State Police building is not governed by any local Laws. They are governed by State Lawas. This means that firearms can not be restricted since there is no State Law prohibiting firearms in state owned public buildings. So, sign is still illegal

autosurgeon

As Sasha said it is not listed as a PFZ by state law and there is no law that gives any state agency power to make a PFZ on there own so therefor it is unenforceable and should come down!

This has nothing to do with preemption other than the fact that only the state legislature can make something a PFZ and only by statute!

DaveP

It looks like a pretty old sign....faded and a bit yellowed.
I wonder if this sign is a "local" thing at the Flint post or sorta
standard issue on all of them?
Today was the only time I can remember being in one of their
posts.
My take, based on the attitude of the officer working the desk is
that you won't be well recieved if you OC in their lobby.
Dave

Agent1

What if the building has a holding cell? Is it then a jail? If I remember correctly, There is a holding cell there. Just throwing that out there.

I hav'nt been able to get in touch with Steve yet to ask WTF?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
What if the building has a holding cell? Is it then a jail? If I remember correctly, There is a holding cell there. Just throwing that out there.

I hav'nt been able to get in touch with Steve yet to ask WTF?

I doubt a "holding cell" would be defined as a jail. Besides the lobby would be in an unsecured area of the "jail" and you should be okay. After all you can carry in the lobby of the Sheriff's Department and they have a real jail nearby.

LaVere

Flint Michigan State Police

I approched them about two years ago about the sign. He said Yes they can post it and it is legal and enforceable. In a very polite manner I said it is not and to talk to the Attorney General about it. Without answering my question or any other statement. He said get out of here and we're done here. I felt if I would had continued he WOULD had arrested me. By the way I chose NOT to carry for that meeting just in case.

Good luck to you all.

P.S. Flint airport also has no weapons sign on their doors. And I could not get them to change either. I was threatened with arrest and I was physicaly removed.

Last edited: