• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alberston's Supermarkets' COMPLETE Weapon Ban

Neanderthal75

Hey Everyone!

I just joined OC Forum, having found it via a Washington State site and like it a lot.

Living near Casper and carrying both OC and Concealed, I'm finding that I've begun to eyeball all the establishments into which I used to go non-carry/concealed, with a note for 'No Weapons allowed' attributes.

I have been informed by management at the Hill Top Albertson's (now legally a 'SuperValue' store), after they checked with 'home office', that Albertson's has a TOTAL BAN on ALL weapons.

Their definition of 'weapons', wait for it and believe it or not, are anything that is a blade or is a gun. This means that ANY pocket knife in your pocket will violate the Albertson's no weapons policy.

What I would like to do is to formulate a constructive, coherent, and coalesced response from as many people as possible, willing to sign their John Henry's (or Henrietta's) to a formal petition, which I would like to present/forward to managment locally, for them to send it up the chain of command.

Further, I'd like to initiate an email campaign and telephone campaign to RESPECTFULLY inform Albertson's/SuperValue management, that they could end up with a seriously negative financial impact from customer's shopping at other stores than Albertson's.

The local management was very understanding, very polite (the head manager is a really great guy), and in fact, he was not sure of the formal corporate stance until he got a direct answer from them.

He was not aware that pocket knives were included and knew that many of his customers carry concealed.

In short, it looks like OC is not welcome at any Albertson's and technically speaking, neither are CC customer's.

I'll check back on this thread to see how the response is and if my suggestions are viable.

I welcome the suggestions of others, as many heads are better than one.

Cheers.

AB

This is no different than the Casper StarBucks that was reading the employee regulations...when the manager said they had a weapon ban.

I second the last question, what made you ask them?

Neanderthal75

Reason for Albertson's response

Hey Y'all,

I didn't inquire of them initially: I was OC'ing and doing my usual shopping at Hill Top Alb. in the evening late (I live 40 miles outside of town so shop last thing before going home.) and had most of my shopping done, when a kid I knew who worked there (a good kid) who had been promoted to management (newly appointed) found me in an isle and informed me that store policy was that no guns were allowed in store.

I had shopped there OC for a couple months with no problems (usually early night before heading out) but this time some hoplophobic loon complained to the kid that my holstered carry made him 'feel nervous and uncomfortable'.

This prompted the kid to seek me out and inform me of store policy. I've always got along with the kid so I thanked him for the info and told him that I'd finish my shopping and then not OC in the store again, but would need to speak to the manager when next I was in town. That resolution was fine to him.

That was the end of the encounter.

A point of interest, I believe I know who it was that 'felt nervous and uncomfortable' as that same excuse has been used before: Mexican/Central-South A. Nationals, aka, Illegal Aliens. Most locals don't even bat an eye at me when I'm OC'ing, but the Mexican Nationals' eyes start to go from coffee cup saucer size to trying to bug out of their sockets sometimes, when they see my pistol.

Anywho, just before the kid found me, the ONLY person who I noted reacting hoplophobically to me OC'ing was a Mexican/C-S.A. National (yes, after being around them for so long and actually having Mexican descent family members all my life, I know them).

So, there you have it.

Next time I was in town I sought out the manager and conversed with him. I have the name and phone number of a guy at the home office for SuperValue, but have not yet contacted him.

"Strength in numbers" has always been a good motto militarily and politically, so I thought I'd talk to as many folks as possible (Anthony, I thought of you because of bapping gums with you first at the Wasatch Gun Show at the Fair Grounds, and exchanging emails through our Examiner positions later) to get a good read on a proper course of reasonable action: ie, 'reasonable' as defined in getting Albertson's to do a 180 on their policy and come into line with Starbucks.

I looked for a Posting of Albertson's policy, but there is not one anywhere to be found at the entrance to either Alb. in Casper and the manager confirmed that the policy is not posted.

On a slightly similar note, Eastridge Mall is also a non-carry environment and they do post, but their posting is NOT in line with State Law, in that the posting is NOT readily accessible through the normal actions of entry by a 'reasonable person': it's posted on the side walls on a poster in less than stellar size print.

There you have it my fellow OC'ers.

I wasn't hacked, just annoyed and didn't want to put the kid in a bind. He was very professional, friendly, and apologetic for the trouble he was causing (no trouble to me at the time, I still finished my shopping while carrying and then went home).

No cops were called and no hoopla ensued.

Suggestions as to accomplish the goals I've presented will be appreciated gentlemen.

Cheers and I look forward to reading your replies.

Last edited:

Las Vegan

Why would I sign my John Henry? It looks so good without any writing on it.

Oh wait, did you mean "John Hancock"?

jt59

Here's the response I got from Albertsons so far:

Dear John H....,

Thank you for contacting us regarding our policy about lawfully-carried firearms. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Your inquiry has been sent to our Corporate Customer Relations Department, as we do not have the information readily available. For your records, your case number is 1-287375514. You will receive a response by telephone or e-mail from this department within 24 hours.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our Customer Care Center at 1-877-932-7948 or by e-mail.

