• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions from a newbie

RasberryLCP

I have a few questions if anyone can help me out. I have been very well educated on guns by sprinklerguy but as I have just recieved my CPL im alittle nervous to step out alone with it.
My first question pertains to bowling alleys....if it has a bar inside do I have to open carry in the whole bowling alley even if I dont enter the bar area? My second question pertains to ammo. What is the best range ammo for a .380 ruger LCP?
Thanks,
Raspberry

kyleplusitunes

i believe you only have to open carry in the bowling alley IF the ATTACHED Bar is responsible for a majority of the income for the entire establishment, which includes the bowling alley, so, I am about 99% sure that you can conceal inside a bowling alley if you wish.

someone should be along shortly to confirm/deny

as for ammo. I dunno.

Chrome coytoe

I am going to refrain from answering the first question because I know that there are much wiser folks on here then I.

For the second, My WTB has a 380, and I have a g23. We both just use PMC for target shooting. Never had any problems.

stainless1911

Banned
Welcome !

Since you have a CPL, just OC, and you don't have to worry about it.
The bowling alley itself is vrry likely the actual license holder, so it would be argued against you that the entire property would fall under the license. the question that would matter then, is wether they got to the 50% cutoff for alcohol sales. If its below 50%, then you can CC, if its over 50%, then you have to OC.

Ammo. The gun will tell you. That's the only real way to tell. Experiment with different brands and types until you find something that works flawlessly in your gun, and still has adequate teminal performance. I've heard of people using FMJ, especially during wintertime, to compensate for layers of clothing.

check this out. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

kryptonian

oc bowling alley

we're all missing the most important thing...how can you bowl good while OC on hip?

fozzy71

...the question that would matter then, is wether they got to the 50% cutoff for alcohol sales. If its below 50%, then you can CC, if its over 50%, then you have to OC.

It never says 50%. A bowling alley with a bar has more than 2 sources of income, typically.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ue...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-425o

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A school or school property except that a parent or legal guardian of a student of the school is not precluded from carrying a concealed pistol while in a vehicle on school property, if he or she is dropping the student off at the school or picking up the child from the school. As used in this section, "school" and "school property" mean those terms as defined in section 237a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.237a.

(b) A public or private child care center or day care center, public or private child caring institution, or public or private child placing agency.

(c) A sports arena or stadium.

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that "This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons". The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may, but is not required to, post the sign developed under this subdivision. A record made available by an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, necessary to enforce this subdivision is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.

(e) ........

Last edited:

fozzy71

The primary source is where the 50% comes into play, if its over 50% its primary. Correct?

45/40/15

It can be the primary source, and still be less than 50%

I have an LCP and that's what I use for practice, too. I load it with Remington 88 gr. JHP for personal defense. Both function flawlessly and I've never had a jam.

How many rounds thru it? I have been wanting to get one of these for a pocket/cc gun.

Last edited:

Agent1

How many rounds thru it? I have been wanting to get one of these for a pocket/cc gun.

Me Too! The only hold up so far has been that around here, it is near impossible to find .380 ammo. When you do, you have to pay out the :cuss::shocker:

On the cheap, the Fiocchi brand has been good range ammo for me for years in many different calibers.

In my little home town, we have a bowling alley that has a bar, but they are two different entities. The bar serves drinks out on the lanes but they have different buisness names and the Liquor License is for the Bar name. Even before the the owner split them up for tax reasons, he told me that the bar was about 10% or less of the net profits. No money in beer these days I guess.