• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone OC in Griffith park LA?

aguililla

Hi, I read the post here often. Just wondering if anyone know about OC in a Municipal park? Thank you.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Your best bet is to search/read your municipal codes. Usually keywords such as "park", "firearm", "gun", "pistol", "griffith" should turn up information concerning carrying in Griffith. Any laws which outright prohibit the carrying in the park are unenforceable though as the state laws supersede local ones. There are state laws prohibiting you from entering publicly owned buildings as well as state parks.

hgreen

Your best bet is to search/read your municipal codes. Usually keywords such as "park", "firearm", "gun", "pistol", "griffith" should turn up information concerning carrying in Griffith. Any laws which outright prohibit the carrying in the park are unenforceable though as the state laws supersede local ones. There are state laws prohibiting you from entering publicly owned buildings as well as state parks.

Illegal and unenforceable are two distinct items.

Redondo PD demonstrated last weekend exactly how a PD can enforce illegal laws/municipal codes.

Don't violate illegal codes unless you have the time/money/job that will allow you to legally challenge it and clear your name if arrested and charged.

bigtoe416

Redondo PD demonstrated last weekend exactly how a PD can enforce illegal laws/municipal codes.

This is factually incorrect. Redondo PD demonstrated how a PD can intimidate the public into following laws which are illegal. Nobody was arrested, people were just intimidated into behaving the way the city wished people to behave.

I used the word "unenforceable" previously because while police officers can arrest you for municipal codes, you have a incredibly strong defense since the codes conflict with state law, which makes them void. I don't view the ability of the police to arrest somebody as enforcing the law. I view the legal system in its totality as enforcing the law, and I do not believe a municipal code such as Redondo's would be enforceable.

hgreen

This is factually incorrect. Redondo PD demonstrated how a PD can intimidate the public into following laws which are illegal. Nobody was arrested, people were just intimidated into behaving the way the city wished people to behave.

I used the word "unenforceable" previously because while police officers can arrest you for municipal codes, you have a incredibly strong defense since the codes conflict with state law, which makes them void. I don't view the ability of the police to arrest somebody as enforcing the law. I view the legal system in its totality as enforcing the law, and I do not believe a municipal code such as Redondo's would be enforceable.

Are you available to come test this assumption? It'd be great to have a test subject that is willing to do this.

I'm sure we could find people willing to cover your travel expenses.

bigtoe416

Are you available to come test this assumption? It'd be great to have a test subject that is willing to do this.

I'm sure we could find people willing to cover your travel expenses.

It's not an assumption. Bobbarker was arrested for violating a municipal code against carrying a firearm. Funnily enough, charges were never filed. In Palo Alto, a meetup was held despite there being a citywide municipal code against carrying firearms in public.

As far as your offer, I'm sure I'll get my chance to do legal battle with the powers that be. The idea of getting arrested 400 miles away from where I live doesn't sound very appealing though.