Sincerely,
Marie R.
Customer Care Representative

Hey all,

I responded to reading this with a call to Albertsons customer service here in Washington. The young women (presumption mine) wasn't sure of the answer, but forwarded it on to Corporate with the promise that someone would get back in 24 hours which they did.

The fellow I spoke with said "legal" was working on a written copy that I could get when it became available , but for now the official policy was that "whatever is allowed in the state is what we do". So open carry in our stores in WA is ok....he did say that while we make our best effort to communicate with the store mgr's, they don't always get the memo....

Carry on! (sorry):D

MatieA

I was in the Albertsons in Cheyenne yesterday, in fact several times this last week and nothing has been said. I was open carrying -- thought maybe I should clarify :) --

bobcul

Working with businesses - education by carrot and stick

Friends,

This topic came up most recently with the Walk In The Park action on Independence Day in Jackson.
Should that be the "Jackson Action" ;-)

In the WITP posting at;
<http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78539-Walk-In-The-Park-After-action-report-See-attached-PDF-s>

In posting #5 you will see the information I gathered from the town Chief of police, generally that signs in Wyoming prohibiting firearms, carry no force of law and only a request to leave, a refusal and a resulting criminal trespass complaint can get law enforcement involved.

I have never been in the position you describe and the careful followup and what appears to be the final resolution that they "will follow the rules of the state" is the best possible outcome. My personal reaction, if the situation becomes confrontational would be; if at the checkout to void the transaction, get a cash refund on the spot and leave the store with the purchased items sitting at the checkout, or if elsewhere in the store, sitting where the confrontation took place.

Then there are the Business Education Cards from the Knox Firearms Coalition. See the web at;
<http://firearmscoalition.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=356&Itemid=133>

Something like this for anyone on the OpenCarry.org forum would be nice. Just create your own suitably modified.

Keep on Keeping-on.

Burtonsville Bob

lakewood226

looking forward to a response I faced the same situation about 20mins ago in an albertsons I always OC in lakewood, wa.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Albertson's is closing a lot of stores in the south-east. You'd think turning away customers and insulting them would be lower on their to-do list now that they are on the brink of filing for bankruptcy.

But, alas, like so many other aspects of our economy, arrogance and hatred are more important than profit. With priorities messed up like that being so widespread, is it any wonder our economy if in the sh!tter?

jt59

Post #9 includes the verbal response.

Just for amusement (and milk for AM coffee), I went to the Albertsons on 40th and Bridgeport, in University Place, WA....wandered all around the store for about 20 minutes, "shopping". Had several employee's walking around me, in produce, meat, deli...went through the checkout with a few folks in front of me, then went over to stand in line with an employee coming off shift to check my lottery ticket....had an nice chat about winning millions until I stuck my ticket in the box...not a winner...."Better luck next time" she said and off I went....no issue at all.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
While doing some shopping a few weeks back, I had a coupon out of the weekly flyer for a specific price on some types of beef that were on sale. When I arrived at my Albertson's store here in the Denver area, they didn't have the price listed. It turns out that there are 2 separate companies that own and operate Albertson's stores.

Albertsons (officially New Albertson's, Inc.), a wholly owned subsidiary of Eden Prairie, Minnesota-based Supervalu, is a supermarket retailer that operates 529 grocery stores in Washington state, Arizona, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, California, and certain parts of Utah [1]. Supermarket News ranked parent company Supervalu number five in the 2007 "Top 75 North American Food Retailers".

* Albertsons LLC, a privately-owned company licensing the "Albertsons" brand from Supervalu, operating in Arizona, Florida, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas.

I carry here in the ones in my area of Colorado and have never had anyone say anything.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

While doing some shopping a few weeks back, I had a coupon out of the weekly flyer for a specific price on some types of beef that were on sale. When I arrived at my Albertson's store here in the Denver area, they didn't have the price listed. It tuens out that there are 2 separate companies that own and operate Albertson's stores.

I carry here in the ones in my area of Colorado and have never had anyone say anything.
Hope this helps.
I've OC'd at Albertsons in COS. Not a second glance. Same at Safeway, same at Wal-Mart, same at Lowes. As someone posted, Albertsons is in trouble and closing stores. There are lots of alternatives, so turning away any customer one time will probably cost them his business thereinafter. Not very smart.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Is that the only practical place to shop? The reason that I ask is, there could be a supporting retailer who is "more deserving" of your business, and here you are trying to gently force the "anti" to take your money.

To look at it in a constitutional view, you are trying to insert your right to carry over the property owners rights. it seems a bit contradictory of us to excercise our rights over the top of other peoples.

If that is the only store that is practical to shop at, I understand your dillema. but look what the Brady campaign did to Starbucks over the spring/summer of this year, it was uncomfortable to say the least,as well as innefective, all they want to do is sell coffee.

When I am asked to leave a place, I sincerley thank the manager for stating his/her views and I respect their rights as I would like to have mine respected.

At the same time you cannot win the battle if you do not fight, it takes all kinds, and I wish you the best outcome, I am not trying to be judgemental as I do not know all the facts, just playing devils avacado.